navy personnelboat 28 ft, ww2 rivetted steel hul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack-113

Veteran Member
Hello,

Is there anybody who can help we with drawings or info on a Navy 28ft Personnelboat?

I think I have such a boat, but first of all I am looking for some evidence dat it actually is one.

Also: These boats were normally carried by large Navy ships, but there is no evidence that there has been such a ship over here in the Netherlands in those days.

Posting a few pictures of your boat would be helpful to possibly identifying the type.

Ted

agreed, posting a picture or two would help.
i own a ww2 vintage navy lifeboat, and it should be similar construction. there were a lot of surplus vessels after ww2 that got sold off for scrap price. i have the original navy i.d. plaque with the hull number and capacity, i bet that's a pretty rare thing these days.

US Naval Academy in Maryland, IF you can get to the correct department.
Is there any HIN or Navy ID.
Picture might help narrow it down a bit.

Last edited:
MIT has a marine collection , they sell copies for a modest fee.

All these specs reads 'wood hull'. Only one has an option in Aluminum. None say steel.

Does it have a 2 cabin and a standup outside mid ship steer station?

Hello,

Is there anybody who can help we with drawings or info on a Navy 28ft Personnelboat?

I think I have such a boat, but first of all I am looking for some evidence dat it actually is one.

Also: These boats were normally carried by large Navy ships, but there is no evidence that there has been such a ship over here in the Netherlands in those days.

picture: IMG_0081.jpg IMG_0081.jpg

hello,

is there anybody who can help we with drawings or info on a navy 28ft personnelboat?

I think i have such a boat, but first of all i am looking for some evidence dat it actually is one.

Also: These boats were normally carried by large navy ships, but there is no evidence that there has been such a ship over here in the netherlands in those days.

IMG_0938.jpg

agreed, posting a picture or two would help.
i own a ww2 vintage navy lifeboat, and it should be similar construction. there were a lot of surplus vessels after ww2 that got sold off for scrap price. i have the original navy i.d. plaque with the hull number and capacity, i bet that's a pretty rare thing these days.

Hello, interesting, could you send a picture??

US Naval Academy in Maryland, IF you can get to the correct department.
Is there any HIN or Navy ID.
Picture might help narrow it down a bit.

Hello, I have posted a picture of how it is now, and how it used to be approx 10 years ago.
I can not find an ID, where could these be found?

Of course there are some things that should be similar . Like the engine mounting base. That is a solid heavy base for quite a big engine.

Wooden hulls were also riveted in some cases. I've seen steel and wood riveted together before but that may have been a exception.

I served on several WWII built ships. All the ships boats from that time period were wood. As were harbor patrol boats. Steel was needed elsewhere. Ships that were later modernized got fiberglass replacements. The only riveted steel boat hulls of that time I've seen were lifeboats on cargo and troopships. Hundreds of light weight riveted lifeboats were sold as those ships were scrapped, starting in the late 1950s.
If you have a former steel lifeboat, take care of the hull and rivets. They were only designed for a single use. I know of a number that had hull failures in old age. Usually the rivet heads rust or corrode, loosening the panels. Eventually a panel opens, sometimes a whole panel rips off.

I served on several WWII built ships. All the ships boats from that time period were wood. As were harbor patrol boats. Steel was needed elsewhere. Ships that were later modernized got fiberglass replacements. The only riveted steel boat hulls of that time I've seen were lifeboats on cargo and troopships. Hundreds of light weight riveted lifeboats were sold as those ships were scrapped, starting in the late 1950s.
If you have a former steel lifeboat, take care of the hull and rivets. They were only designed for a single use. I know of a number that had hull failures in old age. Usually the rivet heads rust or corrode, loosening the panels. Eventually a panel opens, sometimes a whole panel rips off.

agreed. i recently stripped, repaired and tar epoxied mine. it's a big job to do it right, and vigilance is required on any steel boat. most rust from the inside out.
the lifeboats aren't exactly light weight. my 35 footer weighs around 30,000 pounds with a wooden superstructure.

hello what kind of engines were mounted in those lifeboats? I'd say tha my boat has had quite a big engine. Normally lifeboats don't have much big engines. 3 of max 4 cil with 40 hp? The boat I have here has an engine-mounting-base that could carry an engine that goes with a 28ft personnelboat mk6. Or did the lifeboats have the same engines?

agreed. i recently stripped, repaired and tar epoxied mine. it's a big job to do it right, and vigilance is required on any steel boat. most rust from the inside out.
the lifeboats aren't exactly light weight. my 35 footer weighs around 30,000 pounds with a wooden superstructure.

could you perhaps send a picture of engine environment and fuel tank?

An Admirals Barge?

I was thinking the same thing, but it seems tad smallish for that, at least by modern standards. I would guess it was used as a captain's GIG, but in WWII, whoh knows possibly an admiral's BARGE.

We carried one similar craft on each of the three guided missile destroyers I was assigned to back in the 70s and 80s as a captain's gig. We also had a 26-foot whaleboat. One the larger DDG, we also had a 36-foot open personnel boat.

The only time I ever rode in the gig was when the captain invited me. Otherwise it was usually in the hired shore boat which could carry many more of our crew than the small boats we carried.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom