GB bronze seacock parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

Have an older GB with good quality bronze seacocks.
Want to swap out some of the 90 degree elbow tail pieces that accept the hose with straight tail pieces in certain instances.
Unlike the modern Groco bronze tail pieces that are male threaded on one end, mine are a flanged piece that fits inside a female collar or coupling that is then screwed on to the male threads on the top of the seacock.
Cannot seem to find that type anywhere.
Does anyone know a source for such fittings and the proper term/terminology to describe that style?
Thank you

Carl - I think that your only hope is to custom machine a fitting, although you should obviously speak to Groco. It may be possible to machine one out of an off-the-shelf fitting (see photo). A fitting from Groco or Buck Algonquin garrantees that you have good bronze. You should be able to reuse the collar.

Attachments

• Bronze hose fitting.jpg
    Bronze hose fitting.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The "Perfect" and "Brilliant" pronouncements may prove to be a bit premature.

The female threads on a Groco TPC (90º) and TP (straight) fitting are said to be NPSM threads. These fittings were used with Groco's SV Series of Seacocks that I don't believe are produced any more.

Do you have any idea what the male threads are on the existing Seacocks?

If they are NPS (now called NPSM) then you may be OK, although a good sealant or O-ring is required as straight threads typically don't seal well.

If they are NPT, you might be able to make it leak proof with sealant, although a NPT to NPSM connection is typically frowned upon by the Surveying Community.

If they are BSPP or BSPT threads, then you are likely out of luck as the threads will not mate.

You really need to find out what the existing threads are before you can proceed with certainty.

Yes. Concur. Am aware of the possible thread compatability issue as I bought a cheap used and damaged one at a marine consignment shop as an experiment and the threads did not match.
But at least now I have a couple of sources for new to begin a conversation.
Or may be able to modify by using new straight tailpiece in my existing threaded collar along with a washer.
Won't know until I measure thread count and/or get my hands on one.
Thank you

I have a similar issue on my 1981 GB with Wilcox-Crittendon (sp?) seacocks where I wish to change a 1” hose fitting to 3/4”. I would be interested to know if you identify the thread on the male end at the output end of the seacock.

I have a similar issue on my 1981 GB with Wilcox-Crittendon (sp?) seacocks where I wish to change a 1” hose fitting to 3/4”. I would be interested to know if you identify the thread on the male end at the output end of the seacock.

The Wilcox-Crittenden seacocks used straight pipe thread tail pieces. These required a gasket to seal them. They actually came with leather gasket. I don’t think there is an easy way to change it from a 1” hose to 3/4”. Those are great seacocks.

Thank you Parks. I suppose I will have to live with it.

Back
Top Bottom