TF newbie with Perkins diesel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DickyBobs

Vessel Name
Fyna-Lee
Vessel Make
Camano 31
Could someone please point me to a thread that discusses Perkins T6-3544 fuel consumption? Thanks!

Give us some info on the length and weight and number of engines for the boat you are considering and then maybe we can help.

David

Welcome aboard!
What HP Perkins? The turbo 6.354s came in a variety of horsepower ratings over the years. The more data you can give us, the more accurate the response.

Engine Specs

Thank-you for your replies. Here is the info that I have:

1983 Mainship 34' MKIII
Dry Weight: 14,000 lb
Beam: 11'11 ft
Max Draft: 3'6 ft
Engines: 1
• Make: Perkins
• Model: T6.3544M
• Fuel: Diesel
• Engine Power: 250hp
• Type: Inboard
• Propeller Type: 4 Blade, Bronze
• Engine Location: Center

My Newburyport 37 gets between 1.75 and 2 gph at about 7.5 knots. Very little wake at that point. T 6.354. Series 200

Go slow and they'll burn close to 2gph at hull speed(around 7 knots) but that boat is probably capable of 16 knots or more and while on the plane figure slightly better than 1nmpg.

I agree with the others:

2 gph at 7 kts.

About 10 gph at 15 kts

14 gph at wot which should push you to 18+ kts- too fast for that hull.

FWIW that is not the most common engine delivered with that boat. It is usually delivered with a 165 hp mildly turbocharged Perkins.

David

Thank-you. This is very helpful for planning...I also wondered about which engine was most common as I saw other listings with the lower HP engine.

Could someone please point me to a thread that discusses Perkins T6-3544 fuel consumption? Thanks!

Hi, Dickybobs. Welcome to the forum. However, in view of your specific request, I have now moved your thread out of 'Welcome Mat' into 'Power Sytems', so it gets more notice in the section devoted to engines, etc. :)
Pete B

I agree with the others:

2 gph at 7 kts.

About 10 gph at 15 kts

14 gph at wot which should push you to 18+ kts- too fast for that hull.

FWIW that is not the most common engine delivered with that boat. It is usually delivered with a 165 hp mildly turbocharged Perkins.

David

Thank-you. This is very helpful for planning...I also wondered about which engine was most common as I saw other listings with the lower HP engine.

The boat is fine with that amount of HP but you have to be smart with how you use a boat with a full keel on plane. Over 16 or 17 knots you really have to be careful with stability and you'd be mad to run faster than that in anything but calm waters.

That being said there's a few of these boats with 315hp Cummins diesels that will run 20 knots. Also it's worth looking into whether the hull of the Mark III has any modifications to hull for stability(the keel). Unlikely but possible since they were sold with more HP as the sportfish version.

Back
Top Bottom