WiFi Antennas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haetwen

Vessel Name
Nabi
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 41
Has anyone had experience with deck-mounted WiFi antennas?
I am looking at the Wave Rogue Pro antenna which incorporates an ethernet converter/bridge.
The antenna is mounted on deck like any other antenna. It connects to a below deck router with an ethernet cable.
I normally receive good WiFi reception, except in marinas. I use WiFi with my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air on the boat.
Is it worth the effort to install an exterior antenna to boost WiFi reception and transmission?

Yes but make sure it is a dual antenna...I think 5.0 ghz and 2.4 ghz .....as some marinas have both and the 5.0 ghz signal is far superior.

Island Time boat wifi has a better explanation I think.

Most of the marinas have such crappy WIFI that we have stopped trying to use it and instead just use our phone hot spot. Although maybe if we had a really good WIFI antenna maybe we could use the marinas... I looked at antennas and routers and everyone has conflicting advice as to what is best so I gave up.

I have the Island Time setup and it works well. That said, in my experience, many marinas have really poor wifi.

Ken

Even if you could connect to marina WiFi why would you want to? It’s soooo slooow........

Not the 5ghz at my current marina...streaming no sweat.

Some marinas good to great...yes most are woefully bad.

I have had an external antenna for 7 years...last 3 hardly used but this year after getting the 5ghz reception...thinking of upgrading my antenna so I dont have to hold my tablet up to the windows to connect...but once connected...super wifi.

Last edited:
I have just installed my 2nd Groove antenna & Microtik router from Bob Stewart at Island time PC. It won’t help with poor bandwidth at many marinas for streaming but does pull in the signal well from poor locations where you can’t get a good signal. Most often you will need to keep turning down the antenna power to get a good signal -counterintuitive, but it helps
Marinas with onspot WiFi don’t need ian external antenna to stream, but if, like me, you use it for onspot, you will need the work around which Bob will send you. Very convenient only logging in the antenna, then all other devices on the boat are on line

I use a Ubiquiti M2 Bullet (which is the hardware underlying many of the wifi available systems), and am very pleased as it makes the wireless part NOT the weakest link in the chain (finding an access point with good bandwidth, but not necessarily strong signal is). Most of the time, I use an omni antenna, but when signals are weak, I switch to a very directional but much more powerful Yagi antenna. With it, I typically get a good signal strength (-65 to -70db) from transmitters a mile away. Contrary to a rumor that was flying around about 6 months ago, the Bullets continue to be readily available.

I am looking at the Wave Rogue Pro antenna which incorporates an ethernet converter/bridge.

Is it worth the effort to install an exterior antenna to boost WiFi reception and transmission?

I have the Wave Rogue (didn't need the stainless because it is inside Flybridge). Not that impressed with it. :banghead: When powering up, It takes a few tries before router recognizes it and then you're still reliant on good WiFi for a decent connection. As others have stated, WiFi is never that great. I would put the money towards a good cellular plan.

Todd

Back
Top Bottom