Suggestions for paid or unpaid part time crew person in BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
I’m running in to issues this summer with friends/family dropping out of cruising dates due to work, medical etc reasons.

Any suggestions for finding help by the week (several weeks at a time) paid? Or find a cruising buddy who just wants to be out on the water, expenses paid.

Maybe next summer I’ll just have to find someone for the entire summer / fall if that’s possible.

My college athlete kids would be the solution if they weren’t so involved now with internships.

The reality is I may just need to shorten my schedule this year but curious as to what others have done.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hiring casual labor could be tricky… good luck! (This is why I have a boat that can be run single-handed).

Hiring casual labor could be tricky… good luck! (This is why I have a boat that can be run single-handed).

I may end up doing that. I’m not worried about running it nor docking (probably not much difference in ease of use of our boats) though an extra pair of eyes and hands is always useful. It’s more what if I slip and injure myself type accident? I don’t mind the extra company though, and if it makes the experience safer and/or more enjoyable then I’m fine with that.
I often did this with my seaplane but for a different reason…it needed to be minded at the public docks where I landed or flown out to return later while I stayed.

Last edited:
Both in Canada and the USA, maritime law is very strict regarding paid crew. Dealing with the taxes is the easy part. It’s easy to pay some one under the table but if there is an injury or a dispute you will end up in Admiralty Court.

I hear you! I take extra care, and make sure my boat doesn’t require any risky maneuvers… fenders stay in place on the side deck, lines remain in place, secured. Good luck on your cruise!

Both in Canada and the USA, maritime law is very strict regarding paid crew. Dealing with the taxes is the easy part. It’s easy to pay some one under the table but if there is an injury or a dispute you will end up in Admiralty Court.

Very good to know, and I had forgotten that so thank you for the reminder.
That’s why I suppose my insurance company covers me for crew but something I’ll look in to.
Probably a moot point.

If you've exhausted your family and friends list then you could tap your "aqaintance" list. Maybe you'll find someone that clicks well with your style. Think friends of friends as a possible source. Also you may need to cover the costs, a good fit may not be able to share running costs. I took out lots of crew in my sailing days. You filter through who you'd like to return vs others that were not a good fit. If you come up with some people I'd suggest some weekend type trips to test compatibility before planning longer trips.

In my experience anyway you slice it, it takes work.

An interesting concept this one…
bowball; said:
Or find a cruising buddy who just wants to be out on the water, expenses paid.
…but things have changed so much over time, I wonder if “expenses paid” might just be considered compensation, to various authorities.

I have a thought or two and would like to first of all know the boat; is it built for two? Next the itinerary; where, how long, marinas or hook?

I know an old meat and potatoes salt, who knows the BC coast and if fed and put to bed, would be hard to remove. Maybe.

Maybe I'm the odd one out here but I just drive my boat alone.

No big deal. Yes there is always the chance something could happen I suppose but if that happens I'll deal with it like all the other things I've had to deal with over the years.

No big deal. Yes there is always the chance something could happen I suppose but if that happens I'll deal with it like all the other things I've had to deal with over the years.

:thumb::thumb:

An interesting concept this one…

…but things have changed so much over time, I wonder if “expenses paid” might just be considered compensation, to various authorities.

I have a thought or two and would like to first of all know the boat; is it built for two? Next the itinerary; where, how long, marinas or hook?

I know an old meat and potatoes salt, who knows the BC coast and if fed and put to bed, would be hard to remove. Maybe.

3 stateroom 2 heads.

I may well end up doing this. Though I just asked another friend today.

If you are ever in or around L.A. I would be happy to stop by to chat about it.

Geez, we don't even get to drive the boat
All we get to do is press the start button
Press the anchor up button
And press the "auto" button on the autopilot ;)

Everyone has different risk tolerances, and some people don't like to travel alone for various reasons which I respect. I just finished leg 1 of my trip heading north today and am currently sitting at the dock after a 7.5 hour run. A walk in the park compared to what others do on boats. A bit lumpier than predicted so I spent most of my time sitting in the helm chair to avoid walking around unless it was absolutely needed. All systems green; departing tomorrow am.

Have you considered findcrew.com? Plenty seem to be willing to cruise unpaid.

I'm a vet. I call the local vet center, they put up a sign, and I get more people than I need. And they're more reliable than the usual dock character or family.

When I go to Alaska, I sometimes place an ad in a commercial fishing paper and usually snag people that want a cannery or fishing boat job. They get a free trip, food and a reference from me. If they're sharp, I give them some education in nav, splicing, and diesels.

Once you do this a couple times, you'll have people calling.

Crew in B.C.

Hi Bowball,
I am PM-ing you right now.
C Lady

Sending a PM about this.

Boating alone. I have a Marine Trader 41, single screw, bowthruster and my best friend Otto the autopilot. I often boat alone since the wife doesn't really like boating. And yes, **** can happen, you just have to be really meticulous in planning and not become complacent in navigation, anchoring or weather.

What I find now is that the appeal of boating alone really isn't there. My boat is becoming sort of a dock queen and a project boat.

I'm finding that there are lot of lonely boat captains out there so this problem of finding crew is not uncommon.

Last edited:
If you have a USCG operator's license, even just the basic OUPV (Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels), flip the script on all the no-show "helpers," and problem solved. Let your friends and their friends know that you will consider allowing folks to travel with you if they are compatible and if they chip in to help cover the boat's expenses. Once they invest in your boating adventure, they're unlikely to back out.

For further guidance, pick up Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, and read the part about how Tom gets help whitewashing the fence.

(Repeating for emphasis: a captain's license is necessary for this to be legal).

I admire the "Picton-Castle" model of crewing... Owners were experienced tall ship people.... They realized that "Volunteered" crew and unsubsidized tall ships didn't really work..... They refit a steamer, with suitable under water shape to a real working tall ship... They have their crew PAY to come aboard and learn the ways of trade and sail.... So far it has been successful I believe... I haven't checked on them in years

Apparently still working... Covid go fund me for a bit, but latest blog post, getting underway for an around the world adventure in October 2022... Crew sign on for action, adventure and romance...and pay up before hand..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom