Trolling Bag for Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phase3

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Phase III
Vessel Make
Mariner 35' Seville
We have a Mariner 35 trawler that we have gradually prepped for fishing. Electric Downrigger etc.
Our last piece of the puzzle is speed!
At best our speed gets down to 3.5 knots. Tide not factored in.
Simplest way to accomplish this is to use a trolling bag I feel. I do not want to spend money on a trolling valve as we are not serious fishing folks.
Has anyone used this method to slow their trawler?
Advice and tips on what product work and size of bag would be greatly appreciated.
Brent

Trawl speed

We have a 3 k min and just add a little more weight on the ball.
select spoons and jigs that handle the speed.
Longer leaders say 10-20’ helps with presentation
That being said , depth is not you friend.
I did drag a sock once, no fun

Where is Millarville, you might want to add that to your profile. Why not get a 9.9 kicker used and slap it onto the big swim platform you have. That is the most popular option as you will save the big expensive engine from wear and tear. If you come up to God's country and look in the marinas that's what you will see - Ladysmith, Mill Bay, Nanaimo, French Creek, Comox, Campbell River, Powell River, Lund et. al.

It depends on what you are fishing for, King salmon like 2 knots and below, although some will still hit at 3 knots. Silvers like 3 knots just fine, my knowledge only extends to those two species of fish trolling. Not saying you won't still catch a few fish, but if you want to be successful you need to hit optimum speeds for each species you are trying to catch.

I am sure you are aware of the entanglement issues with towing anything while you are fishing. You need to remove it from the water before landing your fish or you will lose a lot of fish attempting to land them around the towed device.

I gave up with the idea of dragging something and repitched my prop for a lower trolling speed. Actually, I took too much off.

A car or truck tire is loads of drag , and no big deal if you select the wrong size at first.

Double duty as sea anchor or very robust fender,wrap with canvas.

Last edited:
I made my own out of very heavy canvas stitched around a stainless steel ring. It is cone shaped and open at the small end. It doubles as a sea anchor if needed. The contraption has about five feet of chain attaching it to the line which attaches to the stern of my boat. The chain is needed for the weight to keep the anchor below the surface.

It works pretty well.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom