Old 12-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #101
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Now you need a dingy on the swim step so no one can read it
Yup that's my situation. So I have name boards on the forward 1/3 of the hull.
Not sure if that will satisfy the USCG but, .....

Old 12-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #102

City: Houston
Realistically...

I don't intend to test this theory, but I'm pretty sure one could use the craziest multi-colored 'cursive' writing available for the transom name, and use "Pork & Bean, BFE" for the hailing port, and never get a comment from the USCG. Unless you pissed them off and they were just looking for a random reason to write you up. Has anyone been scolded or fined for non-compliant transom info? In 45+ years of boating I've never heard anyone mention it.

CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #103
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
It's registered with the USCG. If I get boarded and get a ticket then I'll change it. I hope I don't have to cuz I think it's legible and it looks great.
Looks great to me, too!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #104
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
It is assumed you are quoting from a regulation of record. It is interesting to have a long held understanding clarified if this is in fact, a federal regulation. It has been my understanding the hailing port had to have an assigned post office.
No big deal, it would seem a correction to my history.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan
Yes, quoting from National Vessel Documentation Center - FAQ
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #105
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
So you put your PO Box number on your transom? CHUCKLE
Old 12-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #106
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
It doesn't ask for street address. Just city and state. However, you could make your PO Box number your name.

The place and state are not there for location purposes, but are there to distinguish you from all the other boats with the same name. Knowing that as the purpose, not saying where you are really from, then the more unusual or off the beaten boating path, would actually meet the objective better. If you choose a common location like Miami, there may be several more boats with the same name and place. However, if you chose Accident, Maryland or Experiment, Georgia or Big Arm, Montana, you'll likely be unique.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #108
Guru

Wifey B: I wonder what would happen if you submitted these. I know the name of the boat can't be lewd but what about the place? These are all legit places.

Some states have more than others. I think PA wins with Intercourse, Blue Ball, Big Beaver, Lickdale, Rough and Ready, and Virginville. NC just has Climax. Love Valley, Lizard Lick, Engelhard, Hookerton, and Forbush. Other faves would be Fingerville and Sugar Tit, SC, Sweet Lips, TN, Honeyville, Utah, Assawoman, VA, Nutterville, WV, Spooner and Spread Eagle, WI, Teton Village, WY (only makes sense if you know French translation), Hooker and Dripping Springs, OK, Effingham, NH, Conception, MO. Michigan seems to like anatomy with Colon and Dick. Idaho is weird with Cream Can Junction and Dickshooter. Many more to choose from.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #109
Guru

Quote:
It doesn't ask for street address. Just city and state. However, you could make your PO Box number your name.

The place and state are not there for location purposes, but are there to distinguish you from all the other boats with the same name. Knowing that as the purpose, not saying where you are really from, then the more unusual or off the beaten boating path, would actually meet the objective better. If you choose a common location like Miami, there may be several more boats with the same name and place. However, if you chose Accident, Maryland or Experiment, Georgia or Big Arm, Montana, you'll likely be unique.
I am pretty sure my boat's name, Kinja, is unique or near so for pleasure boats in this part of the world.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #110
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
I am pretty sure my boat's name, Kinja, is unique or near so for pleasure boats in this part of the world.
You can look here, at least the ones that are documented.

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coa...selByName.html
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #111
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Wifey B: Many more to choose from.
Yes, indeed. You left out Big Bone, Ky (not far from Big Bone Lick State Park).
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
You can look here, at least the ones that are documented.

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coa...selByName.html
It is named after an island in Virgin Islands, I am told.
There is an organization of the same name. Their motto is "understanding through discussion." That seems to give woman hope. Alas, it is, to me false hope. LOL
I have also been told by someone from the islands, it also means Drug Lord.
LOL That one I can do without.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #113
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Wifey B: I wonder what would happen if you submitted these. I know the name of the boat can't be lewd but what about the place? These are all legit places.

Some states have more than others. I think PA wins with Intercourse, Blue Ball, Big Beaver, Lickdale, Rough and Ready, and Virginville. NC just has Climax. Love Valley, Lizard Lick, Engelhard, Hookerton, and Forbush. Other faves would be Fingerville and Sugar Tit, SC, Sweet Lips, TN, Honeyville, Utah, Assawoman, VA, Nutterville, WV, Spooner and Spread Eagle, WI, Teton Village, WY (only makes sense if you know French translation), Hooker and Dripping Springs, OK, Effingham, NH, Conception, MO. Michigan seems to like anatomy with Colon and Dick. Idaho is weird with Cream Can Junction and Dickshooter. Many more to choose from.
B/B, we share different philosophies on many subjects, of that there is no doubt, but from the deepest part of my heart, this post has to be among the best responses on a subject in a long long while, I have not stopped laughing and am going to highlight this and post to many boating friends. Great post, truly
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
B/B, we share different philosophies on many subjects, of that there is no doubt, but from the deepest part of my heart, this post has to be among the best responses on a subject in a long long while, I have not stopped laughing and am going to highlight this and post to many boating friends. Great post, truly
Wifey B: People try to sneak stuff on personalized license plates all the time. It's almost like a game to see if the person approving the name will catch it.

Here are some for you.

Here's 10 Super Sexual Vanity License Plates - CollegeHumor Post

Old 12-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #115
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Iím documented and followed the rules.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B7F53F7-7EB6-4E44-85DA-6EC8B9D13E38.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	71481  
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #116
Guru

Quote:

It is only a matter of time before the goodie two shoes moral police start trying to change the names to something "vanilla"
If it is the state, they better gear up for a battle with the Feds over the documented vessels.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #117
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Wonderful post, Wifey B.

Dan – they’ve been at it for a long time. I was up in Idaho in the late 60s when the USGS unilaterally decided to change the Oregon historic place name “Whorehouse Meadow” to “Naughty Girl Meadow” on maps. In 1972, Oregon kicked this up to the USGS in DC. From the minutes: “The [federal] Board has not received sufficient evidence to warrant a decision, but feels that approval of the name endorsed by the Oregon Board would not be in keeping with its general policy of not approving names which might be considered objectionable by a large segment of the public.”

You need to understand that Harney County, in southeast Oregon, ain’t Portlandia – larger land area than either MA, VT, NH, NJ, CT, DL, or RI. With a population of 7,200 (2015). They fought! It took until 1982 for the USGS Board (after 9 months) to vote “to give official recognition to a name reported to be in established local use.” As far as I know, it’s still Whorehouse Meadow.

On another note, I find that Canadians may have a corner on picturesque place names. My personal favorite: Dildo, Newfoundland. Sitting at the confluence of Dildo Creek with Dildo Arm, east of the Dildo Islands and Spread Eagle Bay.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #118
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
HaHa Dan,
I would submit that the name of the port where the boat is moored is the only acceptable thing under the name of the boat. And if one feels like adding more perhaps the slip # would be the only option.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #119
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
One of the previous owners did this and we haven't seen a need to change it (except the hailing port).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liberty_stern.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	71519  
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #120
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
HaHa Dan,
I would submit that the name of the port where the boat is moored is the only acceptable thing under the name of the boat. And if one feels like adding more perhaps the slip # would be the only option.
Where the boat is moored has nothing to do with the hailing port.