Choosing my Ocean Crossing Home - advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which to Purchase?

• New Nordhavn 51

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • New/Used Kadey-Krogen 52

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BGodlis

Veteran Member
First, I am verbose, my apologies.

New member and first post.
I find myself in the odd position of having LOIs (letter of intent), on both a Kadey-Krogen 52 and a Nordhavn 51 - both new. Used is not off the table either, but my timing is ~ 2 years out, and never know what will be on the used market and at what price - but both KK and N say they are increasing prices significantly for new vessels in the coming years.
My intention is blue water cruising, crossing oceans at times,and I need a solid vessel with CE-A and ABYC standards that will be safe and comfortable for blue water, coastal, great loop, canals of Europe/Canada/US, etc.
The KK52 is hands is down the more robust and more comfortable vessel, but either would work. Both vessels are sub 5' draft and can squeeze under a 19' bridge. Both are twin engine and can sport two generators, with fuel, storage for stores, water/water maker, and other necessities to go the distance. Both are high quality manufacturers with a substantial pedigree and many yachts produced. Features, amenities, electronics, are very similar, and differences can be accommodated in many instances. However, the KK52 is bigger and has more livable/comfort features (love the office), hallway, portugeuse bridge, wing stations, front deck, back deck, boat deck, BBQ, hard top... N51 is sleek and modern (a look I find I really enjoy), larger engines, probably slightly higher hull speed due to hull shape/tuning (maybe .5-1 knot difference at the top end - yet to be verified), is built in Turkey, offering a Turkish delivery option with direct access to the Med, and into Europe. N51 costs $400k less, if similarly spec'd using after sale vendors to add items like stern thruster, more electonics etc. N51 is a production yacht, not a semi custom yacht like the KK52. It's supposed to be better priced as a result, but I find I have a list of add-ons that would have to be installed post delivery.
I have read posts, on this site and others, that call into question KK's bluewater ocean crossing capability, and with direct remarks saying to get a Nordhavn for that use. Leaves me feeling uneasy about a KK52 for my intended purposes.
I'd appreciate a better understanding why Nordhavn is deemed more appropriate for crossing oceans than say a KK52. Also, how their big ocean handling, roll stability, and such would differ.

Anyone familiar with the KK52 and N51 designs, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well. I have limited time now to make a decision. Much Appreciated.

- Brian

“The KK52 is hands down the more robust and comfortable of the two”

I’m keen to see responses to this comment.

I don’t know much about KK’s being from the opposite hemisphere, so interested to find out.

I don’t know much about KK’s being from the opposite hemisphere, so interested to find out.
KK exhibited a KK48 at the Sydney Boat Show,about when TF`s KK42 owner member was mid ocean crossing. Staffed by KK sales execs from USA incl a Director. Very impressive solid boat, lent I think by an Aussie KK owner/TFer I think later sold it. Even sitting at the marina it had a purposeful feel, obviously no indication of seagoing capability but impressive nevertheless.

KK exhibited a KK48 at the Sydney Boat Show,about when TF`s KK42 owner member was mid ocean crossing. Staffed by KK sales execs from USA incl a Director. Very impressive solid boat, lent I think by an Aussie KK owner/TFer I think later sold it. Even sitting at the marina it had a purposeful feel, obviously no indication of seagoing capability but impressive nevertheless.

Interesting Bruce. Do they they have/had an Oz distributor?

Selene have a robust presence on our Eastern seaboard, obviously the QLD dealer is making plenty of sales.

I haven’t been to any of the boat shows for years, might have to get back into being more informed on our local market :)

Both will get the job done. I question either being able to get under a 19 foot bridge. Also, twin engines would probably be an option, most I have seen are a single engine. I have never been to Europe but the boats I see traveling those canals are very narrow. Also never done the Great Loop but hear there is a lot of shallow water so be careful there. Of course none of these things are a issue coastal cruising or crossings oceans.

I'm honestly not sure which I'd pick.

Normally I would pick Nordhavn because I have picked that over a KK in the past. And ever since I have periodically gone on KKs at boat shows, including just a month or so ago, and each visit has reaffirmed my decision.

The "office" is an interesting one too. When we first started looking at Ns and KKs, I too was really draw to the office. But the past couple of times I have been on KKs I have thought "wow, what a huge amount of wasted space". Give me a laundry/pantry/utility room, or another stateroom, or something more useful. It might appeal if you have a 9-5 job and need a place to work, but the view is much nicer from the pilot house or the salon. So I have done a complete 180 on the whole "office" idea.

The reason I remain undecided is only because hull #1 of the N51 isn't out yet, so you are buying something that's only on paper. I would want to see the boat, and let them build the first few to work out the kinks. I would also want to see the build quality, fit and finish, etc. The fit and finish from the Asian Nordhavn yards is superb, and I think a notch above KK. But I don't know about the Turkish yard. The N41 would be an indicator, but I haven't been on one yet.

But all this is really secondary to comparing the layout and other aspects of each boat. It sounds like they are comparable for you, but I just have no idea how they would compare for me.

I can offer one anecdotal observation. I know several people who have moved from KKs to Ns. But I don't know anyone who has moved the other direction.

I agree. My experience is just the opposite.

Things I like
Grp tanks. No issues down the line.
Most favorable AVS and Gz curve.
Redundancy and easy servicing
Displacement, logical storage for supplies, tools, spares and payload
Efficiency
Sea kindliness.
Proven systems.

So in this size range my personal choice would be the N475. You also mentioned canals. Hence would also look at Artnautica, Arksen and LM. Although lwl is greater cost of ownership would be favorable and drafts both air and water less confining.

If anyone has nothing better to do and wants to get a feel for either of these boats...

(KK52)

(N51)

The N51 is a new design with the first one expected to be launched this summer. I am always leary of the first production run of anything. I think this might be enough to sway me to the KK, or the N52 which has been around a bit.

Water draft for the KK with a single is 5.5 feet, 4.5 with twins.
The President of KK said that of the 16 boats sold only 2 had a single. ( and a hydraulic "get home" )

I wonder if your dual goals of Ocean Crossing and Looping aren't limiting your choices too significantly. Since you can't be pursuing both goals at once, maybe it makes sense to get a good loop boat and do the loop; then sell it and get an ocean capable boat. It would give you greater options with fewer limits......for example you could get a semi displacement hull for the loop to allow some greater speeds when desireable, you could get a lighter weight boat since you don't need the robustness as much for the loop so you could save some fuel expense and so on. Plus you wouldn't have to wait the two years for a new build. You could start your dream sooner. I think 2 additional years living your dream would offset any financial loss you might take when you sell the looper boat.

When we did the N vs KK comparison we found the layout of the KK preferable for our uses. I think the of the KK as an "outside" boat (more like our sailboats where the best lounging/relaxing spaces were outside) and the N as an "inside" boat.

I'd strongly suggest getting on both boats to see what feels right for your needs. Understand that is tough to achieve on the N at the moment.

A decade ago we were ready to decide between the newly released KK 52 and a N52. We much preferred the N52 because it was lower priced, had better machinery space, was a proven ocean crosser as evidenced by the N47's success and a much superior fuel storage and delivery system.

In discussions with James Hamilton who'd recently acquired a new N52 and was field testing it under rigorous conditions, we were further convinced the N52 was a better choice for us. Alas, we searched our souls deeply and decided serious blue water cruising wouldn't be workable due to our more relevant pursuits and obligations.

Already Nordhavn has "orders" for 26 N51s. There is a reason. But if I were wanting a vessel in this size range for blue water work to be done in less than two years I'd say neither and get a well tended low hour N52. You'd easily save half a million and have a likely ready to go well proven ocean vessel.

Two more things, why not widen your search for a well tended KK 55 or 58. Either of these would be a superior vessel to the KK 52 IMHO. Secondly, is your romance for blue water work backed up by relevant seafaring and "fix it" experience?

As far as European canals, a different metric is needed. James Hamilton's blog site will fill your heart with joy on how to enjoy Europe as they did it in their N52. Good luck Brian, you're going to have a great time no matter your choice.

BG, I wonder what the cost differences between crossing on your own hull versus trans-oceanic shipping might be?

That would of course bypass an internal drive to actually DO a crossing on your own hull...

But if you're mostly focused on cruising in several separate areas -- more so than the actual crossing itself -- might be worth a look?

FWIW, I'm not crossing the Atlantic (airplanes aside) on anything less than 379' (Star Clipper) and 439' (Royal Clipper) would be even better! :)

-Chris

Follow Up Info

Thank you for all the responses.
The 2 year time frame is my decision. I will retire in two years, so ordering a yacht is OK. Depending on the used market is less ideal as some folks spend 2 years trying to find the right boat. If I wanted a vessel right now, there are KK58 and 52's for sale, and N52s.
I have personally coastal cruised, as crew and as captain, west coast US (Captain),Mexico to Acapulco(crew), one crossing to the Marquesas (crew), south pacific islands(crew) - by Sail (crew), Power (Captain).

I have owned vessels from 24-49' overall, all power, and am pretty handy (2 years of autoshop, built dune buggies, rebuilt engines, half a garage of accumulated tools). However, the newer vessels systems I am not as familiar with, but comfortable that I can learn and perform much of the work myself if needed - though I prefer hiring a professional these days. Just gotta have the right tool, spare parts, and a decent manual.
Crossings are part of the adventure for me. I enjoy the challenge, but hopefully won't be TOO challenged, with is why I am looking at the two best builders, IMO.

MY Nordhavn LOI is on N51-09. That wont complete until Spring of 2024. I figure the 9th hull is far enough out for them to work out the kinks.
I have been on N41-02. Fit/finish wash good, but not great like on my Grand Banks, and not as good as the Taiwan/China built, but still good. They may have improved since then, it was hull #2, and the yard has over 10 N41's built now. Hull #1 of N51 will complete maybe 6 months from now, but it will be hull #2 that comes to the States end of '22 or early '23.

Buying line drawings and renderings is disconcerting. I really would prefer to walk an N51 first, however, Nordhavn is pressuring to sign the contract, for a vessel that won't start production till ~ April of 2023. They really want to lock in the first 10 hulls, and they have many folks who would love to take my LOI. If I swap to a later LOI, then my cruising plans get pushed out up to a year. Which is another dilemma as my plans include my kids, who are college age, and will take time off to spend a year with me traveling the world before continuing on with their lives. My oldest graduates in 2024, so she will take a break before either getting in the job market, or pursuing a Masters. She also plans to get her Captain's license, cause why not?
I literally have to make a decision by tomorrow on the N51-09.

Thanks for all your responses.

Looking forward to the adventure and mild challenge of crossings. All part of the package for me - though the clippers would be pretty sweet. May to add that to the bucket list.

Looking forward to the adventure and mild challenge of crossings. All part of the package for me - though the clippers would be pretty sweet. May to add that to the bucket list.

Fair enough. Challenge and adventure can be good things!

We're closer to the "in moderation" stage of our lives, now, though. It's great having a big honkin' crew to do the sailing, maintenance, cooking, bartending, etc.! And a big honkin' hull under our feet while we snooze. We've been on all three of the Clippers; highly recommend... although of course that's a whole different kind of vacation experience, not at all like running our own boats. :)

-Chris

I’m struggling with how you get the air draft on the N51 with its hardtop and dry exhaust to below 19’? And the water draft.

I like coastal cruisers for coastal and the kk seems more like that. I can understand the appeal of Nordhavn’s too though.

Tough choice.

Wow Brian, what a great background :thumb: You'll do fine no matter your decision.

I’m struggling with how you get the air draft on the N51 with its hardtop and dry exhaust to below 19’? And the water draft.

I like coastal cruisers for coastal and the kk seems more like that. I can understand the appeal of Nordhavn’s too though.

Tough choice.

The N51 I believe is twin engine, wet exhaust. So no stack.

You are well suited to your goals!

I'd stick with N5109. As you get closer if something radical changes, you will be able to sell the 51 in about 2 seconds. I think you are right that by #9 things should be sorted.

I’m bias towards kk since I have KK52-01. This is one of two KK52 with a single which wasn’t a concern to me since I have no desire to cross oceans. With the single it makes servicing all sides of the engine so much easier. iMHO prop/rudder are better protected in the single than the twin. Kk lists the single KK52 depth at 5’5” but I’ve measured my at 6’ fully loaded.

First, I am verbose, my apologies.

New member and first post.
I find myself in the odd position of having LOIs (letter of intent), on both a Kadey-Krogen 52 and a Nordhavn 51 - both new. Used is not off the table either, but my timing is ~ 2 years out, and never know what will be on the used market and at what price - but both KK and N say they are increasing prices significantly for new vessels in the coming years.
My intention is blue water cruising, crossing oceans at times,and I need a solid vessel with CE-A and ABYC standards that will be safe and comfortable for blue water, coastal, great loop, canals of Europe/Canada/US, etc.
The KK52 is hands is down the more robust and more comfortable vessel, but either would work. Both vessels are sub 5' draft and can squeeze under a 19' bridge. Both are twin engine and can sport two generators, with fuel, storage for stores, water/water maker, and other necessities to go the distance. Both are high quality manufacturers with a substantial pedigree and many yachts produced. Features, amenities, electronics, are very similar, and differences can be accommodated in many instances. However, the KK52 is bigger and has more livable/comfort features (love the office), hallway, portugeuse bridge, wing stations, front deck, back deck, boat deck, BBQ, hard top... N51 is sleek and modern (a look I find I really enjoy), larger engines, probably slightly higher hull speed due to hull shape/tuning (maybe .5-1 knot difference at the top end - yet to be verified), is built in Turkey, offering a Turkish delivery option with direct access to the Med, and into Europe. N51 costs $400k less, if similarly spec'd using after sale vendors to add items like stern thruster, more electonics etc. N51 is a production yacht, not a semi custom yacht like the KK52. It's supposed to be better priced as a result, but I find I have a list of add-ons that would have to be installed post delivery.
I have read posts, on this site and others, that call into question KK's bluewater ocean crossing capability, and with direct remarks saying to get a Nordhavn for that use. Leaves me feeling uneasy about a KK52 for my intended purposes.
I'd appreciate a better understanding why Nordhavn is deemed more appropriate for crossing oceans than say a KK52. Also, how their big ocean handling, roll stability, and such would differ.

Anyone familiar with the KK52 and N51 designs, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well. I have limited time now to make a decision. Much Appreciated.

- Brian

As a K 52 owner, I am quite happy w the boat. Nothing negative to say about any N. Fine boats. Looked at a lot of N’s before choosing this Krogen, which we had built. A few clarifications however, to other commenters:
Many Krogens have crossed oceans. A K58 led a good portion of the Nordhavn Atlantic crossing event a few years back.
My boat has a mast, which drops, to get me under 15’. Fully loaded we draw just under 5’ with twins. We cruise the Bahamas so this helps.
As you say, it is a semi- custom boat. If you don’t like the office, make it a third stateroom. Or a workshop. Your choice. Laying out a semi custom boat is a lot of fun. Especially the nav equipment. We started out years ago, before GPS, or fancy chart plotters. Probably overdid the displays and systems on our boat, but I love them.
Should you go the K52 route, the full hydraulics package comes with bow and stern thrusters. No, you do not need a stern thruster, but you will love it. And hydraulic thrusters are great. Engage both as long as you like/ need.
We live aboard full time, going on six years now. The 52 has a very livable layout. A few steps up to the PH, a few steps down to the sleeping quarters.
KKY has been great to deal with over the years. Honest, candid and fair.
KKY made a video of our boat last year. Available on YouTube I assume. Privateer.
Feel free to PM me.

As a K 52 owner, I am quite happy w the boat. Nothing negative to say about any N. Fine boats. Looked at a lot of N’s before choosing this Krogen, which we had built. A few clarifications however, to other commenters:
Many Krogens have crossed oceans. A K58 led a good portion of the Nordhavn Atlantic crossing event a few years back.
My boat has a mast, which drops, to get me under 15’. Fully loaded we draw just under 5’ with twins. We cruise the Bahamas so this helps.
As you say, it is a semi- custom boat. If you don’t like the office, make it a third stateroom. Or a workshop. Your choice. Laying out a semi custom boat is a lot of fun. Especially the nav equipment. We started out years ago, before GPS, or fancy chart plotters. Probably overdid the displays and systems on our boat, but I love them.
Should you go the K52 route, the full hydraulics package comes with bow and stern thrusters. No, you do not need a stern thruster, but you will love it. And hydraulic thrusters are great. Engage both as long as you like/ need.
We live aboard full time, going on six years now. The 52 has a very livable layout. A few steps up to the PH, a few steps down to the sleeping quarters.
KKY has been great to deal with over the years. Honest, candid and fair.
KKY made a video of our boat last year. Available on YouTube I assume. Privateer.
Feel free to PM me.

Nice video and boat!

While mentioned in a previous email, the reference might have gotten overlooked. You would benefit from looking at James Hamilton's blog on Dirona, his N52. Bought it new; took it all over the world, and documented everything on his blog with narration and photographs or videos. See

https://mvdirona.com/

I have read parts of Dirona Blog - very good stuff.
Have looked at an N47 (which is similar to the N52) The N47 had rust on the stainless - everywhere - rails, stanchions, rub rail, lines of rust coming from stainless screws. Probably the owner poorly maintained the boat, but even then it was extreme, and it was marketed at a high price at that time. I had a 20+ year old GB - no rust on stainless, anywhere, ever in the 6 years I owned it. The N52 is made in china, and sometimes their stainless is poor quality. Have heard this issue from multiple sources - so, I am leery of China built - though maybe that issue is resolved? Taiwan is OK though, as I understand it, and Turkey? Also, if you look at the underwater hull shape of the N52 - bulbs sticking out to make space in engine room - not sure if that was just to mount engines lower, or if the goal was marketing, 'stand up headroom in the engine room.' Inefficient design choice. Otherwise the N52 would be fine, and I could be happy with it, but there are other boats that are not China build and have clean lines under water.
2017 N52 is about same price as new N51 - course there is some outfitting to be expected, but about on par. New KK52 compares favorably to a new N52, all around.

but there are other boats that are not China build and have clean lines under water.

You don't want it because it's built in China and the stainless steel rusts. And where do you think the stainless on many other boats including those built in Turkey comes from?

You don't want it because it's built in China and the stainless steel rusts. And where do you think the stainless on many other boats including those built in Turkey comes from?

Going by what I have witnessed, and anecdotes - not only by some boaters, but professional fisherman, tool manufacturers, and other parts suppliers - Chinese made products using Stainless Steel have more tarnishing issues. A friend is a sportfisher captain working a 90' charter, a professional fisherman - he pulls apart the reels for maintenance and the ones produced in China have rust on the stainless. These are high dollar reels mind you.

Might be that the yard sourced the stainless from a less reputable producer, or a vendor was called in to fab the rails and they choose a lower quality SS, or a less reputable vendor for their parts.

Could this happen in Taiwan, or Turkey - yes, but I have specific and anecdotal evidence of it in China.

That, and unless you haven't been following the news, I'd rather as few dollars go to China as possible. Part of my personal ESG.
Buying anything new from China also carries a Tariff. My recommendation to any manufacturer is setup shop elsewhere.

I would be reluctant to judge Chinese Nordhavns ( or anything else for that matter) based on a data sample of 1.

I would be reluctant to judge Chinese Nordhavns ( or anything else for that matter) based on a data sample of 1.

Ok you win. I'll ignore all the other anecdotes regarding this, even those from people I know and trust personally.

That Aside - underwater hull shape on the N52 is a detractor. I don't care to support the Chinese. Manufacturers should find alternate friendly countries. That is purely my ESG on it.

Done discussing this point.

Back
Top Bottom