1977 Grand Banks 42 - $389,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a very nice looking boat.
Maybe its an example of -
Significant other: "Honey, I want you to sell the boat, you have spent way to much time and money on it"
Other: "Yes dear, I will put it up for sale" as he mutters under his breath, "at a price no one will buy it so I can enjoy it myself!" :angel:
Jim

That is a great take on the price point. Defiant compliance.

Beautiful boat. Incredibly maintained. However, the price is way over inflated.

Greetings,
Re: Post #23. Mr. RM. Yep. Engine room/space tells it all. THAT is NOT a $300K+ boat!!!! Shyte and shinola.

Last edited:
Yep, buy it, put in $100k for radios, chartplotters, auto pilot, LEDs, deferred ER maintenance, etc, and you'll have a boat well worth $225k! That's if the layout works for you. It doesn't for me. No GB does. They just seem to have minor variations on a basically, well, BASIC design. Never went beyond that IMHO . . . :nonono: . . . :hide:

Would have zero interest in this boat at any price.

First, it's a butchered boat and converted to a brand new looking old boat without the charm. It's not even a collectors item. For that you'd want it restored like the original.

And the price is not absurd, it's ridiculous.

Obviously not for a real boater.
and obviously not a collectors item
So... what good is it?

Everyone is talking about how it's a 'seller's market' right now, with some boats going for unbelievable prices. It can make some sellers a little cocky, and over-price a boat in hopes of finding the "right buyer" (which means, someone with more money than common sense who wants instant gratification).

When I hear someone tell me their offering is looking for the 'right buyer', I immediately say goodbye.

I don't understand the visceral reactions. This is a simple case of someone wanting someone else to buy the boat, not sell the boat. The owner made the boat his own -- various mods and touches -- just like everyone else does -- just not to everyone's tastes.

I looked at one a decade ago that had a large hole sawed in the salon ceiling for removal of rusted fuel tanks. Might be the same boat. Wonder if the stripped down Lehmans would fit....

Looks a bit like the later Ocean Alexander "trawler" offerings without the wood. OA for me, though.

Last edited:
Some owners price their boat for sale priced based on two principles (both of which are faulty). The first being how much they have invested in the upkeep and remodeling. The second is just a gut feeling of what the boat is worth to them.

Whichever reason this seller has used to determine a price it is overpriced. The sad fact is that I really doubt if he/she will negotiate on the price.

By the way, I love the boat but I agree with all the others on the engine room looks and some of the modifications which are "not my style". Also, to make the boat fully functional a major infusion of cash for electronics will be needed. I wonder what the wiring looks like?

pete

Back
Top Bottom