Inflatable SUP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saturn

We purchased a Saturn SUP (following a Saturn KaBoat 2 years before) and have been very satisfied. I have no affiliation with Saturn and I am a novice. I have not ridden a solid SUP for comparison. It's probably not the stiffest thing you can buy, but it reeks of quality and makes me smile. It came with a pump, bag, paddle, and leash for under 600. It's a 13' "racing" SUP. Boats too.com has it listed for 399 at the moment, it's the blue and white one. Recommended.

I am unable to row for long without pain, but I can paddle the SUP with no issues.

Mr. Negative from "concrete" goes on my ignore list now.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Couple of things to add here.

SUP: Very common term in paddle sports. Anyone with even a tiny bit of paddling experience knows what it means.

SUP (Stand Up Paddle Boards) Vs. Canoes/kayaks: At 52 yo (years old) Kayaks and Canoes (to a lesser degree) kill my back after sitting in them for more than 10 or 15 minutes. I find SUPs to be much more comfortable to paddle. Also, standing up allows you to see a heck of a lot better, not only what's in front of you but also down into the water. As a fisherman (a person who likes to fish) I really like that. The core work out is an added bonus. SUPs are way easier to store on boat than a kayak or canoe. There are lots of different shapes and sizes, many of them are surprisingly stable. Most people can get the hang of them (gain some level of competence) in less than an hour.

There are basically two kinds of boards, those made for flatwater (means no waves) and those made for surf. The flatwater boards are all pretty stable. The boards for surf are narrower (not as wide), have less flotation, and are more tender (less stable, more likely to tip over).

Only down side is that you kind of have to get two of them. No such thing as a tandem (a small boat that is set up for two people) SUP.

Inflatables: We had a hobie inflatable for a few years. I stored it on my flybridge when I left the boat for a few weeks, when I got back the heat caused the glue in one of the seams to delam (Delaminate ((adhesive failure)). They are easier to store, but you have to be careful. They don't paddle quite as well as a hard board, but they are pretty close. We replaced it with a hard board.

In my days in South Louisiana I learned pretty quick that almost anything can mean supper. LOL.

Dougcole,
Very good informative post and filled in some info for me. I have some back problems and even cars are a problem at times. Kayaks are too confining for me. After an hour I want out. Canoes are much more confortable as one can move around much more and even stand up unless the canoe is narrow (32" or so).

How wide are the hard standups? My favorite canoe is 37" wide but has lots more stability than most canoes because it carries it's beam further into the ends. So two or so feet aft of the bow (stem) my Alumacraft may be twice as wide as the typical canoe. Gruman's are wider in the ends too but not as much as my Alumacraft. Wider FG canoes and old wood canoes are inbetween high performance canoes and canoes w full ends. I have a FG diamond shaped canoe that is very skinny at both ends but 35" midships. I'm sure it's faster but it feels just like my wide boys as far as speed is concerned. My wide canoe turns much better than than the diamond shaped canoe even though it has a 1" keel. I tortured it into about 1" of rocker. Love the way it handles. It tracks well in windy paddling.

This feature (full ends) is carried to new extremes in/on the SUP's as far as wide full ends are concerned. I think the full ends are giving them most of their added stability. Like my canoe. How wide are the SUPs? A relative of mine brought one down from Canada last summer and it looked about 40" wide but that was totally eyeball.

The thing that turns me off the SUPs is the seemingly very poor mechanical advantage of the excessively long paddle. Looks like it would torque my body in a very uncomfortable way. But it's totally subjective. And I like sitting down.

I saw a video of a SUP on TV w a scotter like control "mast" or handlebars that apparently was electric powered. When all the cuteness is gone I wonder how many will be in the future. Hardly see any hang gliders anymore and almost never a hulls-hoop.

Pic of us on an early spring paddle on a nearby lake in the Alumacraft.

Attachments

• DSCF2201 copy.jpg
    DSCF2201 copy.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Maybe a good platform for a flexible solar cell bimini and a battery powering a single electric motor (no bow thruster), a handlebar like a scooter and a handlebar-controlled rudder. I bet the rigid models can carry the battery weight. Could be a fun summer project.

I haven't seen the electric one, but Hobie makes a board with peddles...you step up and down on it kind of like an exercise machine. I haven't tried one, but I've heard they are more of a workout than they look. Super spendy, around $2,500, I think.

There are some really thick, wide, high floating boards out there. Bote makes some that are made for fishing that have a leaning post and a cooler on them. You can fly cast off of them with no problem.

Not sure on the leverage thing. Really good paddlers lean way forward and pull the paddle sort of straight back, rather than "levering" the blade like with a canoe paddle. I did a really lousy job of describing that, easier to see than explain.

Thank Dougcole. I found that quite humourous. Well done.

Dude,
Other than being cool what is the (if any) advantage over paddling a canoe. Seems to me a very weak stroke is all to be had standing up. Far more powerful sitting or kneeling. Try it standing or/and sitting on the ground. Are you advertising that you're not afraid of tipping/falling over? If you're the show me kind I hope you don't fall in wearing a Hong Kong suit.

I have a kayak but it hurts my back for some reason after more than an hour. It's probably a crappy kayak though.

I just like the experience of standing up and paddling better. I used to surf back in the day and it just feels more natural to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
these stupid acronyms drive me nuts. It's rude to not at first, in this case declare "stand up paddle board" and thereafter "sup". Preferably in the title, and then first time in the text. Got nothing against "cd" (car dude) but why do so many do this. It's obvious lots of people won't know what it means. But it continues. Perhaps it makes people feel youthful ??? I don't even know if acronyms are a youth thing but i'm sure retirement age people don't often use acronyms in this way. I think i'll just continue to ignore posts that revolve around acronyms. Like this one occasionally i'll click on just to see what it means. But often i have to read many posts to figure it out. One thing's for sure .. Using acronyms indiscriminately is not a plus for good communication. Obviously it is if it's very common as in pow "prisoner of war". But i lived on an island named prince of wales is. And of course everybody called their island pow. But they didn't try that in seattle .. Unless they just didn't think much.

rofpmsl

A beautiful lady in a bikini looks a lot better on a SUP than in a canoe.

with my ex-wife's cooking, having a DNR on file was necessary prior to eating any meal !!

Wifey B: Bad, bad, bad boy. Like a girl I knew who every time she saw a restaurant advertising home cooking, or just like mom's, she wasn't about to go to them as her mom cooked horribly. :)

My mom couldn't cook. Didn't matter what it was it all tasted the same and all lousy.

A beautiful lady in a bikini looks a lot better on a SUP than in a canoe.

Sometimes you just get the right slip in the marina! I wasn't going to take a picture until my wife pulled out her camera for her yoga group. I said, "In that case, this one's for my Trawler Forum imaginary friends."

img_564533_0_796e1c89c2201e04d5a1183fef2604c1.jpg

I haven't seen the electric one, but Hobie makes a board with peddles...you step up and down on it kind of like an exercise machine. I haven't tried one, but I've heard they are more of a workout than they look. Super spendy, around $2,500, I think.

I'm in Friday Harbor tonight. There's a guy here renting them for $20/hr. Looks like a nautical Segway, very rapid. Works like a stairmaster, but the underwater part looks like big swimfins. I've never been the least bit interested in my daughter's SUP, which is right here on the boat; looks too much like a combination of work, discomfort and instability, but this Hobie thingie....jusst maybe.

God! I loved this post!!!:flowers::rofl::lol::D

context is everything.....

SUP What's Up?
SUP Soudé Usine Process (welded machine process)
SUP Supuration (band)

SUP Supplement/Supplemental
SUP Supplemental Dictionary (File Name Extension)
SUP Society for Ultrastructural Pathology
SUP Standard Unit of Processing
SUP Sport Utility Pack (automotive)
SUP Sustaining University Program (program of PEE)
SUP Suspect Unapproved Part
SUP Service Use Profile
SUP Shot Under Protest
SUP Single Unit Pack (automobile exportation)
SUP Software Update Protocol
SUP Sophia University Press (Japan)
SUP Shared Use Path (various locations)

SUP Run Support (baseball; runs scored for a pitcher per 9 innings)
SUP Senshu University Press (Senshu University; Tokyo, Japan)
SUP Stanford University Press
SUP Start-Up Program
SUP State University Plaza (New York)
SUP Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis
SUP Superintendent
SUP Superscript (HTML markup tag)
SUP Supervisor
SUP Supine
SUP Sustainable Production
SUP Stand Up Paddleboarding (sport)
SUP Stand Up Paddleboat
SUP Sydney University Press (Australia)
SUP Supplementary
SUP Supply
SUP Support
SUP Supremum (least upper bound)
SUP Special Use Permit
SUP Specific Use Permit (city planning and zoning)
SUP Spherical Unit Provided

Stand Up Paddleboard isn't even listed

Man...pretty extended and harsh Acronym Rant for a friendly Forum. I'm in my mid 50s and I didn't recognize what SUP stood for either, but CarDude immediately said, "Oh sorry...." when he was asked, and it's a pretty minor infraction. It's not as if he was ugly about defining it.
Anyway, lots of useful responses about these dadburn new-fangled inventions. Crazy kids. Why can't they just use a canoe? They were good enough for us!

Now, if I can just get these young whippersnappers to stay off my lawn!

Man...pretty extended and harsh Acronym Rant for a friendly Forum. I'm in my mid 50s and I didn't recognize what SUP stood for either, but CarDude immediately said, "Oh sorry...." when he was asked, and it's a pretty minor infraction. It's not as if he was ugly about defining it.
Anyway, lots of useful responses about these dadburn new-fangled inventions. Crazy kids. Why can't they just use a canoe? They were good enough for us!

Now, if I can just get these young whippersnappers to stay off my lawn!

Wifey B: Well, he just thought things were FUBAR, when I was just ROFLMAO. At worse it was SNAFU. Those dirty antonyms sure didn't come from my generation. It's all FBM. I know your generation use to say HTB all the time. Or you Star Wars people were always saying MTFBWU. Well, with me it's WYSIWYG. It's the SSDD so you must have a SOH. TAFN. :rofl:

WB,
Are all those acronyms real or did you just throw up some letters? WB you seem to be on top of this .. I just used an abbreviation (TF) and am wondering what the difference is between an acronym and an abbreviation?

Dreamer,
If you were refering to me I wasn't ticked at anybody at all. It's just those pesky acronyms ... just an annoyance. It seems an odd place for them on TF.

WB,
Are all those acronyms real or did you just throw up some letters? WB you seem to be on top of this .. I just used an abbreviation (TF) and am wondering what the difference is between an acronym and an abbreviation?

Dreamer,
If you were refering to me I wasn't ticked at anybody at all. It's just those pesky acronyms ... just an annoyance. It seems an odd place for them on TF.

Wifey B: Yes, TF is an acronym. And you use it. :lol: All those I used are real. Some from your generation, some more recent. Now it's a rather weak, more abbreviation than acronym as it doesn't make a pronounceable word. But because we often say TF just as it is, then it would technically qualify. It's also an abbreviation.

Abbreviations wouldn't normally be pronounced and used in that way. They also typically come from the letters of the one word, where as antonyms are generally made up of first letters from multiple words. :)

Last edited:
I have always thought of them as "Stand Up Boredom"

I have convinced myself over many years that acronyms are done in may cases to add exclusivity especially in certain areas like doctors, lawyers, engineers, military and others.

Just my SSO.

Wifey B: Well, he just thought things were FUBAR, when I was just ROFLMAO. At worse it was SNAFU. Those dirty antonyms sure didn't come from my generation. It's all FBM. I know your generation use to say HTB all the time. Or you Star Wars people were always saying MTFBWU. Well, with me it's WYSIWYG. It's the SSDD so you must have a SOH. TAFN. :rofl:
I truly must be old as I could only keep up with the first three.

I truly must be old as I could only keep up with the first three.

Wifey B: Fine by me.

Heavens to Betsy.

May the Force Be With You.

What you see is what you get.

Same sh...stuff different day

Sense of humor.

That's All For Now.

:D

Great, do you really expect us to remember that for more than a day? ��

Last weekend (June 11) a race to Alaska from Victoria BC (British Columbia) started. Early Monday morning the first few entrants went by my home. I was made aware of this by an email from my son, and soon began watching some of them (2017 Race to Alaska - Stage 2: Long Haul North). I was particularly impressed by the first one I saw go by, as it was a SUP called "Heart of Gold". Check out the tracker today, and you will find this SUP still paddling well, near Bella Bella, so about 1/2 way to AK. Gives the SUPs some legitimacy.

I have convinced myself over many years that acronyms are done in may cases to add exclusivity especially in certain areas like doctors, lawyers, engineers, military and others.

Just my SSO.

Yes I agree.
Using them announces you're part of a group. This could be a group of garbage collectors. But far more likely it identifies one w a group that many would aspire to belong to. People wanting to be seen as active part of a sports group would use all the sports related acronyms they could learn. Newbies here on TF are probably inclined to make their language here as salty as possible to identify as part of this group. Quite common I think. Of course one can easily overdo it and expose ignorance.
Also acronyms exclude as well as include. All in the same stroke. Teenagers use acronyms heavily to become invisable, like their all using acronyms to the extent that they can say outragiously vulgar things at thanksgiving dinner. So the adults get excluded from the conversation. Can be powerful stuff. But I don't see acronyms moving the UN to make war or peace .... "anytime soon".

Eric

I wouldn't go that far, how many different names has ISIS had by various countries over the past ten years. A political group will drop a letter or add a letter to favor their beliefs. LOL

Back
Top Bottom