Interior color challenge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife pics the interior colors as we both know I'm color coordination challenged. However, white on the most often used seat in the place, no. Factor some practicality in to the helm seat color. They're used a lot, exposed more to the sun, and unlike your guests in their nice clothes, sooner or later there will be something on the seat of your pants that will leave a mark. Have never seen a white helm chair that looked clean years later.

Ted

A nice traditional blue with red and white accent pillows etc. would be nice in my opinion.

Color Palette

The wife here, enjoying the conversation from afar. For those of you who are interested in the context of all this, here's a pic of the different materials we are currently working with for upholstery, pillows, coverlets, curtains, countertops, hull and wood finishes. The hull color sample is the upper left corner greeny thing in both pics. For your creative pleasure.

Attachments

• IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 55
FWIW, the red is fine in the saloon but I would tend to go with the more neutral, lighter color in the PH. As mentioned before, the lighter color will make the space seem larger but also the lighter color will absorb less heat through the PH windows, Malin temp control a lot easier.

To be honest, its your boat, so make it whatever suits your fancy.

I'm more of a traditionalist in color choice, but thats just me.

It certainly is Vibrant and catches the eye. :)

Our pilot house fabric was also failing, it was white. We went with black, and so far, heat has not been a problem. We do use a windshield cover on those days when the sun shows up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
You could always take a cue from big brother American Tug 485.

Attachments

• 5845082_20160620113055937_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5845082_20160620113055937_1_XLARGE.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 46
Yes, we'been studying pictures of that boat for cues. The trick is how to do it in a way that "works" rather than a way that "assaults". It can be done, but it's tricky.

Last edited:
If you like red, try using it a plaid. In my case, blue was my dominant color...

Attachments

• dinette after.jpg
    dinette after.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 53
Well, it isn't for you now is it?
The nice thing about interior fabric colors is that they can be replaced easily enough...
The idea of a beige interior or blue or brown impacts me the same way this apparently impacts you!
Bruce

Get back to us after it's the first thing you see in the morning BEFORE you've had any coffee...with a hangover. :eek:

We are in the same situation as the OP. EVERYTHING in/on our boat was some shade of tan or beige, even the hull and cabin sides are cream instead of white. The bimini was toast. The FB cushions were tan. The carpet was beige. The couch is tan. The barstools were a tan and cream tweed. The bunkcovers were tan and cream plaid....you get the picture. It was disgusting, neutral done to the point of utter boredom.

We changed the Bimini to Pearl Gray Stamoid, the FB cushions to a slightly darker gray, the barstools to a chocolate leather and switched the carpet to a synthetic teak and holly. Bright throw pillows on the couch help it too.

We have

Greetings,
Re: post #25. First time I've EVER seen a vessel's saloon with a mirrored ceiling...Mr. R. You are indeed a Rebel.

Also agree. Too much red.

A Rebel? Hum do you know where we usually find mirrored ceiling? I guess Mr R is a fine connoisseur.. or maybe a pimp (ok I am just joking here ok I am not sarcastic)

:dance:

By the way I also think there is too much red, I would use either a neutral color (black or white) or a complementary color of red. Or use wood in the back of forward bench to match the other wood and the color you want as it will not be seen from astern.

Our struggle with colours/fabrics for the main upholstery began the day we took possession of Retreat, in 1994 and it isn't over yet. There is no right answer. Once you make the choice, spend the time and money to get it all the way you want it, someone spills red wine, the helm seat gets dirty, the sun fades the darker colours (red will go first), the foam squashes and doesn't bounce back, etc.. Our most recent iteration is now covered up much of the time, as the dark blue is fading where the sun gets it at too great a rate.

OTOH, since the choice you make now won't last, you might as well go for the more outlandish colours, if they will fit your personality best. Then when the sober second thoughts and the early fading/wear/staining will get you a quick change.

Well perhaps this not traditional but we reupholstered the settee with a vinyl that appears like leather, and is grained like leather. It's soft, comfortable, and you don't stick to it. Best of all, you can spill a bottle of red wine on it and it will just wipe clean. It's a couple of years old now, we live aboard and sit on it constantly if we can get the dogs to move out of the way and it looks like the day it was installed. Just sayin'

If you are doing this for resale then go with what has the broadest appeal otherwise pick what you like. The red looks nice.

I also like the poppy red (the photoshop color doesn't look overly "bold" on my screen) and would go with the second option except using black in the helm area, as others suggested, rather than grey or white. And just regulate the sun exposure/effects. Add some coordinating soft blinds (black/red/white Tartan plaid light-filtering Roman shades/blinds? And FlyWright likes it, too, so it must be stylish!). You have teak & holly sole, so that nod to the traditional would work.

Last edited:
Well perhaps this not traditional but we reupholstered the settee with a vinyl that appears like leather, and is grained like leather. It's soft, comfortable, and you don't stick to it. Best of all, you can spill a bottle of red wine on it and it will just wipe clean. It's a couple of years old now, we live aboard and sit on it constantly if we can get the dogs to move out of the way and it looks like the day it was installed. Just sayin'
Another wineo here . "Wine a little bit it will make you feel better"

Attachments

• IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 57
What's the worry about spilled red wine? "Wine Away" is a spray product that neutralizes red wine stains on just about any fabric, including white wedding dresses!
We keep it on the boat and at home, and never worry about wine stains.

Bill

What's the worry about spilled red wine? "Wine Away" is a spray product that neutralizes red wine stains on just about any fabric, including white wedding dresses!
We keep it on the boat and at home, and never worry about wine stains.

Bill

Sounds like pre mixed Oxy Clean.
Should be on every boat ?

Attachments

• Storm 4.jpg
    Storm 4.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 59
I "accept" the convenience of our Flag Blue interior upholstry, but nearly every other option I've seen makes me want to explore further. Just a couple of days ago, I was aboard another Manatee where the Admiral of the boat had changed a tripical style green leaf print material to this (photo). Not my taste, but it's clear she wanted red in the scheme and a print is a good alternative in getting the colors you want in the scheme without overwhelming the other decor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
When you pick fabric there is a ware number. Sunbrella is on the high end at 80K. We up graded our Nordic Tug with fabric that is 90K.
We wanted a rich, custom look, that was different than the everyday smooth leather look. Also the fabric does not make your bare legs sweat.

IMG_1478293474.213533.jpgIMG_1478293570.402838.jpgIMG_1478293585.585486.jpgIMG_1478293619.289853.jpgIMG_1478293632.480591.jpg

When you pick fabric there is a ware number. Sunbrella is on the high end at 80K. We up graded our Nordic Tug with fabric that is 90K.
We wanted a rich, custom look, that was different than the everyday smooth leather look. Also the fabric does not make your bare legs sweat.

Very nice and clean looking, I like it very much. :thumb:

Yeah, that is a very clean looking combo.

Bruce, I found this a very interesting project and I had some time to play with the colors this afternoon while waiting for the Admiral. The only place I could get the red to really work acceptably with the wood was in piping on off white. I'm also thinking about trying to lighten up my own teak interior with a brighter color so thanks for the inspiration. Anyway, here's the off-white with red piping. Probably should be wine red...can't say much for the pinkish pillows though.

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Here we go, pillows better now.

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 92
The red piping would look really nice. Having had off-white cloth before, I am just leery of the light color fabric showing wear and discoloration more easily and sooner than I had hoped. This is why I would prefer the red or Pgitug's setup (which I love). But it does look sharp and clean (which is why I had off-white before).

Edit: then again, maybe I should just do laundry and shower more often... or change my TF name to Linus?

That's a hell of a photoshopping job, with the pillows too. Really nice.

Last edited:
And by the way.....regardless of what you do ya gotta add a little spice to that table.... boring you know.

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 91
I can't think of a topic (other than anchors) that will elicit more personal opinions. In the end, you need to live with what you decide on so pick what you and the spouse like best and enjoy it. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I can't think of a topic (other than anchors) that will elicit more personal opinions. In the end, you need to live with what you decide on so pick what you and the spouse like best and enjoy it. It's all a matter of personal preference.

By the way what fabric color do you use to wipe your anchor? :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom