USCBP Sticker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• boss.jpg
    boss.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 25
The greatest entertainment is to anchor in front of the customs dock. Grab a beer and a bow chair and watch the circus. I love having NEXUS.:thumb:
I'm confused about how Nexus helps with crossing the border by boat. I've crossed the border numerous times in several boats over the last 6 years, and I have yet to meet face to face with a border agent. That includes getting US cruising permits and importing a boat into Canada. I've been using the CBP ROAM app since 2018 and haven't had a decal since before that. No Nexus.

Also no test is required for entry to the US by boat. Canadians need to show proof of vaccination.

That's my experience as a Canadian on the Great Lakes/Atlantic.

I'm confused about how Nexus helps with crossing the border by boat. I've crossed the border numerous times in several boats over the last 6 years, and I have yet to meet face to face with a border agent. That includes getting US cruising permits and importing a boat into Canada. I've been using the CBP ROAM app since 2018 and haven't had a decal since before that. No Nexus.

Also no test is required for entry to the US by boat. Canadians need to show proof of vaccination.

That's my experience as a Canadian on the Great Lakes/Atlantic.
The big differance for me is this:

Passport you must go to a customs dock.

NEXUS I just call in. No stop at a customs dock.

We crossed into US at the Blaine Wa land border on Jan 29, without a Covid test requirement. Had to show proof of full vax. Can't vouch for water, but doubt it has changed.

Are you a US citizen? I ask because the rules are different for citizens vs non. The not-by-air crossings we made late last year did not require either fax or tests. We are US citizens. Still trying to sort out what, if anything, has changed.

My last two crossings were by car and by air so I might be wrong about sea. It’s something I recheck before I attempt entering the USA so that I don’t get caught off guard. My point, don’t assume the rules haven’t changed

Man you guys need to loosen up a bit. Smile and laugh a little. Enjoy life! Enjoy retirement.:thumb::lol:

It a tax.

You troll with some sort of attempt to make a political statement and then have the audacity to attack those who point it out and act like it was a joke. The word, "extortion" is a serious term, not a joke.

Well I disagree. No political conspiracy here or trolling.

But if you like paying taxes, I am sure the Treasurey Department would accept check, cash or credit card.

I remember crossing the Canadian/USA border with nothing more than a driver's license.

Shrew; said:
You're choice of language to describe the voluntary exchange of petty cash for services is Troll-like.
Hear…
twistedtree; said:
I agree. It really is trolling.
Hear…
BandB; said:
You troll with some sort of attempt to make a political statement and then have the audacity to attack those who point it out and act like it was a joke. The word, "extortion" is a serious term, not a joke.
And hear hear.
Alaskan Sea-Duction; said:
CBPS ArriveCAN app for Canada.
The ArriveCAN App is a Government of Canada requirement, not CBPS, whatever the hell that is.
Alaskan Sea-Duction; said:
Man you guys need to loosen up a bit.
I agree, after all this time we should recognize the bombastic, sensationalized, attention seeking headlines and just walk on by.

The deflection should draw heat though.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Can we all just take a deep breath and not take ourselves too seriously? :eek:

I agree. It really is trolling. "Extortion"? Really? For an annual user fee to bring your yacht through US customs as many times as you want? Is you USCG documentation fee "extortion"? Marina fees? Pump out fees?
I agree,with you and Shrew. Whiner, troll, and I`ll add, "attention seeker". I have him/her/it on "Ignore" but unfortunately see posts when quoted.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. I also have that unfortunate experience on occasion. Hey, speaking of sticker fees...There is going to be a provincial election on Ontario this year and the incumbent premier is suggesting he may do away with annual vehicle licence renewal fees. Just buy your licence plate for $20 and it's good forever.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...-renewal-fees-for-ontario-licence-plates.html

Who says the promise of $1 beer doesn't work? That's what got Ford elected last term.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4374040/doug-ford-buck-a-beer-explained/

I can't make this stuff up!

Last edited:
Also where do they want the sticker placed?

CBP

They want you to place the sticker on the Port side window, forward.

Wrong location... from the DTOPS site
"The User Fee decal for private aircraft and private vessels is to be affixed on the outside of the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, where it is visible when doors/hatches are open."

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Can we all just take a deep breath and not take ourselves too seriously? :eek:
LOL I agree. I'm still smiling. It's OK folks, boating season is just around corner.

"The User Fee decal for private aircraft and private vessels is to be affixed on the outside of the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, where it is visible when doors/hatches are open."
I am corrected as far as DTPS. However an officer told me the port side forward. Can't argue with print.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. I also have that unfortunate experience on occasion. Hey, speaking of sticker fees...There is going to be a provincial election on Ontario this year and the incumbent premier is suggesting he may do away with annual vehicle licence renewal fees. Just buy your licence plate for $20 and it's good forever....
If news I`m reading about "difficulties" crossing by road Canada to USA and vv is correct, the ability to cross by sea assumes greater importance.

I am corrected as far as DTPS. However an officer told me the port side forward. Can't argue with print.
I'm surprised you are on speaking terms with those you feel extorted by???

The big differance for me is this:

Passport you must go to a customs dock.

NEXUS I just call in. No stop at a customs dock.

Since the CBroam app, no Nexus, I've not stopped at a customs dock. You may be asked to, but they've never asked me.

That is what the instructions say, but I've never stuck it to either of my boats. Back before the CBRoam app when you had to stop, I'd carry it into the customs office to show them so they knew it wasn't stuck to the boat. It was never questioned. I don't like sticking stickers to my boat. The sticker is mainly about paying a "fee for service", a policy put in place about 20 years ago.

With my seaplane they made me taxi up to a dock but they rarely came to see me. Just cleared me to continue.

Since the CBroam app, no Nexus, I've not stopped at a customs dock. You may be asked to, but they've never asked me.

That is what the instructions say, but I've never stuck it to either of my boats. Back before the CBRoam app when you had to stop, I'd carry it into the customs office to show them so they knew it wasn't stuck to the boat. It was never questioned. I don't like sticking stickers to my boat. The sticker is mainly about paying a "fee for service", a policy put in place about 20 years ago.
I have to agree I have only given the decal # over the phone or app when checking in. I do know others that have been boarded while underway and their sticker was on the tuna door when boarded from swim platform.

within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, where it is visible when doors/hatches are open."

On my boats, just as described. On the airplane, on the inside of the baggage hatch...upside down!

Just so I am clear. I need this $31 sticker/number if I enter the US by a 31ft or larger boat but not if I enter by a 31ft or larger airplane or motorhome?

You need it if you enter by airplane, irrespective of size.

Nothing to do with the sticker but at this moment you need a negative COVID test result to enter the USA. This was not the case last September when I came in from Canada and might not be the case this summer. Just something to be aware of in your border crossing plan.

A US citizen returning to the US needs a negative test? Oh dear, what are they going to do if not? Fly you in the dead of night to an undisclosed city and put you in a hotel for 2 weeks?

A US citizen returning to the US needs a negative test? Oh dear, what are they going to do if not? Fly you in the dead of night to an undisclosed city and put you in a hotel for 2 weeks?

By commercial air yes, by boat no

Bring a boat up from Seattle in the Spring. Thanks. I always find something useful in these threads. Hopefully we can save some time in Ketchikan after a long trip.

Insurance requirements in Canada

At the Seattle Boat Show the Waggoner Guide folks told us several marinas in BC are now requiring copies of your certificate of insurance for guest moorage.

They require a $2,000,000 liability which can include an umbrella, but specific language must be on the umbrella policy. I am not planning to go to Canada this year and I don't need 20 people telling me I am wrong. This is just a heads up for anyone planning to make the trip.

I did take the time to contact the folks at Ganges and they confirmed the information I was given by the Waggoner Guide folks is correct. One of my friends contacted them too and was told that insurance as listed below would work:

$300,000 liability policy
$997,000 environmental cleanup liability
$1,000,000 umbrella policy.

Do your own research. I just would hate to hear someone did all the planning, reservations, etc. and showed up only to be told their insurance COI won't work and they can't stay on the dock.

This is not exactly news, may be more widespread, but we've had to show $300k in several places over the years, and Nanaimo YC always asked for a million coverage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom