Opinions on Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
So Walmart has 5 gallons of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 for $64. It is synthetic blend. I would be using this in a Cummins 6BTA motor. What do you think?

So Walmart has 5 gallons of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 for $64. It is synthetic blend. I would be using this in a Cummins 6BTA motor. What do you think?

Going to sit back and watch the sparks fly. My comment would be review the Cummins requirements for oil. If this oil meets it then you should be fine. Many people have great passion over their favorite oil that has served them well for 200 years. But rarely are the opinions based upon any science. I cannot/will not argue with that but when it comes to oil the manufacturers are usually pretty clear about what specs it needs to meet so that makes it an objective choice.

No sparks flying here but DelVac, Delo and Rotella are all 15-40 designed for Diesel engines. Up until five years ago I ran two Isuzu 30’ box trucks and my trusty Ford 7.3 diesel and my Intercoastal office Bristol 42 running a Cat D333. The box trucks ran Delo cause my service shop used it, my 7.3 and D333 ran Rotella but if there was no Rotella no problem switching to DelVac. All three of these lubricants will meet manufactures specs in fact exceed them I’m sure. I would not worry one bit but as you suspect you’ll get opinions without facts that one is better than the other.

Rick

Delo 100 is formulated for two stroke diesels. Delo 400 is formulated for 4 stroke diesels. Rotella and Delvac make no distinction. I see no issues here.

Thank you for the replies. I checked on the sbmar website and this oil meets the specs.

Attachments

• 57B1C519-73A4-4DF8-B8AA-BAAD20169D1B.jpg
    57B1C519-73A4-4DF8-B8AA-BAAD20169D1B.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 54
If it meets the CD, CH, CI, CJ or whatever spec Cummins call for, then you are good to go.

I have almost 50 years of HD machinery repair behind me. 1000’s of engines all shapes and sizes. I have yet to see an engine fail by the ‘ wrong ‘ oil. If an oil meets spec , go for it. If you can’t find the recommended oil, don’t lose sleep.

Can't speak to the specific oil you're considering, but regular oil changes with oil analysis will tell you how well it's working. From my own experience, I used the engine manufacturer's recommended oil with less than stellar results. After the warranty period expired, I switched to my normal brand that I used in my charter boat and Dodge diesel pickup (521,000 miles and still going). Oil analysis after several changes reduced wear metals to near or zero in all categories.

My two take aways are that some engines seem to do better with different brands of oil meeting the same specifications and nothing tells you how well an oil is working like oil analysis.

Ted

Does Cummins specify a synthetic blend for 6BTAs?

-Chris

That is a great price. If it is compatible to your engines I would buy a five year supply..

pete

Does Cummins specify a synthetic blend for 6BTAs?

-Chris
Dino, blend, or full, it doesn't matter as long as the oil meets the SAE alphabet requirements. Brands are interchangeable for the same reason.

Dino, blend, or full, it doesn't matter as long as the oil meets the SAE alphabet requirements. Brands are interchangeable for the same reason.

Yes, understand that, but (without shopping) would have thought the synth blend would be more expensive than regular dino... and for no real benefit unless specified by Cummins in OP's case.

Full synth is specified for our engines, and it's actually a relatively short list of available products that will meet the requirements. Even though there are some blends that also meet the same certs. Of course the approved full synth oils that meet that cert also cost an arm and a leg.

-Chris

......Full synth is specified for our engines, and it's actually a relatively short list of available products that will meet the requirements. Even though there are some blends that also meet the same certs. Of course the approved full synth oils that meet that cert also cost an arm and a leg.

Walmart has Rotella T6 synthetic for about $25/gal. Of course, this is 2x the price of Mobile Delvac in OP, but Rotella is a trusted brand for diesel oil. Not sure it has the API ratings you're looking for, but retty reasonable cost. What oil do you use?

Peter Screenshot_20221214_051711_Walmart.jpg

Last edited:
Some years ago, when active in large diesel operations, I ran across a few manufacturer publications that could be paraphrased as follows:

"Virtually all diesel engines made today fall under a basket of environmental criteria specs. Many engine builders have found that full synthetics may provide benefits in soot and NOxes releases. Others have found that urea is of additional benefit whne tight specs are required for emissions security.

With the emissions related small differences between popular blends and full synthetics as measured at the tailpipe, full synthetics are recommended for emissions compliance. For warranty applications in marine or off highway full syns are not required."

Some come back by those experts in the "business" that are on TF could add to the above as pure BS or factual.

Walmart has Rotella T6 synthetic for about $25/gal. Of course, this is 2x the price of Mobile Delvac in OP, but Rotella is a trusted brand for diesel oil. Not sure it has the API ratings you're looking for, but retty reasonable cost. What oil do you use?

Peter View attachment 134453

Thanks. T6 5W-40 is one of the ones "approved" for our use, and a few months ago I got 20 gallons from Tractor Supply at $28/gallon. At that time, they were less expensive than the Walmart price, and I could get it in 2.5 gallon jugs, slightly easier for me to work with.

Another is Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40, but it seems more difficult to find that, and it was more expensive when I was last shopping. The (older, I think) Delvac 1 SHC 5W-40 was also on the approved list, couldn't find that.

Our original engine manual only listed that latter SHC 5W-40... so it took a bit of research to find one of MAN's international reference docs and learn that both T6 and ESP is OK for our application. The Shell product they "approved" in that doc was actually Rimula R6, the name Shell uses outside the US market.

-Chris

A 30 yr old Cat spec'd for 30W can't use the new 5W-20W oils and vis versa. Newer engines are made to finer tolerances. So, check when your engine was manufactured. Not all same engines are the same. Since a lot of us have older engines, be sure to check that out.

I have almost 50 years of HD machinery repair behind me. 1000’s of engines all shapes and sizes. I have yet to see an engine fail by the ‘ wrong ‘ oil. If an oil meets spec , go for it. If you can’t find the recommended oil, don’t lose sleep.

Thirty-five years with heavy equipment here. Use the right spec and change it per recommendations. All the rest is marketing and noise.

Thirty-five years with heavy equipment here. Use the right spec and change it per recommendations. All the rest is marketing and noise.

I generally agree. Different oil may be able to go longer between changes, but for the most part, the goal is to use something of appropriate spec and viscosity for the engine's needs and change it before the oil is worn out.

Even the viscosity is not as important as most folks think it is. Look at the CAT specs for a piece of construction equipment. Recommended viscosity varies based on "ambient temperature" for both engine oil and hydraulic oil. I don't know of any contractors in my area that use different oils in the winter versus the summer, though the ambient temperature varies considerably.

I use 15W-40 in all of my engines, even the older pieces that originally ran straight 30 weight. I've never had an "oil-related failure", unless you count a hole in an oil pan or an oil filter that allowed all of the oil to escape. Some old school mechanics swear that straight 30W reduces oil consumption in an older engine, but I've not seen that myself. Nor do I believe in Lucas oil treatment, though it has the consistency of honey and intuition would suggest that it might reduce oil burning.

Even the viscosity is not as important as most folks think it is. Look at the CAT specs for a piece of construction equipment. Recommended viscosity varies based on "ambient temperature" for both engine oil and hydraulic oil. I don't know of any contractors in my area that use different oils in the winter versus the summer, though the ambient temperature varies considerably.

I use 15W-40 in all of my engines, even the older pieces that originally ran straight 30 weight. I've never had an "oil-related failure", unless you count a hole in an oil pan or an oil filter that allowed all of the oil to escape. Some old school mechanics swear that straight 30W reduces oil consumption in an older engine, but I've not seen that myself. Nor do I believe in Lucas oil treatment, though it has the consistency of honey and intuition would suggest that it might reduce oil burning.

Yup, most engines have a reasonably wide range of oil viscosity that is "suitable". Some are fussier, or have specific needs in heavy usage patterns, but most just need to be in the ballpark.

I’ve used RPM Delo straight 30 weight dino oil and never had a problem. And the manufacturer (Mitsubishi) supports 30w in the specific engine manual for the S4L2 engine.
Never had a slow cranking experience at start up and spent most of my time w the trawler in SE Alaska. Always used electric heaters in the engine compartment so my engine compartment was probably never below 35 degrees.
Most people here on TF end up in SE Alaska and this Chevron oil is available almost everywhere, maybe I didn’t need the “almost”.

Years ago, I had an electric pre-lube pump on my Ford Excursion with the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. 12V oil pump, small control unit, I think it drew oil from the pan (tee fitting on the drain plug) and returned it through a metal block that went between the oil filter mount and the filter itself. It'd run for 30 seconds after key went on, and then an adjustable time 0-5 minutes after key off.

I fiddled with Amsoil then migrated to Mobil Delvac 1. Had to take the truck in one time for an oil leak. Intercooler tubes were leaking, so the dealer replaced the leaky parts and did an oil change...with non-synthetic. Wow. I've never done another oil change so fast in my life - the difference in cold viscosity was stunning. With synthetic, I'd turn the key to on, and about 15-20 seconds later I'd see the oil pressure gauge jump up to operating range, then I'd start the engine. With the non-synthetic, the 30 second timer would expire and I'd have to rock the key to off and back to on; then after another 10-15 seconds I'd see oil pressure.

I'm sure the traditional engine-driven pump could beat the pre-lube pump in delivering oil to places, but aside from the "warm fuzzy" that my engine was properly oiled before starting, experiencing the difference with synthetic made me a believer.

I found in my Cummins that Rotella held better oil pressure over the service life of the oil. Just my 2 bits and I'm actually not a big fan of Shell but the Rotella does well in the Cummins. YMMV... Merry Christmas

For the generators I currently work on I put delvac 1300 in everything at my job. Cummins, cat, perkokittys, detroits, perkins, MTU, evn the older industrial fords, internationals, and whites all delovac 1300 15w40. Only the big natural gassers get a low ash Chevron 15w40. Smaller fords and gm motors just 10w30 or 5w30. Mind you all of these motors have no idle upon start. Its all bang zoom 1800 rpms in 3 seconds and already suppling a load off to the races.

You will be alright with that choice. Just keep up with a happy change interval.

The Cummins factory recommendation is Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40. In my opinion, there is no measurable difference among Rotella, Mobil, or Valvoline 15W-40 oils.

The Cummins factory recommendation is Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40. In my opinion, there is no measurable difference among Rotella, Mobil, or Valvoline 15W-40 oils.

That's because there is no difference between identically graded oils from the major oil producers, which is intentional. Process of refining crude oil into highly specific lubricant is actually pretty complex. Raw crude oil varies considerably - blending requires adjusting and augmenting for these variants; then providing additives to meet certain performance criteria. While there are quite a few oil refineries operating under several corporate flags (Castrol Lubricants is owned by BP, for example), there are only a couple producers of additives that get used across all lubricant refiners. Getting the proper blend of additives is an iterative process of testing and adding additives. Current AI (yes, Artificial Intelligence) has greatly accelerated and improved oil additive process taking what took days/weeks just 10-years ago to nearly real-time now. Motor oil from the 1970's bears little resemblance to current oil.

Peter

The Cummins factory recommendation is Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40.

Quick check looks like that's full synthetic.

I think that'd suggest to me that OP's Mobil Delvac blend might not be so great for those engines, even if it meets the same API classifications.

???

I'm influenced by our own engine maker's recommendations, which is a list of specific oils that are "approved." (All are full synth, but not all full synth correct API lubes are "approved.")

API specs are included, but as if a fallback -- in case nothing "approved" is available.

-Chris

Quick check looks like that's full synthetic.

-Chris

The last time I purchased ( 1 yrs ago) the Valvoline Premium Blue 15/40 it is NOT a synthetic oil.

I have used it since I bought my boat 35 yrs ago with of course the ongoing grade changes , CC to now CK. I am not going outside to look as it is below freezing.

I looked it up also and the specs shown now also confirm it is NOT synthetic.

Valvoline does offer a synthetic but it is labelled as such. but that is not this one. The label says Synthetic.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/138b6c51-a070-ea11-9c34-ac162d889bd1

https://www.amazon.ca/Valvoline-15W-40-Premium-Diesel-Engine/dp/B000GAP43W?th=1

Last edited:
I’m not impressed that a big time manufacturer would specify one specific brand of engine lube oil.

That would be like a car manufacturer recommending Bridgestone tires. Anybody could imagine a whole bunch of problems when thousands of customers, lawyers and others get together on a problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom