Update on Best Marine Wax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3M Heavy Duty rubbing Compound

3M Finesse It

3M Premium Marine Wax with PTEF

I have no idea what PTEF is, but I have seen it last far better than anything I have used before it. In terms of a wax it must have PTEF if I am going to use it. Easier on the shoulders too.

I don't see any harm in trying. I stick with Rain-x for the windows and 303 products for any rubber or plastic stuff. It's always worked well and I am assuming it's good UV protection. The hybrid and ceramic stuff may bead water better just not so sure about uv protection.

I have not tried 303 products so just looked it up. Promises "up to 60 days of protection." Maybe real life is better than that, but that's not an impressive promise.

I have not tried 303 products so just looked it up. Promises "up to 60 days of protection." Maybe real life is better than that, but that's not an impressive promise.
303 Fabric Guard water repellant treatment is the only treatment recommended by Sunbrella. It lasted a full season easily in the NE. Can't speak to south. Conditions of application affect performance a lot. Best when canvas is suspended, in full sun when temps are HOT. Let 303 warm up in sun and apply in light spray (do not soak). Multi light coats applied at 90° angles and high 80° to 90° temps best.
303 Aerospace Protectant is great for rubber & plastic and lasts as well or better than any other treatments I have tried. Also works well as a tire treatment as it protects UV and has no hydrocarbon solvents.

303 Fabric Guard water repellant treatment is the only treatment recommended by Sunbrella. It lasted a full season easily in the NE. Can't speak to south. Conditions of application affect performance a lot. Best when canvas is suspended, in full sun when temps are HOT. Let 303 warm up in sun and apply in light spray (do not soak). Multi light coats applied at 90° angles and high 80° to 90° temps best.
303 Aerospace Protectant is great for rubber & plastic and lasts as well or better than any other treatments I have tried. Also works well as a tire treatment as it protects UV and has no hydrocarbon solvents.

I have to agree. I first found 303 because of the Sunbrella endorsement and will use nothing else on my boat or house canvas. If you have a lot of canvas, buy it by the gallon and use a garden sprayer. I this started using the vinyl/rubber protectant soon after and this year started using their clear vinyl cleaner protectant on isinglass windows. Much easier than the Inmar wax I was using so I'll likely do it more often. Easy to find on Amazon. There may be better products, but I trust 303 is among the best.

Good to know. Thanks

3M Heavy Duty rubbing Compound

3M Finesse It

3M Premium Marine Wax with PTEF

I have no idea what PTEF is, but I have seen it last far better than anything I have used before it. In terms of a wax it must have PTEF if I am going to use it. Easier on the shoulders too.
I think you may mean PTFE; Polytetraflouroethelyne, also known as Teflon.

ePTFE is Gore Tex.

Two really great inventions.

Last edited:
Carnuba wax on windows. It lasts a year in SE Alaska in my experience and works so well I use on the car and truck windshields.

Tom

Another vote for the 303 products for canvas and rubber/vinyl/hypalon (dink).

Regarding wax, I've tried them all over the years. Meguiars "Ultimate" synthetic polymer sealer is the best I've found. Not a wax....easy to apply....no swirls like wax...super shine....slick surface...doesn't yellow...seems to last much better than wax. Relatively expensive.

For wax removal I spray on Purple degreaser to a small patch, and immediately wipe it off with a damp towel. Then wet the surface with a hose and wipe it a second time. If it stays on too long it can yellow the substrate, so do a small patch at a time (technique dependent, but quick and relatively easy). The yellowed substrate can be scrubbed back to white if it happens. Green Stuff might also work...

I have to agree. I first found 303 because of the Sunbrella endorsement and will use nothing else on my boat or house canvas. If you have a lot of canvas, buy it by the gallon and use a garden sprayer. I this started using the vinyl/rubber protectant soon after and this year started using their clear vinyl cleaner protectant on isinglass windows. Much easier than the Inmar wax I was using so I'll likely do it more often. Easy to find on Amazon. There may be better products, but I trust 303 is among the best.

What are you using your 303 on? Canvas, eisenglass, hull?

303 makes several different products. I use their fabric protector on canvas (boat and house deck), I use their aerospace protectant on all vinyl, rubber, plastic (boat and car), and I use their Clear Vinyl protective cleaner on eisenglass. I just started using this and find it works well and is easier than the Imar "wax" I was using on the vinyl windows. All their products seem very good to me.

Back
Top Bottom