Anchor ball displayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need, it's an honor system. Good on you!

BTW, I also have one, it doubles as a radar reflector when under way (flat ball when a shape, 3D 3 level reflector when underway), but I never put it up.

Same here. But I'm inspired by this thread to start using it.

I agree. I think we can all "lead by example", and operate our boats properly. Who knows, maybe it will start to catch on. Maybe boaters will start to be embarrassed by how little they know. Or maybe not, since ignorance is generally celebrated here in the good ol' USA.

Oh how true...

My experience is that Americans view hobbies as just fun things to do. Many have the money to do things but not the time, energy, or willingness to study the hobby. Thus rules, regs, courtesies, customs of the hobby are greatly ignored.

Heck cant get most people to read instructions on even the most simple purchases...what's everyone's favorite expression now ..." just YouTube it"!

You see them more in NE than in FlView attachment 105188 but there are usually other issues.

Now this photo raises a question. The day shape is a replication of the all-around white light at night. The light needs to be a 360.

Wouldn't the ball also need to be 360 as it gives indication of your status from all approaches.

I believe the regs are quiet on this, saying "where best can be seen" maybe inferred as the shape must take on the rules of the light?

Last edited:
Good point Menzies, Fly the anchored day shape at a high enough location for 360 degree viewing, top of fly bridge, pilothouse or anchor light mast to be effective.
Common sense some times not part of regulations.
Online for about $20 or easy DIY project or have a black cover made for your round fender.

Last edited:
The actual rule...

Rule 30 - Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground Return to the top of the page

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen: Vessels at Anchor

(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in Rule 30(a)(i), an all-round white light.

My guess that as a DAY shape, if you come up behind someone, rearending them isnt a preferred option with or without being anchored...but slightly interpretive between the requirements forward enough to show where the anchor most likely is (say a rectangular barge) and visible all around so anchored is clearly the situation..

I prefer the rigging as leaning toward being visible all around to me is more important and on out boats the anchor end (usually) is more clearly understood.

I display one. It gets tied to a boat hook that stands up in one of my fender holders on the bow, so it's about 6 feet above the deck on one side of the bow.

I'm sure nobody around here has a clue what it means, but I tend to anchor further out then most here, so anything that helps people know I'm anchored is good. Most around here seem to think that if there's more than 2 feet under the props, it's too deep to anchor. Of course, I've seen many that only carry 50 feet of anchor line...

I thought is would be fun to be the only person in Maine properly showing a steaming cone when motoring with sail up. I had to stop because of the hazard caused by people coming too close to yell, "What's that thing up in your rigging?".

I don't think the regulations specify how high the ball must be displayed. I just hang mine from my mast about three or four feet off the F.B. I display it because it is kind of fun.

Arn't most radar reflectors made from aluminum or some shiny silver cardboard? The anchor ball must be black. I'm not sure the radar reflector would be as effective in black.

pete

I have never really understood the anchor ball rule, it could be more of a East coast thing. On the West side our anchorages tend to be not on a waterway and tucked into a cove or bay that is not a through way. If a boat is in these areas it's anchored.

Is the rule one or those antiquated rules that was drafted before everyday folks had radar and binoculars ?. The anchor light is a no brainer of course, folks do move around anchorages at night.. but I am still lost on the day shape thing.
Could be the rule was drafted prior to average folks wearing glasses.. like pre WW2.

I would guess that I see 1 day shape on the west coast for every 10,000 anchored boats.. I might be underestimating that number.

HOLLYWOOD

The problem with the reg as written is that there are now plenty of downeasters and express boats that don't have anywhere above the superstructure to attach a ball. Their anchor light tends to be a six inch pole attached to the roof.

The problem with the reg as written is that there are now plenty of downeasters and express boats that don't have anywhere above the superstructure to attach a ball. Their anchor light tends to be a six inch pole attached to the roof.

Still the skippers responsibility to figure it out.

I have never really understood the anchor ball rule, it could be more of a East coast thing. On the West side our anchorages tend to be not on a waterway and tucked into a cove or bay that is not a through way. If a boat is in these areas it's anchored.

Is the rule one or those antiquated rules that was drafted before everyday folks had radar and binoculars ?. The anchor light is a no brainer of course, folks do move around anchorages at night.. but I am still lost on the day shape thing.
Could be the rule was drafted prior to average folks wearing glasses.. like pre WW2.

I would guess that I see 1 day shape on the west coast for every 10,000 anchored boats.. I might be underestimating that number.

HOLLYWOOD

It probably helps to understand that a lot of the rules were written for commercial vessels when recreational vessels over 30' were rare. For a commercial vessel coming into an anchorage or Quarantine area, it makes perfect sense to be able to identify moving versus anchored vessels.

Ted

Perhaps, Giggitoni, that's a fishing line of some sort extending from the bow of your boat in the avatar ;-)

Wouldn't the ball also need to be 360 as it gives indication of your status from all approaches.

The ball is to be located near/at the forward end of the vessel. Even if not visible from the stern, the "overtaking" boat is required to avoid the rearward-approached vessel.

I have always had one, and have honestly only ever used it when anchored outside a recognized anchorage.

In the USA, anchor-signals (light and day shape) are to be displayed in designated anchorages unless they are "special" where specifically exempted. In central California, the only special/exempted anchorage is Richardson Bay located between Sausalito and Belvedere.

The ball is to be located near/at the forward end of the vessel. Even if not visible from the stern, the "overtaking" boat is required to avoid the rearward-approached vessel.

The rule isn't worded exactly like that.

Where most visible in the forward part of the vessel is the premise

What takes precedent, visibly or forward part?

I don't own an anchor ball marker with which to fly on my bow. I should, but I don't. You'll have to wind through 100 tightly packed boats anchored in the well established anchorage (in the middle of the DAY) before you pass me. I find it hard to think any reasonable judge will assess blame on me in a situation where there is an allision in which "I" am the anchored vessel, as a result of my failure to fly an archaic signal.

Now, If I'm anchored alone in or near a channel...sure I can see the need to for that particular signal.

I don't own an anchor ball marker with which to fly on my bow. I should, but I don't. You'll have to wind through 100 tightly packed boats anchored in the well established anchorage (in the middle of the DAY) before you pass me. I find it hard to think any reasonable judge will assess blame on me in a situation where there is an allision in which "I" am the anchored vessel, as a result of my failure to fly an archaic signal.

Now, If I'm anchored alone in or near a channel...sure I can see the need to for that particular signal.

I am often surprised at what maritime courts find important or not.

Archaic? Why archaic? I will admit Colregs are mostly suited for large and/or commercial vessels....but if they apply.... rather than 2 sets of rules....why archaic?

Last edited:
Archaic or not it is the regulation. Why not just do it? It isn’t expensive or difficult to do. People just want to say I don’t want to do it so I won’t. That may have worked fine 100 years ago, but now we all agree to work within the rules so that we can get along. Just hang your ball up.

Anchors set, Balls aloft, Anchor drag watch and cocktails till sunset. ��

Let me get this straight, people here are recommending that you have a radar reflector in the shape of a sphere, as well as a "black, at anchor sphere"? Is that about it?

So to simplify, people here are telling others to just get a set of balls?:whistling:

Let me get this straight, people here are recommending that you have a radar reflector in the shape of a sphere, as well as a "black, at anchor sphere"? Is that about it?

So to simplify, people here are telling others to just get a set of balls?:whistling:

Don't forget the thruster plugs!

No, radar reflectors are not required, just smart. Anchor balls are required when you anchor. Someone suggested that they could be the same thing and personally I see no problem except that someone may confuse what you mean to be a radar reflector with an anchor ball while you are not anchored. So a round radar reflector may be confusing???

I don't use one. Guess I should cobble one together.

I see commercial boats with these things mounted PERMANENTLY on a mast or staff. They are WELDED on so the very guys the rules were written for are flouting the law yet they don't get jacked up. They or the builders know better.

Oh well, no excuses, and judges don;t always make reasonable decisions.

And I do have a permanently mounted radar reflector about 13 ft up mounted on my eng. exhaust stack. Looks right at home with the rest of my boat.

Not sure the rules were written for fishing vessels who seem to use the permanenty welded shapes the most.

I find it curious that they are dumb enough to have the fishing dayshape up and welded even when passing through a "closed fishing area"....instant violation if the LEOs wanted to push it.

I wish they would enforce enough to show that dayshapes, while a PIA in some respects, do have benefits if used correctly and downsides for not.

Last edited:
Yes, fishing day shapes always seem to be permanently displayed. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom