Gopher Broke is Headin' Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. Lake Michigan is the goal here. Either Sturgeon Bay or Milwaukee. S.B. is preferred but either is fine. What would be a bummer is if they can't get past the Hammond area. A lot tougher for us to reach and them to get out of. We'll know a lot more this time tomorrow!
BD

Just cleared Starved Rock lock! Mostly a 7 knot day today. Weather forecast looks mostly positive overall today - one thunderstorm rolling through that might drop a quarter inch of rain. Encouraged.

BD

Lock timing has been literally perfect today - zero wait time. Already through Marseilles and Dresden, and only about 10 miles to go to Joliet.

Incredible luck continues! I'm stunned by how well this is unfolding. They had zero wait at both Brandon Road and Lockport, and they're now basically unabated to Lake Michigan. They are going to go long today and, quite possibly, make it to the Lake. If not, they'll be just short of it. Moreover, forecasted conditions on Lake Michigan look quite favorable tomorrow, with only a small chance of thunderstorms. They could make one heck of a run tomorrow if all the stars align.

Very grateful and thankful for this incredible progress today. I'll sleep a lot better tonight.
BD

I've enjoyed your saga!
Why didn't you take the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, and sail through downtown Chicago? Too many bridge openings to mess with?

:dance:They're in their slip safe and sound!:dance:

So happy that all went smoothly today. FAR exceeded expectations. Tomorrow we'll see what we get but today all of those risks of flooding and lock closures are behind us.

Time for a very well aged bourbon.
BD

I've enjoyed your saga!
Why didn't you take the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, and sail through downtown Chicago? Too many bridge openings to mess with?

Yes per Captain Matt, you only go that way for the photos. Total PITA. Plus I'm not even on the boat for the photo op!

So where are they? North of Hammond? I thought Chicago harbors are still closed.

Looks like nice weather for travelling north. Tough part's over :)

They're in Hammond marina, which is Indiana. Chicago opens Friday if I'm not mistaken.

They're in Hammond marina, which is Indiana. Chicago opens Friday if I'm not mistaken.

We don’t know when Chicago is opening...”early June” unless we get surprised....

You're right. I was looking at the governor's statement, not the mayor's.
BD

I see the boat is now officially in Gopherland...Congratulations!!!! That's a great crew you've hired. I think they may be deserving of some of that well aged bourbon when they get her home!

What's the plan for today? Or are they having too much fun to stop??

....the GPS track is aimed at Manitowoc, Wisconsin, and they're steaming right along.

Exactly. Manitowoc is the target tonight. Hitting some patchy fog but otherwise things are running smoothly. Make up for the Dodge games they had to play yesterday. Autopilot on and feet up on the dash ...

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_151507_01.jpg
    IMG_20200527_151507_01.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 43
RADAR and AIS working strong?
Nothing like a straight line.....

Last edited:
Great progress. They appear to be on the dock. Congrats!

Yes - mostly. AIS is working fantastic. Radar is working fantastic but not aimed properly (I didn't add a wedge to compensate for hull rise) so it is far more sensitive behind you than in front of you. NOT ideal. I have the wedge and will install it as soon as I get to the boat.

BTW today was the first chance to really test the spare props on flat water with no current. Asked them to do a WOT test to see how they turned. Here are the tachs (starboard always reads just slightly higher for some reason). Just over the 2600 spec, so I'd say that's great. 2200 produced 19 knots, which crawled to 20 as the South winds developed throughout the day.

The reason I was concerned was that the spares are a different size (25x29 instead of the 26x28 we pulled). Capt Matt likes these better.

Attachments

• WOT tachs.jpg
    WOT tachs.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 42
Fun! You can see her for about 1 second as it flies past. But good to see anyway. Thanks!

Are you leaving for Sturgeon Bay tomorrow? Is the hired Captain going along, or heading home from Manitowoc?

Yes Sturgeon Bay tomorrow. I'm not actually on the boat - I disembarked as we entered the Illinois. The boat will be left with CenterPointe yard and they will haul it Friday AM. Matt and Terry will leave for home Friday AM as well. My wife and I will pick it up on June 12 (or whenever the repairs are done) and take her through the Soo Locks back to Bayfield. It's 3 long delivery days or a nice week of vacation if conditions support it. We're looking forward to it.
BD

Find your ‘sea clutter’ and adjust that down.

Does Captain Matt say why he like the prop?

Beaver Island is a nice stop, but not sure what is open.

South Manitou Island is a nice anchorage.

Grand Marais, MI is a quaint little town. We used to frequent the Dunes Saloon for good pizza and beer.

BTW today was the first chance to really test the spare props on flat water with no current. Asked them to do a WOT test to see how they turned. Here are the tachs (starboard always reads just slightly higher for some reason). Just over the 2600 spec, so I'd say that's great. 2200 produced 19 knots, which crawled to 20 as the South winds developed throughout the day.

The reason I was concerned was that the spares are a different size (25x29 instead of the 26x28 we pulled). Capt Matt likes these better.

When you get time, you'll want to test your tach calibration. The Faria tachs are accurate at one adjustment point, not so much everywhere else on the RPM range. And calibration could account for your port/starboard difference, too.

Many have changed to Aetna digital tachs, easy drop-in.

-Chris

Does Captain Matt say why he like the prop?

Yes he said it felt like the stern didn't want to sit down quite as much at cruise. But measured speeds were very close. It was more a "feel" thing.

Beaver Island is a nice stop, but not sure what is open.

South Manitou Island is a nice anchorage.

Grand Marais, MI is a quaint little town. We used to frequent the Dunes Saloon for good pizza and beer.

Yes. When you used to visit towns and meet people, and go to places. The good ole days. Hopefully by next year we can be back to cruising.

When you get time, you'll want to test your tach calibration. The Faria tachs are accurate at one adjustment point, not so much everywhere else on the RPM range. And calibration could account for your port/starboard difference, too.

Many have changed to Aetna digital tachs, easy drop-in.

-Chris

Thanks Chris. The tach difference drives me CRAZY. I'll definitely look into calibration.

Back
Top Bottom