What boat would upgrade to - in 40-50 foot range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before Covid, which has driven up the prices for decent trawlers, I know of two very separate purchases of older GB 42s in Vancouver. Both are older than the age you suggest, both cost more than you have in your budget. Start looking, but don't expect to get exactly what you presently desire for that price, or if you do, don't expect to be able to go to Alaska without spending considerably more than your present budget, in total.

This one's older for sure, but she's in really good shape (shed kept) and the lower cost leaves you a lot of play money...

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/boa/d/north-vancouver-42-grand-banks-1975/7235729484.html

I would say a KK-42.

Kadey-Krogen 42 is what I would recommend.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike

He wants twins. That pretty much excludes all KK42’s except for a couple. Also his price is too low. A KK42 at $200 Cdn is virtually unattainable in the current market unless it has issues. There is only one available in the PNW (1992) and they are asking $269,000 USD.

Jim

One thing to be aware of, if you're purchasing a boat 25+ years I would be prepared to budget at least $50-$100k in repairs (exhaust system, risers, teak decks, leaks, mold removal, batteries, bottom paint, props, electronics, brightwork if you have it, switching to LED lighting) whatever you budget, include more.

Check into the Canoe Cove boats for sale. There are a few available on the west coast and often come with low engine hours and well kept, although maybe older than what you were thinking. They were well-built in Canada and are spacious inside for their length.

I am completely biased because I own this one, and have it for sale, but this would be my choice in that price and size range. It is ready to take off for Alaska tomorrow. Feel free to PM me, or call the broker if you want more info.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/ted-brewer-custom-41-trawler-3727654/

I also like the suggestions of the Deferver boats farther up thread, but am doubtful you will be able to find a nice one in the price range you mentioned.

Last edited:
In normal times, a good plan would be to go to the Vancouver and Seattle in-the-water boat shows, walk the docks and see some boats in person. Neither will likely happen any time soon and the border being closed doesn't help.

What’s going on with YachtWorld? I look at a boat and then the filters disappear. I thought it was just me. It’s such a pain I’ve stopped using YW.

It happens occasionally to me. But not often. And yes, it is extremely frustrating especially when you have pretty specific search filters in there.

What’s going on with YachtWorld? I look at a boat and then the filters disappear. I thought it was just me. It’s such a pain I’ve stopped using YW.

Try using the UK version of Yacht World. It seems to work way better, (The way it used to work on the US version). You can change the currency and length measurements in the advance search section.

I am just throwing this in here for your consideration. For you desire to travel from Seattle North to Alaska a Nordic tug 34 (32 is same as 34) would really be all you need. And everything about it would be easier, easier to get into marinas, easier to manage, easier on the fuel, cheaper on repairs, etc.

A buddy just bought a 1990 32 Nordic Tug in Comox. I went on it and it is well equipped and will handle all the waters you are contemplating. He paid under $150,000. The one I am listing is at Thunderbird Marine and is the same year, it is $108,000. Link below.

In an article in Pacific Yachting not to long ago what kind of boat and what size etc was discussed for cruising our waters and to Alaska. The author recommended you consider your needs, what you wanted, establish the length that would meet these needs, then cut 10 feet off the number.

Slowboat, a small business out of Washington runs flotillas up to Alaska, boaters who are willing to pay to learn the ropes (not cheap). There are three in the business, husband and wife and partner. The husband and wife own a Nordic Tug 37, they owned a smaller boat prior and it was able to handle the round trips from Seattle to Alaska and back.

If you go to the Slowboat web site there are a number of videos helping you prep for an Alaskan cruise. The one I frequently post here is the Introduction to the Inside Passage, highly recommend you watch it. In it, what kind of boat is suitable for an extended Alaskan cruise is discussed:

(Jump to the beginning, for some reason when I download the link it starts minutes into the video):

And as I say, this is all you really need, happiness can be found on this boat, assuming all systems are go: https://thunderbirdmarine.com/yacht-sales/senour-trawler/

Yes, I have heard there is a shortage of boats to buy, both new and used.
Today, I went to the local bike shop to buy bikes to give to the Salvation Army so they can give them to kids who normally would not get a bike for Christmas.
In the past I would get a significant discount because I would buy more than 10 bikes. Not this year. Seems due to C19 there is a world wide shortage of bikes.
So instead of 15+ bikes, I could only buy 10. BUT, I did get a 25% discount on the 10 bike bells. SMILE
The bikes I buy are the size for a first time small child.

Yes, I commend you for your Christmas spirit, very nice indeed. The most I can muster here is giving out handles of Guaro and a 3 liter of Fresca to the neighborhood bums, I do wear my Santa hat when I do it however! They all look forward to my Christmas boozathon and it keeps em off my back for the rest of the year =)

Hi, new to the forum & looking for a little advice.

We live in Vancouver BC and are looking to upgrade our 2001 Regal 2960 to a 40 - 50 foot cruiser. If you had your choice of boats in this range with a budget of up to $200,000 Canadian ($140,000 USD) what would your number 1 choice be. We would like it to be 1985 or newer, 40 - 50 foot, twin engine diesel, 2 staterooms with shower stalls, wide open kitchen (lots of natural light), capable of cruising from Vancouver to Alaska (summer cruising).
What do you have and why do you love it, or if you were trade up, what would your number 1 choice be?

I feel in the coming year we'll see some dramatic changes in the economy and this glut of boat buying and the sellers market it has created will turn into a buyers market pretty quickly.

I feel in the coming year we'll see some dramatic changes in the economy and this glut of boat buying and the sellers market it has created will turn into a buyers market pretty quickly.

I'm looking to buy in a year maybe two years and am hoping it becomes a buyers market then.

Unless one finds a boat such as our 1983 DeFever 44 on which all the work you mention and much more has already been done over the past four years. There are plenty more out there. Do not be discouraged by over-generalizations such as this comment. Even when purchased we did not have mold, soft teak decks, props were fine.

Exhaust system? Risers? Gas boats only, usually.

One thing to be aware of, if you're purchasing a boat 25+ years I would be prepared to budget at least $50-$100k in repairs (exhaust system, risers, teak decks, leaks, mold removal, batteries, bottom paint, props, electronics, brightwork if you have it, switching to LED lighting) whatever you budget, include more.

Yes it will improve over the slump it’s been in for over a year by then, plus people will be able to travel and start recreating the way they had for many years prior instead of buying boats they had no business having, and they’ll sell.

The description and pictures don't match. The boat pictured is no bigger than a 37'. My C&L 44 is the same dimensions as a MT44. My boat is 7' longer than the one pictured. Also 2' wider. A friend with a C&L 37 has similar sizes to this one.
Though it would be neat to have pictures of a genuine celebrity aboard, that is no reason to buy a boat that is too small and doesn't meet the PO's criteria.

Unless one finds a boat such as our 1983 DeFever 44 on which all the work you mention and much more has already been done over the past four years. There are plenty more out there. Do not be discouraged by over-generalizations such as this comment. Even when purchased we did not have mold, soft teak decks, props were fine.

Agree with CJack here. Lesson here is twofold. First, on these older boats in the OP's price range, you have to kiss a lot of frogs. Second, being willing to pay a few extra bucks for a well-cared for example will reap benefits in time and money.

Don't know if it's because online ads are deceptive or if the owner is myopic but in the end all that matters is the YW hottie you swipe-right on will all too often be worn, tired and smelly when you climb aboard. Biggest help for you will be patience and a realistic grasp of what options/attributes are (i) deal-killers; (ii) malleable preferences/aversions; and (iii) must-haves.

Peter

Last edited:
The description and pictures don't match. The boat pictured is no bigger than a 37'. My C&L 44 is the same dimensions as a MT44. My boat is 7' longer than the one pictured. Also 2' wider. A friend with a C&L 37 has similar sizes to this one.
Though it would be neat to have pictures of a genuine celebrity aboard, that is no reason to buy a boat that is too small and doesn't meet the PO's criteria.

Just curious what makes you question the size of the boat?
Photos show Two heads, approx 4 foot aft deck, sun deck, two sleeping areas, Twin Cummins power, all on a 37 foot boat?
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/marine-trader-cpmy-3671316/

Back
Top Bottom