Wax and Washing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brbdwire

Vessel Name
Casa del Agua
Vessel Make
Californian 38 Sedan
Six months ago I paid over $2,000 to have my gelcoat compounded and waxed. The polisher recommended that I use only wax every six months to maintain the gelcoat since compounding would be too rough on the 40 year old gelcoat. It all sounds good but I’m concerned that washing the boat twice a month would remove the wax after a couple of washes. Am I wasting my time and money ($1,000) to have only the wax applied? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Choices. I was thinking that I use a diluted solution of soap and water in an effort to save the wax. At least prolong the shine. Also, I noticed that this post was only in the “Californian” section. Do you know if it will appear in all new posts? Obviously this post is not specific to Californians. Thanks

I responded to New Posts.
I use Mequires Nano Something, it is bright yellow, smells good. I then towel dry boat. It shines.

A good car or boat soap shouldn't strip wax.

I have my boat waxed every year. Part of the advantage of waxing is that dirt, salt, and other stuff washes off much more easily and with much less soap in your bucket of water.

For me, West Marine's Citrus Boat Soap works very well and doesn't seem to bother the wax. I mix probably less than an ounce to 2 or 3 gallons of water. For stubborn bird poop or hard rubber marks, a soft scrub sponge with a dap of the concentrate does the trick. A quart lasts me 2+ years.

Ted

We wax every winter and since the boat is in the barn for the winter that seems adequate. Do not use Dawn or the like as it can strip off the wax. As said above only use a good car or boat specific soap.

I used to use Collinite cleaner & wax but have since moved to using polymers on the boat. There are polymers supposedly made for gelcoat but not sure if they are any different than auto polymers (Gel Coat Labs ) https://www.performanceautofinishes.com/Gel_Coat_Labs_Surface_Sealant_p/gcl-msp16.htm
Polymers much easier on & off than waxes. I used NuFinish for years on everything and was very satisfied

I have switched from polymers to DIY ceramic coatings on car &:motorhome (painted surfaces) and feel the durability & performance is much better than polymers and even easier to apply once you have the surface conditioning done. Meguires spray on ceramic has done very well for me but everyone has their favorite which tells me there are many good ones out there.

No matter what you younasca top layer to protect the shine comes from the surface prep which varies depending on condition of surface and how long its been since seeing good TLC.

NOTE:If the OP would like I can move this to the General / Other Maint Section and leave a redirect note here. Brbdwire... Just let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks Don and others. I’m an old school Carnuba guy so maybe it’s time I get with the program and try something different, and most likely, better. The old girl (‘83 Californian 38 Sedan) still looks sharp. Hoping to keep her that way.

I have been using Shurhold products. Their polish and boat wash. I figure that their boat wash won’t hurt their polish.

NO Wax

No wax. You should be using a polymer sealer that molecularly bonds to the gel coat or paint. It will last 2-3 times longer than wax and that is why the guys don't use it. Wax begins to evaporate at 95 degrees.
I have used product called Battleshield for years. Great UV protection also.
This is not a ceramic which is also bad.

I just finished compounding our 42 with a wax free 3M product, followed by citrus boat wash and then alcohol wipe. New sealer/polish is 303 graphene.

Lot of work, but I too was concerned with ever having to compound this "05 boat again from both a depth of gelcoat and my age (75). If I believe 303 I such be good even in saltwater with a once per year quick touch up coat and regular mild boat soap wash.

I use any of the many washes that have traditional or ceramic wax in them. It seems to maintain a shine and water beading indefinitely in my case. I paid once for a thorough polish and wax and maintain it as above. I always have spray on ceramic wax. I spray hard use areas or any area that looks like it needs it, spray on and wipe off. It’s really easy. As a side note I have been using a spray on non skid was that works great. Not slippery and makes it very easy to clean. I have a 36 year old Roughwater and although far from perfect it looks pretty acceptable.

Attachments

• 0C6C52E2-779D-49B4-955B-4B6ADDA7AF15.jpg
    0C6C52E2-779D-49B4-955B-4B6ADDA7AF15.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 5A91882C-0A34-4C2C-BCED-B983A1BF8245.jpeg
    5A91882C-0A34-4C2C-BCED-B983A1BF8245.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 8
I just finished compounding our 42 with a wax free 3M product, followed by citrus boat wash and then alcohol wipe. New sealer/polish is 303 graphene.

Lot of work, but I too was concerned with ever having to compound this "05 boat again from both a depth of gelcoat and my age (75). If I believe 303 I such be good even in saltwater with a once per year quick touch up coat and regular mild boat soap wash.

I'd be interested in your experience 303 Graphene candvdurability on gel coat. When I did a head to head comparison ( port side vs stbd side) 303 vs Gel Coat Labs polymer the polymers was obviously superior.
303 graphene worked well for me on automotive type paint but not on gel coat.

I havent waxed in 5 years. I went to PoliGlow

Yep, I did the exact same thing.

The boat looked PERFECT!

The next year I applied it again. Perfect!

After about 5 years of applications the poliglow started turning brown.

This is a known issue, and poliglow acknowledges that the product will need to be removed at some point and the process started again.

It's a big boat, lots of time to remove the product, so I decided to go with a traditional boat wax by 3M

Back
Top Bottom