Wiper Upgrade for GB trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caballero II

Vessel Name
Caballero II
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 36
The original windshield wipers on my 1982 GB 36 are pretty sad - rusted, springs sprung, etc. Has anyone rehabed their GB with more modern wipers? I'm thinking pantograph wipers and maybe updated washing system. I haven't looked into it in detail, and am not sure what kind of access there is to the motor(s?) but was about to have a look. Any details about this project are welcome. Thanks.

I'm not sure about the GB specific details but I re-did the wiper setup on my boat a few years ago. I used the Roca W12 wiper motors and the matching pantograph arms. They've worked great for 4 years so far (and unlike the old motors I replaced they're self parking).

I'm not sure about the GB specific details but I re-did the wiper setup on my boat a few years ago. I used the Roca W12 wiper motors and the matching pantograph arms. They've worked great for 4 years so far (and unlike the old motors I replaced they're self parking).
Slifkin,
I saw the thread initiated by you several years ago, and read it with interest. I appreciate the references to providers, including Clear View, which I hadn't thought of. The post was particularly pointed to GB owners so that I might see what they have done. Thanks very much for the info.

Read my blog, Grandbankschoices, it has a post about rebuilding wipers in a Grand Banks.

Read my blog, Grandbankschoices, it has a post about rebuilding wipers in a Grand Banks.
Thanks, read it. Not much detailed info, so not much help. I'm thinking a "Clear View" for the center helm window, or new set of pantograph wipers for the port and starboard windows. It's a long term problem, and other problems are further up the "to-do" list chain. Summer just started. I'm not sure which solution I prefer yet. We don't get a lot of blinding rain here in SoCal, so I could be accused of "gilding the lily" on my GB 36. But I do think the "Clear Views" are kinda sexy.

With RainX I have no need for the wipers.

The original windshield wipers on my 1982 GB 36 are pretty sad - rusted, springs sprung, etc. Has anyone rehabed their GB with more modern wipers? I'm thinking pantograph wipers and maybe updated washing system. I haven't looked into it in detail, and am not sure what kind of access there is to the motor(s?) but was about to have a look. Any details about this project are welcome. Thanks.
I replaced my original motors and arms on my 71 GB Classic. I used pantograph arms. The motors were sourced thru Fisheries in Seattle. Part #

12V 4A Sealed Marine Wiper Motor - 3" Pivot Shaft, White Case​

SKU: 435758 Item ID: WEX 4A3.12.R80CE I used the 3” shaft to clear the thick window frame. I added a mahogany backing block on the outside. I used pantographic arms part #

14" - 18" SS Pantograph Wiper Arm for 1/2" Brass Shaft - Black, Saddle Blade Attachment​

SKU: 435808 Item ID: WEX 200701DS-PKG also from Fisheries Supply. I’m pleased with outcome. Everything seems to work great. Goofy pic was for the surveyor who said that there were no wipers on his survey. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 95668086-720F-443F-91ED-4C85526404E6.jpeg
    95668086-720F-443F-91ED-4C85526404E6.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 10
I was in the IMTRA booth at the Seattle Boat Show a few years ago and had them demo one of the washer motors on display. It was SOOOO quiet compared to what we have on our boat, which is so loud it's annoying. Why haven't I replaced it yet...? 🤨

Back
Top Bottom