Old 05-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Good Fuel Price on the Upper Chesapeake But

Took on 235 gallons of fuel at the Rhode River Marina (Galesville, MD) on 5/16/2020 and asked for a pump out. I noticed later that I was charged $15 for the pump out. I suppose I should not have assumed that the pump out was free. It was not and I was not informed that there would be a charge. I have never encountered a charge anywhere on the East Coast when taking on fuel. The price of the fuel was the cheapest in the area. I e-mailed the marina complaining about the charge. I received a phone call from the owner who was indignant that I had even complained. He was downright nasty. Despite the good price I will never take on fuel there again even though it is very close to my home marina.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
As mentioned in other threads what if anything a marina can charge for a pump out depends on whether they took investment money from the government for the initial system.

I have been to a few marinas where they purposely didn't take the money so that they weren't restricted. Visualize the wind ferry (sailboater) Snowbird who winters on the hook, and expects to be able to get his holding tank pumped and freshwater tank filled with a 3 gallon purchase of diesel. For a while back in 2014 when the municipal marinas pump out was broken, Tarpon Point was charging $40 for a pump out. Free with a 100 gallon purchase or if you were slipped in their marina. The Wind Ferrys were incensed that they should have to pay for a pump out from a business when it was free from a municipal marina.

The infrastructure and employee has a cost to the marina, and they're entitled to recoup it whether in a fee or built into other prices such as fuel. If they're going to charge a fee regardless of fuel purchase, there should be a sign on the pump just as there is for the fuel pump.

I would be annoyed also!

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
My home marina charges $10 for a pumpout (posted on a sign). No discount for slipholders or taking on fuel either. But I've never seen the pumpout not working and I've got a 70 gallon tank that doesn't need emptying all that quickly, so no big deal.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Took on 235 gallons of fuel at the Rhode River Marina (Galesville, MD) on 5/16/2020 and asked for a pump out. I noticed later that I was charged $15 for the pump out. I suppose I should not have assumed that the pump out was free. It was not and I was not informed that there would be a charge. I have never encountered a charge anywhere on the East Coast when taking on fuel.

I can probably count on one hand the marinas around here who don't charge for a pump-out. No matter whether taking on fuel or not. And that's if I can eventually remember any at all....

As you know, the "subsidized" pump-outs are limited to $5, but there are apparently many that were built with no State subsidy... so they charge what they have to charge.

Our place (Anchor) now charges $14 I think; It used to be lower, maybe $9-10 but their pump-out-truck guy raised his prices something like 300% (heard second-hand) four or five years ago so Anchor had to raise prices they charge us just to be able to cope.

I dunno, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn Rhode River's pump-out wasn't subsidized, and it's on a system they have to in turn have pumped out too. Not like there's many city services down on the Mayo peninsula (as you also know)...

-Chris
Old 05-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #5

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Jack, I was where you are now two years ago. Seemed to me after spending the night and paying for dockage, I could have gotten a free pump out. Also the WiFi was down but as they said, “there’s nothing we can do about it.” Well actually there was, they could have not charged me for the pump out.

But now after 3 years of the ICW I have a different perspective. It’s a business. Each marina has a different business model. You can’t have a primo location (think Nantucket), cheap fuel (New River Marina in North Carolina), cheap dockage (16$ flat rate at RE Mayo), a goodie bag (Osprey Marina), nice floating docks in great condition, free electricity, free laundry(River Manor), and a free pump out.

Some places are charging 3.20$ for a gal. of fuel, some are charging 1.60$. There is a place on Adams Creek, NC that charges 35$ for a pump out. This is across from Oriental where the pump out is free. (If you can get access to the dock and can figure out the jury rigged system)

I figure part of my obligation as someone who is lucky enough to have a boat is to spend enough money so as to support the shoreside business network that makes my lifestyle possible.

If you go to a therapist to unload all your sh*t, it would cost 100$. You spent 15$. Call it a good day.

John
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
You guys on the east coast are used to paying for a pump out. On the left coast I don't recall ever seeing anything but free pumpouts.

Beautiful scenery, good weather, nice places to cruise. Can't beat the PNW. Just sayin'.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #7

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
You guys on the east coast are used to paying for a pump out. On the left coast I don't recall ever seeing anything but free pumpouts.

Beautiful scenery, good weather, nice places to cruise. Can't beat the PNW. Just sayin'.
+1

...and I love the comment "you could pay a therapist $100's of dollars to take your sh*t, $15 is a bargain!!!"
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Guru

My winter storage marina just installed a new pumpout system. They are not subsidized.
They charge $50 if they pump you out just prior to winter storage.
If you operate the hose yourself, it's no charge.
Guess what I did?

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
My marina does the same with an extra charge if they have to pump you at haulout. Makes sense, as it slows the hauling process down slightly.

Growing up on the Western end of Long Island Sound (CT side), I was used to free pumpouts. Most around there are either free for slipholders, or run by a non-profit, etc.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #10

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
not to start WWIII, but....

PNW really? How's that solar working for you in November?

Yeah yeah rain shadow of the Olympics.. Stops the rain but not the clouds.

Nice covered storage in Lake Union, guess you all need it.

lol

former Seattle boy, John
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

Given a choice between free pump outs and not being financially raped on state taxes, I'm ok with paying for a pump out every now and then.

Ted
Old 05-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #12

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Yes, I agree that paying a small fee for the pump out is not going to break anyone here, but as the OP said it was more of the surprise of seeing that charge on your bill with no advanced notice. It seems like some marinas feel that if you have a boat you should just expect to be charged for everything without questioning it.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #13

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32
pump out

Free pump out these days is like getting S&H green stamps at a gas station. Not right, but that the way it is. What really annoys me when I need fuel anyway and being told the pumpout is not working. That really frosts my cake.
ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
It all comes out in the wash.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood Florida.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #15

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Last season we got a pump out on the Miles River in the Chesapeake a river keeper pump out boat. We called for information ,they asked our location and came directly to us. Right spot, right time! Donations accepted for the service. https://www.shorerivers.org/pumpout-boat
David Kimmel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #16
Guru

I guess I'm spoiled, Somers Cove in Crisfield, MD never charges me for a pump out as a slip holder. Don't know if the policy is the same for transients. There a state funded facility, so I'm not sure if that makes them municipal. I'll have to check their specific pump out policy when I get there this weekend.

Ted
Old 05-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
Guru

To be clear, being charged for a pump-out is not a problem for me. What was a problem was not being informed either by signage or verbally that there was a charge. And then to be verbally assaulted by the owner because I dared to complain was bit too much for me. Fifteen dollars is not going to break me but I felt it was kinda shady. What prevented me being billed $100? Nothing. All I was looking for was transparency. No one likes hidden charges. In my conversation with the owner he even objected to the suggestion that there should be signage. Talk about driving away business in the age of prolific social media.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kimmel View Post
Last season we got a pump out on the Miles River in the Chesapeake a river keeper pump out boat. We called for information ,they asked our location and came directly to us. Right spot, right time! Donations accepted for the service. https://www.shorerivers.org/pumpout-boat
That's how it's run in most of the areas I boat in in Long Island Sound, Block Island, Long Island, etc.
Usually a $5 tip is "standard" unless you have a very large boat.
You can even sign up for a weekly pump out at a given day and time, just leave your tip money where they can find it.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Took on 235 gallons of fuel at the Rhode River Marina (Galesville, MD) on 5/16/2020 and asked for a pump out. I noticed later that I was charged $15 for the pump out. I suppose I should not have assumed that the pump out was free. It was not and I was not informed that there would be a charge. I have never encountered a charge anywhere on the East Coast when taking on fuel. The price of the fuel was the cheapest in the area. I e-mailed the marina complaining about the charge. I received a phone call from the owner who was indignant that I had even complained. He was downright nasty. Despite the good price I will never take on fuel there again even though it is very close to my home marina.

He took shit from you twice and all he got was a measly $15

As others have posted it's almost free on the West coast.. but I would gladly pay $15 to have some unlucky person have to deal with it, the time the pump out on our SeaRay blew back in my face ( clogged vent) I would of paid way more not to have had that "fun" experience.

I get that your miffed that it wasn't spelled out prior to the pumping but look at the big picture and shrug it off.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:01 AM   #20
Guru

Took shite twice? I merely complained that I was charged without notice. He was he that was slinging shite on the phone. No merchant should charge a customer for anything without notice. If it had been you and the charge was $100, would you accept the charge without question? Oh, I see, it was only $15, no big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
He took shit from you twice and all he got was a measly $15

As others have posted it's almost free on the West coast.. but I would gladly pay $15 to have some unlucky person have to deal with it, the time the pump out on our SeaRay blew back in my face ( clogged vent) I would of paid way more not to have had that "fun" experience.

I get that your miffed that it wasn't spelled out prior to the pumping but look at the big picture and shrug it off.

HOLLYWOOD