PNW, 6-8 Weeks charter this year.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drumbeat,
Sounds like you got a geography lesson as well as some decent recommendations on outfits that might be able to help. As a previous poster said, Anacortes is the jumping off point for many vessels doing the inside passage up to Alaska.

I would also ask to join "Boating the Inside Passage to Alaska" Facebook page. It's what it sounds like, a page of cruisers boating the inside passage. You might find someone willing to charter their vessel or you might find a berth or two on someone's boat that needs an extra pair of hands for the trip. Either way, you'll learn a lot about the inside passage. As RedRascal said, it's a once in a lifetime experience and a lot of boats make the trip.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

As RedRascal said, it's a once in a lifetime experience and a lot of boats make the trip.
You're overlooking the hundreds of thousands of people who ply the waters of BC every day and have called it home since long before those in the USNW laid claim to it.

This was a fun read. Good luck to the OP.

For me, Vancouver Island north to the top of Alaska/NWT is God's country!! Love every inch. Been to many of them and still have lots to see.

So one question. Seattle stuff........naaa this could turn political. I withdraw my question....

You're overlooking the hundreds of thousands of people who ply the waters of BC every day and have called it home since long before those in the USNW laid claim to it.

I’m not quite sure how my comments have overlooked hundreds of thousands of people but ah OK . Whatever. Just trying to help the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not quite sure how my comments have overlooked hundreds of thousands of people but ah OK. Whatever. Just trying to help the OP.
Just saying, that once in a lifetime experience is in relation to a very small number of people.

There are boaters on here who do it every year and others who make a life of it. Many helping to make that "once in a lifetime" gig work.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a shortened season this year, you should have a look at the west side of Vancouver Island. No need to go north.
West side is on my bucket list. I hear it can be a challenge.

what do you hear? You come out of the Columbia mouth, up the coast of WA, into Juan de puca.
How do you envision west side being a challenge, comparatively speaking.

So I have been told to go around the Island counter-clock wise. On the west side the biggest challenge is the weather and open ocean. Yes I come up from the Columbia, but that is only 190 miles and 12-13 hours.

That being said, the west side is very beautiful, so I am told.

So I have been told to go around the Island counter-clock wise. On the west side the biggest challenge is the weather and open ocean. Yes I come up from the Columbia, but that is only 190 miles and 12-13 hours.

That being said, the west side is very beautiful, so I am told.

yes counter clockwise seems best. I expect you would get the same seas going clockwise as on your trip from Astoria.
The difference I see is coastline. Vancouver Island has a jagged coast with numerous inlets for getting out of weather.
Been a while and on the bucket list to return to the fresh water hot spring by the salt water. Sitting in the pools in steaming water a stone throw from the cold ocean water. https://www.tofinohiking.com/hikes/hot-springs-cove/

Been a while and on the bucket list to return to the fresh water hot spring by the salt water. Sitting in the pools in steaming water a stone throw from the cold ocean water.

Don’t set your expectations too high.
Tofino/Ucluelet with a combined total population of 4,000 will see close to one million tourists in 2022.

All but seven of them will be in the hot springs if it opens again.

Don’t set your expectations too high.

Tofino/Ucluelet with a combined total population of 4,000 will see close to one million tourists in 2022.

All but seven of them will be in the hot springs if it opens again.
The popularity of the hot springs has grown over the years to the point it is as bad as soin2la describes. Maybe even worse, I'm not entirely sure there will be seven who forego the hot springs. The vast majority of visitors to the hot springs arrive by whale watch/tour boat or float plane. Arriving mid morning and departing mid afternoon. I've enjoyed great experiences at the hot springs by arriving mid to late afternoon and walking to the hot springs after the crowd departs or next morning early before they arrive. On rare occasions we have had the place to ourselves early in the morning.

Hot Springs Cove is closed until further notice.
Vancouver Island has now surpassed the Rockie Mountains as western Canada's most popular tourist destination. Wildlife, specifically grizzly bears and whales, along with the Pacific Rim National Park are the attractions.

Ferrys are routinely sold out, accomodations and campsites, booked months, even a year in advance.

Hot Springs Cove is closed until further notice.
Vancouver Island has now surpassed the Rockie Mountains as western Canada's most popular tourist destination. Wildlife, specifically grizzly bears and whales, along with the Pacific Rim National Park are the attractions.

Ferrys are routinely sold out, accomodations and campsites, booked months, even a year in advance.

I have my trawler at Sidney. Is it too much of an adventure to see the west coast of Vancouver Island?

Drumbeat this may be of some use to you. One of the local magazines publishes a guide for charters in Washington State and British Columbia, Canada. Generally speaking there are 4 cruising areas that the charter companies support. They are the San Juan Islands in Washington State then in British Columbia there are the Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. Logistically the charter companies are close to these areas and it works well for folks that charter for a week or two. The highest density is around the San Juans and Gulf Islands.

https://www.nwyachting.com/northwest-yachtings-2019-chartering-guide/

A charter for only Alaska may be a bit tougher to find because there just isn't the same demand that exists in Washington State and British Columbia.

Good luck on your search.

I have my trawler at Sidney. Is it too much of an adventure to see the west coast of Vancouver Island?

It can be as much adventure as you make it. Counterclockwise is preferred, due to the prevailing winds from the northwest. Many weather systems will require a few extra days while you wait for better conditions, depending, of course, on you and your boat. That said, many of the inlets are sparsely populated and never crowded, so great places to wait out a blow.
Due to its popularity, which Soin2la is not exaggerating, I wouldn't stop at Hotsprings Cove unless you are deliberate about avoiding the crowded times.
If you have the time, take several weeks doing the outside.

A charter operator in Bellingham WA, NW Explorations, runs flotilla bare-boat charters to SE AK and back. Most of the boats are Grand Banks. In addition to the up and down trips, they charter the boats while they are in Alaska....you would fly there to meet the boat. You might see if what they have to offer is appealing. I know NWX and moor my boat near their docks. It's a well-run operation.

Ken, is your’s the same Hatt Trick vessel that was in Benicia, Ca. Previously ? Its beautiful and looks familiar.

The boat was in CA when I bought it 20 years ago, at the Cabrillo marina near San Pedro. It had a different name then, so it's not the same boat. Thanks for checking.....

Back
Top Bottom