Are Yeti coolers worth the cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tranquil Point, about 6 nm SW of Craig. Our 10-year old mooched it up with a herring he caught on a Sabiki. Brought it in all by himself. He weighed 55lb, the fish was 50+. We didn't weigh it whole, but minus guts and head was 38.75. Would have come in second in the 2014 tournament.

I have a Yeti. An Igloo is better. So is an insulated Coleman.

Don't waste your money on a Yeti. I did. Learn from my mistake.

I give high marks to Yeti for bringing forth a much better cooler than what was being produced at the time. But I admired them from afar and bought an Orca, which was slightly less expensive, but basically the same. There may be differences, but at this level of quality, I don’t get wrapped up in caring. I buy most of my food from farm stores and the cooler stays in my truck and gets used most weekends. It keeps meats and cheese cool reliably. If you cool them down before a trip, they stay cold and consume little ice.

The Yeti style coolers really are superior to the coolers of old, on every measure except weight and internal volume for their size.

"Lifetime" - 65 Quart High Performance Hard Cooler

https://www.amazon.com/LIFETIME-910...86VMYSX9/dp/B086VMYSX9/ref=dp_ob_image_sports

Well constructed, looks good; rugged. Tight latches - firm rubber gasket seal. Great handles for transport/moving around. Ice lasts 5 to 6 days with food and drink inside. Open it once or twice a day. Good drain plug.

We keep ours shaded in saloon, towel on top. It sets in obscure wall location by the galley; same exterior foot print x 14" tall clear plastic container filled with dry food sets atop... with another towel on top of that... and sundry items on to top of all that! I.e., food storage that is close to refrigerator.

"worth it" is a very subjective thing, for both financial and practical reasons. Some people think gold toilets are "worth it". If you only need a cooler for day use I don't think you need a Yeti. If you are going to be storing a few hundred dollars of fish for days on a regular basis, it might be. If you have an icemaker, you can use a cheaper cooler and just restock the ice.

Like I stated in post #22 I agree with Art. Lifetime coolers are a great option for very good performance at a less expensive price. My wife made an insulated (lift off) cover for the cooler to help keep the sun off it as we left it in the cockpit and used it as a table for snacks, coffee, drinks ,etc. Using block ice, there was still ice in the cooler after 4-5 days and everything was cold.
No affiliation, just like the product.

Like I stated in post #22 I agree with Art. Lifetime coolers are a great option for very good performance at a less expensive price. My wife made an insulated (lift off) cover for the cooler to help keep the sun off it as we left it in the cockpit and used it as a table for snacks, coffee, drinks ,etc. Using block ice, there was still ice in the cooler after 4-5 days and everything was cold.
No affiliation, just like the product.

Tom - Missed your "Lifetime" cooler mention in #22. They are good coolers. I watched a lot of test-video and on sales floors personally handled plenty of coolers before settling on Lifetime.

Will mention though... re "Yeti": Never owned/used their cooler, but, their insulated [16oz +] tall tumbler with cap and straw [see photo] is best I've ever used. Daughter gifted Linda and I with two a few years ago. They hold heat or cold like we've never before experienced. Look as good now as when new... we drink out of them every day/evening; no sign of wear.

Attachments

• Yeti Tumbler.jpg
    Yeti Tumbler.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 32
My father in law frequently blasts Yeti coolers as an overhyped waste of money. I ended up with two coolers (Yeti and Pelican) so to wind him up, I did a side by side comparison. Here are the results if you care (to say I was bored at the time would be an understatement):

OK Charles, I know you've been concerned about Yeti's value proposition, so I conducted a controlled experiment with Yeti vs a similarly sized Pelican cooler. The Pelican is 30 quart and the Yeti is 35. The Yeti is materially thicker walled so the exterior dimensions look much greater than interior dimensions. (Photo 1)
I first put them side by side and open for 24 hours to bring the interior to the same ambient temp. (Photo 2)
I then place an identical blue ice in each one to pre-cool it. (Photo 3)
12 hours later I moved the coolers outside, out of the sun (to control for solar absorption due to color differences). I placed an identical can of beer in each cooler with a fresh blue ice and sealed them. I didnt have a laser measuring device to position the blue ice in the exact same relative position. So I used Heather to eyeball it since that is 12% more accurate than a laser. (Photo 4 and 5)
12 hours later I shot the cans with a laser thermometer in the exact same spot (opposite side of can from the blue ice in the middle of the "O" in "Wolf Pup"). The Yeti beer was 45.6* and the Pelican beer was 46*. (Photo 6)
7 hours later Yeti beer was 50.3* and Pelican beer was 53.1*.
5 hours later the Yeti was 58.6* and Pelican was 64.4* and 12 hours after that Yeti 64.4* and Pelican 67.4*.
I didnt adjust for the increased volume of the Yeti, but that would show the Yeti even better insulated because it still out performed even with a larger interior volume to keep cool.
Yeti is around 30% greater cost and provides 5 to 10% greater cooliosity. Probably closer to 10% because the early stages are more telling of insulation when there is greatest difference between internal and external temp.
This experiment received no outside funding...

Attachments

• Ice chest 1.jpg
    Ice chest 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Ice chest 2.jpg
    Ice chest 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Ice chest 3.jpg
    Ice chest 3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 32
  • Ice chest 4.jpg
    Ice chest 4.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Ice chest 5.jpg
    Ice chest 5.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Ice chest 6.jpg
    Ice chest 6.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 27
I would look around a bit. The yeti's are good, but others are almost as good for less.
We have a Pelican, got it on sale for about 1/2 of a yeti in the same size. If you pre-chill it. It will hold ice for 2 weeks in the PNW (ya it never really gets that hot here).
There are all kinds of do's and don't with coolers and how you prep for a trip, and use your cooler.
We used the 70QT Elite Cooler all of last year on the other boat.
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/coolers/elite/70qt

Last edited:
I watched this and went with the pelican elite (which outperformed the yeti)
. But its too heavy for regular use. I'd prefer a lighter one i can add more ice to as needed rather than keep hauling the pelican around.

My father in law frequently blasts Yeti coolers as an overhyped waste of money. I ended up with two coolers (Yeti and Pelican) so to wind him up, I did a side by side comparison. Here are the results if you care (to say I was bored at the time would be an understatement):

OK Charles, I know you've been concerned about Yeti's value proposition, so I conducted a controlled experiment with Yeti vs a similarly sized Pelican cooler. The Pelican is 30 quart and the Yeti is 35. The Yeti is materially thicker walled so the exterior dimensions look much greater than interior dimensions. (Photo 1)
I first put them side by side and open for 24 hours to bring the interior to the same ambient temp. (Photo 2)
I then place an identical blue ice in each one to pre-cool it. (Photo 3)
12 hours later I moved the coolers outside, out of the sun (to control for solar absorption due to color differences). I placed an identical can of beer in each cooler with a fresh blue ice and sealed them. I didnt have a laser measuring device to position the blue ice in the exact same relative position. So I used Heather to eyeball it since that is 12% more accurate than a laser. (Photo 4 and 5)
12 hours later I shot the cans with a laser thermometer in the exact same spot (opposite side of can from the blue ice in the middle of the "O" in "Wolf Pup"). The Yeti beer was 45.6* and the Pelican beer was 46*. (Photo 6)
7 hours later Yeti beer was 50.3* and Pelican beer was 53.1*.
5 hours later the Yeti was 58.6* and Pelican was 64.4* and 12 hours after that Yeti 64.4* and Pelican 67.4*.
I didnt adjust for the increased volume of the Yeti, but that would show the Yeti even better insulated because it still out performed even with a larger interior volume to keep cool.
Yeti is around 30% greater cost and provides 5 to 10% greater cooliosity. Probably closer to 10% because the early stages are more telling of insulation when there is greatest difference between internal and external temp.
This experiment received no outside funding...

Your photo shows you using an infra red temp gun improperly.

My reading says as the high performance coolers increase in size, so does the insulation and days duration of ice. Draw your own conclusions.

My reading says as the high performance coolers increase in size, so does the insulation and days duration of ice. Draw your own conclusions.

Think of it this silly way... Big Thick head allows less learning to get in and less common sense out. :banghead: Big Thick cooler allows less heat in and less cold out. :dance:

It's pretty simple... Big and Thick slows the transmission of knowledge as well as change of temperature! :thumb:

Your photo shows you using an infra red temp gun improperly.

How so, and more importantly, does this mean the results of my highly scientific tests failed "peer review"? Dang!

Every soccer mom worth her salt in my part of the world has a Yeti cooler in the back of her SUV, 24-7. Including my wife. Gotta keep those juice boxes cold!

Thermometer guns must be used at the proper distance – not too close or too far away – to get an accurate reading.

Yes, that's why mine has 2 lasers that intersect at a fixed distance - when you see one dot you are at a specified and consistent distance.

I thought he was going to say I was touching the can and my arm and hand heat would skew the results. Which was my father in law's response - so I told him the experimental parameters included determining how cold the can would be perceived by someone actually drinking the beer, which meant I had to be holding the can (I love winding up engineers).

The true test for me was a 7 day rafting trip down the Deschutes river with friends and started out with ice and ended with ice. Yeti all the way.

Yeti Cooler? Let's see. I purchased one about a year ago. They are heavy. The interior volume is compromised by the thickness of the wall design. I do understand insulation but what most disappoints me, other than the outrageous price, is I do not see a noticeable improvement in cooling ability. I give the Yeti low marks all around. They are pretty though, for what that is worth.
Steve

My biggest problem with a Yeti as compared to an Igloo is not only weight but I’m afraid to leave the Yeti out on my Fishing boat in the marina or out in the back of my pickup truck. As heavy as they are, they can amazingly grow legs when your not looking. My Igloos don’t do that.

One vote for Yeti. I have gone thru so many cheap large coolers - mostly Igloos and Colemans on my boats thru the years, I can't count. Buying replacement parts, fixing leaks and cracks. I got my first Yeti - I think its a 75 for my Glacier Bay in 2013. It is awesome. When I really need to keep things cold for an extended period, the Yeti is great. One block of ice lasted over a week on a trip to the Keys. Yes, it is heavy - it is built like a tank - it is worth every pound. We bought a smaller version for a long road trip last year and then used it to store ice aboard our downeaster up in Maine last summer. They are really amazing coolers. If we are only going out for the day, we take a light, soft-sided, inexpensive cooler. I haven't researched the other brands mentioned above, at least not Yeti!

Our yacht club had several large premium Coleman coolers. As a club, we would have different people responsible for different cruises we went on, which is a roundabout way of saying no one cared for the coolers as if they were their own personal property. After close to two years of use, there wasn't a cooler that didn't have at least one broken hinge or latch.

Since our cooling needs are typically limited to a long weekend, the Coleman coolers functioned for our Club's needs. However, the build quality is such that I won't be buying one for personal use/abuse.

Nowadays Yeti appeals to those Tim Taylor types that are brand name smitten and have to own the biggest, fanciest widget around. Yes - originally they were a notch above everything else out there... at a HUGE markup - that helped push it’s perceived brand name cachet with the elitist... and occasionally those that truly were desperate for a super cooler. But face it folks, it isn’t rocket science to design a heavy duty, thick-walled gasket sealed ice chest. Kudos to Yeti for taking it to market. However, there are many out there now that are pretty damn good, and make it almost silly to spend 2 or 3 times as much for the Yeti nameplate.

I realize there are a few out there that truly are off-grid for 6 or 7 days and need to keep something iced. I get that, and Yeti thanks you. The majority of the rest of us can easily get by for 3 or 4 hot days with a comparable cooler and still have a cold chest with ice within. For so many of those soccer moms and other brand name aficionados, that are not even 24 hours away from fresh ice, well... :rofl:

:hide:

This guy is the KNOW ALL / TELL ALL on coolers. He sells them all, so doesn’t care which one is best. He tests ALL of them side by side in 100 degree hot sun weather in FL. Here is the Roto molded test comparison (hint, Yeti does not win!). EXCELLENT test/comparison, I strongly suggest you watch this (I bought and love the Otterbox based on this test):
https://youtu.be/_0YmWvLvcRA

If you want to see how the regular cheaper($100 and under) coolers do:
https://youtu.be/bjjX7t75zJ4

Last edited:
I seldom use coolers and by no means am I an expert. However, we do sell coolers, primarily Yeti and Igloo. I judge by the customer and the market and based on that Yeti has the strongest, most loyal, following there is. This is absolutely not people just jumping on a popularity bandwagon, but people with knowledge and experience who have had friends use them or have used them themselves. I grew up with throw away styrofoam coolers for the day and the prices alarm me but the quality is definitely there. No one complains and people don't return them.

We have used them a couple of times on our trips to NC and been very pleased.

If one's need and use doesn't require a YETI, then many other brands, including Igloo which can do the job. However, do not demean the YETI buyer. They know what they're doing. I believe the market.

Brand loyalty is not scientific proof of capability or worth.

If one's need and use doesn't require a YETI, then many other brands, including Igloo which can do the job. However, do not demean the YETI buyer. They know what they're doing. I believe the market.

I have no doubt there are some buyers that need the ultimate performance, and feel that Yeti is the best product. I would agree they are likewise a high quality product - and one would not expect many (any) returns. However, I personally have multiple friends that have Yeti products (they are popular in California), and while I love these guys... they fit my description in previous post to a “T”!! :D So, I hope the serious buyer doesn’t feel demeaned. But frankly, I respectfully think there are a boatload of buyers who are name brand conscious and don’t bother to research the comparable cost effective options. Just my opinion from my seat in the bleachers. :flowers:

Last edited:
Check out the RTIC line of coolers. Much lighter for same size and less expensive!

I can get 30% off of Yeti but chose RTIC because they are more than comparable, almost identical and 40 - 50% cheaper. They are heavy. A 45 sized hard cooler weighs 23 pounds. They hold ice a really long time. I use their mugs and cups. Not unusual to have ice in your drink during the day, pick it up the next day and the ice is still there. I also have their soft cooler for day to day transport of food and drink from home to the boat and back. Yes being in California, still need to keep food in a cooler in the winter time. I'm currently drinking cold water out of my 20oz tumbler.

I still use a classic light weight cooler for short term use but hunting, camping, boating you want the RTIC or Yeti.

Back
Top Bottom