Its always something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyD

Guru
Vessel Name
Aquarius
Vessel Make
Californian 55 CPMY
Took some friends to Catalina Island recently. Along the way someone left the water running and half my water was gone by the time we got there. Ok, no problem, we have a water maker. Ran it for 15 minutes and it tripped the breaker. I figured it had gone over pressure. Ran it again with reduced pressure. It tripped even sooner. Ok, water restrictions. I needed to get my inflatable off the top deck but the davit would not go into down mode. Nothing I could do to make it go down. Ok slide it off the top so I can take the dog to the beach. Then my big RIB gets stuck in forward. No neutral or reverse. I needed several trips to the dinghy dock in Avalon to unload passengers. Had to catch the dock as I cruised by. Same with my return to the boat.

Ok, I get home and I'm BBQing steaks and the propane tank emptied. Opened a storage area for a replacement and saw a bottle of oil marked Sea Recovery. Huh, I didn't know my watermaker needed oil. After a nice steak dinner, I took the cover off of the watermaker and sure enough there was a fill port. I added some fluid and bingo, the watermaker ran like a champ until I hit the off button. The next day, I decided to make sure it was ok and I hit the start button and it would run as long as held the start button but then shut off as soon as I let it go. What the heck. Ok when I first bought the boat the PO had not fully engaged the shore power and I was only getting one 110v leg of my 220v required. That took a couple hours to figure out. This time, no problem with the power. After scratching my head for a long time, I checked the stop button and indeed, some corrosion prevented its return to normal so it was always in the stop position. Cleaned it up and got it working properly, all good. Ok, replace the Davit solenoids with a new reversible one and that's all good. Got new control cables for the dinghy installed now it works. Whew, what next. Oh, yah. I locked myself into the boat last night after hearing 5 gun shots last night. Woke up this morning and I couldn't unlock it. WTH??? Finally got it unstuck. Maybe a bunch of bad luck but not as bad as the poor guy who was murdered nearby. Yep, some poor guy gunned down on the Long Beach jetty.

Keep a positive mindset, when you will get over all these kind of issues you will get so much knowledge about your boat that next time it will be a 5 min fix. And on the way you will learn how to keep everything running smooth and will have less and less issue.

L

I’d rather not admit that the big, black boat cloud has followed me on many occasions. All I know to do is to keep fixing. The one that gets me the most is when something else goes wrong with whatever I’m working on while I’m working on it.:banghead:

Yep. Why do you think your experience is special?;):D

I guess you didn't get the memo: Buy a boat and have fun !

Does anyone remember the plate spinner guy from the Ed Sullivan Show? Sometimes boat ownership is like that. :D

Does anyone remember the plate spinner guy from the Ed Sullivan Show? Sometimes boat ownership is like that. :D

LOLROF!! Yeah, that says it all! Good one, Archie!

I so appreciate threads like this. Make me feel so much better. I was going to be so disciplined with knocking out my to-do list this season. I've been working like a dog but I'm going to end the season with a longer list than when I started. I'm losing ground.

Keep a positive mindset, when you will get over all these kind of issues you will get so much knowledge about your boat that next time it will be a 5 min fix. And on the way you will learn how to keep everything running smooth and will have less and less issue.

L

Oh I do have a good mindset as I just love this boat. I posted this for fun because I knew everyone on this site could relate. I track my repair expenses since I bought the boat in July 2018 and the good news is, averaged monthly, expenses have been going down each year. Will it ever get to $0, heck no.

I have to say I'm pumped about the remote control of the top deck davit. Currently I would get on the top deck, drop the hook down to the water and have my wife struggle with hooking the bridle while we bounce in the waves. Now, I can get in the boat with the waterproof remote and drop the hook down to me, get it attached and then get off on the swim platform.

Everything on your/our boats is in process of getting ready to break. Pretty much the same as everything in existence - including each one of us!

Does that stop us from having pure fun whenever possible - heck NO!

Pleasure Boating - the operative term!!

Thanks for making us all feel better, RickyD!! We all can relate, sympathize and, this time, say "I'm sure glad I'm not that poor SOB!!" :D :flowers:

I can totally relate.

I thought I had the boat in really good shape before we took a week long Bahamas trip in late May. All was great until the last three days of the trip. Here is a list of what failed in those last three days:

1. Watermaker tripped the breaker. Turned out that the HP pump needed to be rebuilt.
2. The hydraulic steering cylinder, which I rebuilt a few weeks before the trip and did not leak at all on three day trips, started leaking again. Sent it off to the pros for a rebuild.
3. Dinghy davit arm broke. Required an emergency get home repair, then replaced the arm once we got home.
4. Generator would not start. Failed relay board for the controller.
5. Fresh water pump abruptly stopped working. I had a spare on board, swapped them out and chucked the old one.

6. Stop solenoid on stb motor quit working. Shut the engine off manually until I got home. It was a broken connection.
7. At some point during the trip, probably during the miserable crossing home, the top of the swing open round exterior strainer for the genset pick up fell off. Bought a new one and installed.
8. Oil pressure gauge on port engine was bouncing on and off. Cleaned up the connection, working OK now.

We just got back this week from another Bahamas trip, three weeks this time. Know what broke? Nothing at all. I didn't even break a pole spear band.

I guess it's just boats.

it could be worse...

I also was at Catalina last weekend(whites landing)

The forward bilge pump quit working and triggered the high water alarm which is a very loud marine horn i installed.

My girl friend was in the V berth asleep. walk up in a scare and hit her head on the ceiling.

A big headache for the rest of the stay and you know what that means :smitten:

When we launched and opened the boat this spring the aft bilge pump switch and indicator light was dead. The red light on the switch, dead. The green power indicator light on the panel, dead. How does that happen? Opened the floor hatch -- wiring seems okay on the bilge pump. I have a 12-volt drill so I ran alligator clip wiring from the drill battery to the bilge pump, ran fine. Not the pump. Wiring shorted out somewhere in the bowels of the boat between the electrical panel switch and the pump? Maybe it's a bad switch, the tiny little bulb burned out on the switch stalk? No, that wouldn't make sense, the green power indicator light is out too. And if it's just the tiny switch bulb, then the pump would still run even if the switch is dark. Pump float switch shorted out maybe? No, wiring looks okay, switch looks okay, but I tested that too with alligator clip contraption, Worked fine, not a short or problem with the float switch. Hmmm -- little push button circuit breaker? -- pressed the button, nothing -- but those push-button reset buttons don't seem to have any mechanical action, I can't tell if it reset anything or not. Still dead. How about if I swap a breaker from the midship or forward bilge pump switches, to the aft pump? Remove the electrical panel cover, swap breakers. Sure enough, the aft breaker was dead. Simply failed. Ordered two new ones online (replacement and spare). That stinking failed breaker about the size of a book of matches burned about three hours of my life by the time I tested the pump, traced wiring, searched on the 'net for solutions, tested the bilge pump float switch and swapped he breakers to test. I didn't even even know those little breakers could simply die. Boats -- they'll drive you insane.

Attachments

• 10 amp circuit breaker.jpg
    10 amp circuit breaker.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 341
The novelist John D. MacDonald's main character, Travis McGee, lived aboard a fictional houseboat at Bahia Mar Marina in Ft. Lauderdale. Typically MacDonald introduced McGee by describing him at work on his boat, the Busted Flush, dealing with some maintenance or repair chore. I appreciated the way MacDonald portrayed boat living a bit more realistically than many novelists.

Of course, the maintenance chore never took long, as McGee was prone to drop everything in favor of helping some beautiful babe out with her problems. Come to think of it, that's true to life.

The novelist John D. MacDonald's main character, Travis McGee, lived aboard a fictional houseboat at Bahia Mar Marina in Ft. Lauderdale. Typically MacDonald introduced McGee by describing him at work on his boat, the Busted Flush, dealing with some maintenance or repair chore. I appreciated the way MacDonald portrayed boat living a bit more realistically than many novelists.

Of course, the maintenance chore never took long, as McGee was prone to drop everything in favor of helping some beautiful babe out with her problems. Come to think of it, that's true to life.

Except that it's usually one's wife in true life, which would make for more boring reading.

Dang I thought I was only one this happened to. ???

Looking for advice? Leave California for somewhere you will never hear gunshots and get a boat with simpler systems.

"free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it"

Awesome stories

Can’t wait to get my boat. At least I won’t be digging into the Arizona desert trying to get the irrigation leak fixed.

Took some friends to Catalina Island recently. Along the way someone left the water running and half my water was gone by the time we got there. Ok, no problem, we have a water maker. Ran it for 15 minutes and it tripped the breaker. I figured it had gone over pressure. Ran it again with reduced pressure. It tripped even sooner. Ok, water restrictions. I needed to get my inflatable off the top deck but the davit would not go into down mode. Nothing I could do to make it go down. Ok slide it off the top so I can take the dog to the beach. Then my big RIB gets stuck in forward. No neutral or reverse. I needed several trips to the dinghy dock in Avalon to unload passengers. Had to catch the dock as I cruised by. Same with my return to the boat.

Ok, I get home and I'm BBQing steaks and the propane tank emptied. Opened a storage area for a replacement and saw a bottle of oil marked Sea Recovery. Huh, I didn't know my watermaker needed oil. After a nice steak dinner, I took the cover off of the watermaker and sure enough there was a fill port. I added some fluid and bingo, the watermaker ran like a champ until I hit the off button. The next day, I decided to make sure it was ok and I hit the start button and it would run as long as held the start button but then shut off as soon as I let it go. What the heck. Ok when I first bought the boat the PO had not fully engaged the shore power and I was only getting one 110v leg of my 220v required. That took a couple hours to figure out. This time, no problem with the power. After scratching my head for a long time, I checked the stop button and indeed, some corrosion prevented its return to normal so it was always in the stop position. Cleaned it up and got it working properly, all good. Ok, replace the Davit solenoids with a new reversible one and that's all good. Got new control cables for the dinghy installed now it works. Whew, what next. Oh, yah. I locked myself into the boat last night after hearing 5 gun shots last night. Woke up this morning and I couldn't unlock it. WTH??? Finally got it unstuck. Maybe a bunch of bad luck but not as bad as the poor guy who was murdered nearby. Yep, some poor guy gunned down on the Long Beach jetty.

Ok, how about an addition to this thread. I'm getting ready for a vacation to Lake Tahoe with my ski boat. She is a 1992 in and out bow rider I bought in 1999. Mostly just use her at the lake for 2 weeks out of the year. So, after all the problems regaled above I'm lying in bed thinking: When was the last time I replaced the water pump impeller. Of course I plan to do it every winter but then, I don't. It might be 15 years or more. AAhhhh. I haven't even checked the bottom end oil since my mechanic retired. I call my friendly boat repair shop. He says maybe Sept 18th. That's to late. Ok UTube. Sure enough step by step instructions. Did both yesterday. Hard to believe that the impeller had not blown up by now. Let's see. Battery holds a charge. Oil good, water pump should work. Now my only worry is the condition of the fuel that is a year old. I did put stabilizer in. I'm hopeful.

thanks for the thread everybody.
I had to sell my boat due to my health - I almost miss the maintenance, only because it always felt so good to handle every problem, sometimes without proper parts or tool being onboard.

Richard
ex- 7 different boats. all were awesome.

There is an Axiom I love: Cruising is really just fixing your boat in exotic places.

Boat trouble

Exactly why I switched to KAYAKS!

Some days are like that!

We are now back at home from 6 weeks boating, mostly in Desolation Sound where the water was very warm, the sun shone the whole time, prawns were caught, good times were had.......
Found my first day home full of replacing the sump pump on the septic tank, second day replacing the wax seal on the upstairs toilet, third day trying (unsuccessfully) to get the top to work properly on the convertible, fourth day Otter proofing the boat so it could go on the mooring bouy out front, fifth day re-otter proofing, as yesterday's efforts didn't work out so well........
relaxing now with a new brand of IPA, while I wait for the great dinner to follow, as today is my birthday.
Life is grand!

Boat ownership is a never ending game of 'whack a mole'. As soon as you 'whack' one problem, guess what? Another one pops up. Have fun and keep whacking!!

Some days are like that!

We are now back at home from 6 weeks boating, mostly in Desolation Sound where the water was very warm, the sun shone the whole time, prawns were caught, good times were had.......
Found my first day home full of replacing the sump pump on the septic tank, second day replacing the wax seal on the upstairs toilet, third day trying (unsuccessfully) to get the top to work properly on the convertible, fourth day Otter proofing the boat so it could go on the mooring bouy out front, fifth day re-otter proofing, as yesterday's efforts didn't work out so well........
relaxing now with a new brand of IPA, while I wait for the great dinner to follow, as today is my birthday.
Life is grand!
Happy birthday, Keith! Sounds like you've earned it.:)

Back
Top Bottom