Universal Litton 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
I've only seen 2 examples of this trawler on line for sale> Both were poor examples.
It is a sloping front pilot house sedan trawler with an open large stern deck. she is 36 ft long and built by Universal Litton. Has twin Lyman 120's. Would like more information. Even though i've only seen 2 online something about this boat models lines has caught my eye.

Photos???? or a link to a sales page of the model you are interest in.
Unless we can see the boat OR already know the boat it sort of limits any usefull comments.

You know, that 36 is a nice looking vessel to me, but I prefer the forward raked windshield of the later models vs. the earlier conventional style. For me, Litton went over the edge with the 41’. All the side windows were forward slanted, making the boat look a bit cartoonish to me. Don’t see many Universal Littons around this side, mostly PNW it seems. Here’s the 36’.

Attachments

• 6A786A5E-C3E3-4560-A674-1B8D1A4B96F3.jpeg
    6A786A5E-C3E3-4560-A674-1B8D1A4B96F3.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 268
Here’s the 41’. I’ve said it before....Too Much of a good thing.

Attachments

• 3F23B725-61B1-43B2-B837-C44FD6B94497.jpeg
    3F23B725-61B1-43B2-B837-C44FD6B94497.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 246
And then there was this guy who took too much of a good thing and went with it. Not a photoshopped photo, at least not by me.

Attachments

• 0B4546C2-AAA0-460F-8282-0B252CAEBE2D.jpeg
    0B4546C2-AAA0-460F-8282-0B252CAEBE2D.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 253
I did later go online and look them up. I like the fwd. tilt on the 36. I see it on LOTS of boats here and not all are commercial vessels.

My dad had a 41 with twin FL120s. He was quite fond of that boat, and we cruised quite a bit in the Great Lakes on her.

I wonder where it is now? It was named Pettyfore during our time.

The 9’ Dyer in my avatar came from the Litton!

Last edited:
You know, that 36 is a nice looking vessel to me, but I prefer the forward raked windshield of the later models vs. the earlier conventional style. For me, Litton went over the edge with the 41’. All the side windows were forward slanted, making the boat look a bit cartoonish to me. Don’t see many Universal Littons around this side, mostly PNW it seems. Here’s the 36’.

That's the one! Was having a hard time posting the picture I had found. Thank you.

The 36 looks very attractive vs the latter larger ones.

That is a good looking boat in my opinion. I would imagine that the sloped glass helps to cut down or eliminate the water intrusion that plagues so many trawlers. Hard for the water to pool up up at the bottom if the trim is mounted at a right angle. So much wasted spaced on the dash of the traditional trawler. Harder to clean the glass and all that dash is wasted from the electronics forward. My father in law had a litton that he put a bulbous bow on. Everyone in our family really liked that boat. I saw it up for sale in Northern Michigan a few years back. I wish it would come up again.

Just curious about your thoughts on the "styling" of your Manatee ?

Back
Top Bottom