Trawler Forum App

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captcarp

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy/Europa 36
Hi all. Just updated Trawler Forum App and it no longer works. Had to go to URL. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Captcarp

Same here. CF too. I tried uninstall and reinstall. No dice. Too bad.

Posted on Cruisers Forum 9/27

In the coming days forum access via the mobile app will be discontinued and we wanted to make you aware of some other options so that your surfing won't be interrupted.

Our forums software already has a mobile view with this same functionality. Use a browser to access the forum instead of the app. Transitioning to this view on smaller screens is straightforward and we'll add convenient links at the top of the page to help you navigate to the mobile-friendly view. You will find those links right at the top of the list of forums as you log in. Click the desired link to toggle the view.

In the coming months, we'll be moving to new software (exciting details soon) so this current change is a temporary one. Deprecating the mobile app has been a difficult choice but we are taking this step in an abundance of caution as security concerns for this aging platform increase. We take member privacy seriously and believe that the inconvenience caused by this change is outweighed by broader privacy issues. Thanks for understanding.

Biggest issue with using a browser to view TF vs the App is that when I go to a topic, it returns to the first post vs the last post I visited. I then have to scroll through pages and figure out where I left off. Definitely discourages reading of longer threads. But maybe that's a good thing.

Sure seems counter to the way the world is moving. I thought there was an App for everything. "Was" being the operative word for TF (and CF, which I haven't read since it went dark on App).

Peter.

Biggest issue with using a browser to view TF vs the App is that when I go to a topic, it returns to the first post vs the last post I visited. I then have to scroll through pages and figure out where I left off. Definitely discourages reading of longer threads. But maybe that's a good thing.

Sure seems counter to the way the world is moving. I thought there was an App for everything. "Was" being the operative word for TF (and CF, which I haven't read since it went dark on App).

Peter.

Click the little arrow button to the right of the topic. That takes you to the most recent post. Took me a while to figure that out.

It's take a bit of getting used to using a browser on my phone vs the App but it seems fine after some adaptation time.

Thanks

Thanks to all. I figured some change was in the making so moved to TF web address to my favorites. I can live with it but it’s just different.

Cheers

Click the little arrow button to the right of the topic. That takes you to the most recent post. Took me a while to figure that out.

It's take a bit of getting used to using a browser on my phone vs the App but it seems fine after some adaptation time.
That little right direction arrow is the size of 1/2 fat finger. :rofl:

Will the app be advancing, or will the web site become more mobile friendly? I took the earlier announcement to say the later. True? False?

Thanks for the tip. Better, but still not like the App that brought me to where I left off vs most recent post by anyone. EDIT - another pitfall is inability to zoom pictures to get a bugs-eye view of a posters problem, at least on my Android.

I wonder what problem is being solved. Privacy? Occurs to me they when BandB went dark, no one was able to find a breadcrumb on their destiny. Cynic in me wonders if ability to sell advertising or Apple's commercial arrangements underpinned the decision. It's a privately organized site so certainly within the Wizard's prerogative, but I am curious. I have to think there whatever measure they use to gauge usage/participation has taken a sizeable whack. I know my viewership is way down - I haven't been on CF since the App went dark.

A little notice and transparency is of course optional. But would have been nice.

Peter

Last edited:
As we were told earlier in the thread, the reasoning to drop the app would be that this web platform is aging out and they’re preparing a new one. App integration may come later if possible but I wouldn’t count on it if the mobile optimized version of the website is working fairly well. I don’t use the mobile app, nor do I have notifications on for my phone as I just don’t have the free time.
Whatever changes are coming I would imagine that the whole experience will be changing, hopefully for the better.
I have friends with forum sites similar to this one, and the number of attempted hacks or other malicious activity can be staggering. Staying current with web platforms is crucial for security reasons.

I think due to a wide band of random album photos above what is shown at link hides the desktop and mobile options unless people scroll down on initial login. I was aware of the notice but only recently saw this as I click new posts and thus bypass the option choice.

The phone view is better now and the right arrow does take you to the latest post. Another good thing is the thread does not disappear, rather it is no longer bolded.

I've always done that for TF, both on phone or tablet. Used the browser rather than the app. Although much prefer to use the laptop. I hate apps..!

Hmm. So that's why I'm not here any more.

I guess I'll make a shortcut to the website on my phone.

App was way more functional than this ancient end of life vBulletin 3 software.

Back
Top Bottom