Anchor chain tensioner..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
So other than tying down the anchor when fully retracted do some of your folks use an anchor tensioner so the anchor doesn't rattle around and remains securely in its place? If you do, any recommendations?

Edited in, "Anchor chain tensioner" not just anchor tensioner. I can't change the title of the thread though.

No, but I can - done..! Don't mench... :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
My setup sits pretty tightly once the windlass pulls it in due to the nature of the roller setup. If you can get your anchor to retract against something, that should do the trick. I do tie it down as well with a piece of 3/8" double braid through the shackle slot. I use line, that way I can snug it up firmly when I tie it down every time, rather than a fixed tie down that would have less tension on it.

I have a chain hook on the end of a 6' length of 3 strand. This is used to set the anchor, a lunch hook snubber, and as a chain tensioner when the anchor is up and stored. It is secured to the cleat that sits next to the windlass.

I have a chain hook on the end of a 6' length of 3 strand. This is used to set the anchor, a lunch hook snubber, and as a chain tensioner when the anchor is up and stored. It is secured to the cleat that sits next to the windlass.

I have one of those S hooks on my snubber, not my favourite tool which reminds me to replace it. But I guess I could use the snubber hook to hold in the anchor while underway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use a snap hook tied with a short length of dyneema. There's a ring welded on the pulpit for it. You can see it on the right in this picture where I was refurbing the Maxwell windlass.

Attachments

• 20181005_095502.jpg
    20181005_095502.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 42
  • snap hook.jpg
    snap hook.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I have one of those S hooks on my snubber, not my favourite tool which reminds me to replace it. But I guess I could use the snubber hook to hold in the anchor while underway.

This is the type (not this brand I don't think) that I use. Mine was very inexpensive but works great.

10072015.jpg

I used one of these on a boat I owned that didn't have a windlass:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=934454

I use the windlass to bring the anchor home and a hook with a length of dyneema as a safety strap now.

I use this hook on one of my anchors.
The other gets tightened by the windlass and doesn't rattle.
Both also have a small diameter nylon safety line.

Whatever you use also add a safety line. You need one. I'll save you the story.

Yes I use a small dia nylon line as a “hold-back”. A bowline loop in one end. I pass the line through the anchor rode attach hole/slot and back around one of the deck cleats and cinch it tight pulling back on the line through the bowline loop. Tie it off tight and it’s always worked for me.

To control rotating/swinging back and forth
I’ve used a bungi w however many wraps and tightness is necessary. With some or many deck arrangements this will or will not work.

I use a stainless ratchet strap run from a deck cleat and then ease the anchor chain back a bit. Most windlass manufacturers tell you not to leave the tension on the Gypsy.

Most windlass manufacturers tell you not to leave the tension on the Gypsy.

This is helpful and makes sense.

Most windlass manufacturers tell you not to leave the tension on the Gypsy.

This is helpful and makes sense.

That is correct. The 'proper' way to do it is to bring the anchor home, affix a tensioner, then release the tension on the windlass. That is why I use Dyneema, it is significantly stronger than nylon of the same diameter and doesn't stretch.

I used one of these on a boat I owned that didn't have a windlass:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=934454

I use the windlass to bring the anchor home and a hook with a length of dyneema as a safety strap now.

That's what I used to do also. Guards against accidental hitting of the up/down switch, (by little fingers..?), causing anchor drop, and takes the tension off the winch shaft and gypsy.
As some others also mentioned, it can double as the snubber for a nice calm day lunch stop.

Last edited:
I like both a tensioner and tie down and relieve tension on windlass. Lots of good examples by members here.

We don't have a place for a tensioner like Shew noted. The boat came to us with a chain hook that was kept on the ears of the winch we have, but never really kept the anchor tight. I added another chain hook and short line to a cleat (that was already there) just in front of the windlass for cinching the anchor down tight. We use that for keeping the anchor tight up against the front roller when under way. It still sways a little. The tension we get is what we are able to pull on the short piece of line as we are cleating it off. I could maybe get more tension with thinner line that would stretch, but didn't want something too thin that might break at some point... In short, I think I'm basically doing what Willy does but with a chain hook instead of a bowline.

20200515_143955.jpg

As an extra safety measure we also attach the chain as snug as we can get it but don't put any strain on the winch in the process; just what we can do by hand.

20200515_144003.jpg

We use the chain exclusively to relieve any strain from the winch when setting the hook. As we are backing down and have deployed our pre-determined amount of chain (before the anchor bites), the hook is put on the chain, and slack added to ensure no strain is taken by the winch/shaft as the anchor bites. (I've since reconfigured the short piece of chain so the loop drops around the after ear of the windlass, it gives a much better angle on hooking the chain for this purpose.)

20200515_143817.jpg

Once we're set with a bridle and a loop of chain deployed the chain hook is back on for safety, just for the general principle.

Having two hooks, one on a line and one one a chain seems clunky to me, but its working for us for now and seems to be protecting the winch and keeping things redundant for us. Having two of the same hook working the same way is simple at least. At some point we'd like to reconfigure the windlass/bow area to rise the windlass to be in line with the bowsprit and add some storage lockers. At that point we'll probably look to reconfigure how we are securing the anchor when its home...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom