Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   running gasoline/diesel mix in an emergency (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/running-gasoline-diesel-mix-emergency-61851.html)

ofer 01-15-2022 12:30 PM

running gasoline/diesel mix in an emergency
 
What are the options if any on adding gas to diesel to make a few more miles.

any percentage mix that are acceptable and or addling ATF or something like that to the mix.

KnotYet 01-15-2022 12:58 PM

A small percentage of ATF will not impact most diesels. Not true for gasoline, though.
I wouldn't risk it. Modern diesel fuel has less Sulphur than when older engines
were designed so they are already getting less lubrication than before.

Modern gasoline also contains alcohol-like compounds that attract water so not great
for fuel that will be stored in a boat's fuel tanks for years in some cases.

AnsleyS 01-15-2022 01:02 PM

DO NOT, repeat NOT add gasoline to diesel. The risk of explosion and severe damage and/or death is too great. The difficulty in uniform mixing and the vaporization of low chain hydrocarbons in gasoline make it very dangerous on vessels which are not built with gasoline specified equipment.

Spend your time doing something else, anything else.

tiltrider1 01-15-2022 01:16 PM

What a strange question and what constitutes an emergency? If I was running a pair of older Detroit Diesels and my life was in jeopardy I would be pouring everything into the tank.

If I was going to be a mile short of the fuel dock and my emergency was being embarrassed that I ran out of fuel, don’t think I would chance pouring anything into the tank.

jleonard 01-15-2022 01:22 PM

And why would you carry a can full of gas instead of a can full of diesel?
And why would you plan on cutting it so close that you would need a few more miles?
Sounds like Pi$$ poor planning.

C lectric 01-15-2022 01:52 PM

I am NOT suggesting that you do that. However, I knew a fellow who inadvertently put gas into one of his tanks. THis was a P/U truck, pulling a 5th wheel trailer, with an auxiliary tank in the bed.

NO place to get rid of it so the advice was run on the contaminated tank on low load, flat areas where the engine was not working very hard.

He had a switch on the dash to control which tank fed the engine. WHen he could see a hill coming he would flip, EARLY, to the straight diesel tank, and climb the hill. When off the hill he flipped back.
It worked and as he burned it down he added diesel untill the tank was all diesel.
He also kept his speed down. Less speed uses less power.


I am not suggesting though that in a boat it is a good idea. His P/U tanks were totally open to ventilation so no fumes collecting. He had the ability to use the contaminated tank under low load conditions and under high load conditions flip to the straight diesel.

You won't have that. You could fill the bilge unknowingly with fumes. You won't be able to flip tanks, at least not easily or readily, depending upon load.

As you use your diesel and then add gasoline you will be adding to an already low tank which means the % of gas to diesel will be very high.
Not good.

If there is any question about range then you should find and use some means of carrying extra fuel. Jerry jugs, drums, bladders, extra tankage somehow. The extra storage has been done many times.

Alaskan Sea-Duction 01-15-2022 02:04 PM

DON'T DO IT!!! Is the Admiral asking you about your life insurance.

Comodave 01-15-2022 02:57 PM

I would never do it. Just monitor your fuel usage and plan ahead. I have been boating for 55 years and the only time I have run out of fuel was when I was 16 and our family was out for the day. I told my dad that we needed to refuel before we started across Lake St Clair but he “knew” better and didn’t refuel. Halfway across the lake we ran out of gas. Immediately two of the people started throwing up since we were rolling a bit. I never ignored my planning again.

utclmjmper 01-15-2022 03:24 PM

Gasoline definitely does not like 16-17 to 1 compression ratio,, and becomes VERY volatile including total destruction of a diesel engine..>>>Dan

backinblue 01-15-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiltrider1 (Post 1068606)
What a strange question and what constitutes an emergency? If I was running a pair of older Detroit Diesels and my life was in jeopardy I would be pouring everything into the tank.

If I was going to be a mile short of the fuel dock and my emergency was being embarrassed that I ran out of fuel, don’t think I would chance pouring anything into the tank.

I agree, a strange question. Call for a tow if you run out of fuel.

High Wire 01-15-2022 05:11 PM

That’s why you have towing insurance, right? We all make mistakes. Don’t turn it into a disaster.

ofer 01-15-2022 05:25 PM

ok.

I have been boating for 40 years and NEVER run out of fuel or needed a tow.

here it is....

I am traveling far away from any assistance services.

I am 400 miles from my intended destination in rough conditions and I think i have 200 gallons of diesel left. I do a fuel check and realize I sprang a leak and only have 100 gal left in a 200 gal tank. I have an aux tank with 100 gal of gasoline.
If I dump it into my diesel tank what would happen?

Tank will immediately blow up and boat catch on fire due to a chemical reaction?

my non computerized Cat engine seas to function as soon as the new mix is interduced into the cylinders?

Engine may over hit at high RPMs

Lou_tribal 01-15-2022 05:27 PM

I would not mind to mix vegetable oil but would never had the idea of mixing gasoline in a diesel engine.

L

backinblue 01-15-2022 05:28 PM

Why are you carrying 100 gal of gas on a diesel-powered boat?

kthoennes 01-15-2022 05:43 PM

I don't get this thread either. Hard to imagine any likely scenario where this issue would ever come up. How much diesel could I mix with gas before my 454's sputter to a halt? I don't know, it'll never happen.

sunchaser 01-15-2022 05:46 PM

Back
Once into big boats with a strap on or towed sport fishing boat large gasoline storage is quite common. For large yacht charters the water toys burn a lot of gas with several hundred gallons of gas storage not uncommon.

C lectric 01-15-2022 05:55 PM

Any chance you can put in at an intermediate port and refuel, at least partially?

Arrange for a few drums of fuel to be brought to you.

koliver 01-15-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofer (Post 1068675)
ok.

I have been boating for 40 years and NEVER run out of fuel or needed a tow.

here it is....

I am traveling far away from any assistance services.

I am 400 miles from my intended destination in rough conditions and I think i have 200 gallons of diesel left. I do a fuel check and realize I sprang a leak and only have 100 gal left in a 200 gal tank. I have an aux tank with 100 gal of gasoline.
If I dump it into my diesel tank what would happen?

Tank will immediately blow up and boat catch on fire due to a chemical reaction?

my non computerized Cat engine seas to function as soon as the new mix is interduced into the cylinders?

Engine may over hit at high RPMs

Can we assume you are stating a hypothetical situation here?

I once had a client (sued for a related reason), who told me about a fuel delivery to his gas station where a gas/diesel mix occurred by the delivery operator mistakenly putting his hose into the wrong tank. His statement at the time was that something like 10% of one in the other was the tolerable limit.

That would never be part of my backup plan.

ofer 01-15-2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backinblue (Post 1068677)
Why are you carrying 100 gal of gas on a diesel-powered boat?

I have my reasons

ofer 01-15-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kthoennes (Post 1068679)
I don't get this thread either. Hard to imagine any likely scenario where this issue would ever come up. How much diesel could I mix with gas before my 454's sputter to a halt? I don't know, it'll never happen.

Not the same


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012