Strongest boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lets see if you find all those things for a true liveaboard and not just the "basics" of some of those items on SAR vessels.

Good luck....remember these are response vessels, not patrol vessels.

Those things can be fitted on a 19 meter boat.

The problem is that extreme capability is expensive...very expensive and you will probably only need it 5% of the time, despite paying for it 100% of the time. The USCG and SAR boats don't have the option of staying in port. A recreational boater, especially a retired one does...and should!!! It's a big planet. You could just decide not to cruise in the harshest places at the worst times and you could get a vessel that was less expensive, more comfortable, and larger.

I suspect you would willingly go out in Beafort 12 conditions once, and say to yourself: "I've got a great boat, but that sucked!!...I'm never doing that again!"

I know that higher capability has a high price re boats and everything else. That I didn't mention price, means my topic, capability, was the only issue. Its not clear why these boats can't stay in port if the people want to.

I'm going to stop feeding the troll.

V8Z 3K5 postal code is a Starbucks in a shoddier part of Victoria.

Have you ever been to sea, Billy?

David Ess. Is that you?

I guess you don't have any more info on those boats. I discuss boats, not people.

I'm not sure what you mean. Accommodations for the people on board?

It's typical of a Nordhavn, which is not unlike many other pleasure trawlers like Grand Banks, Helmsman, Kady Krogen, Saber - just to name a few. Have you been able to get on some of these boats? The fit and finish is excellent, really nice wood work, galley, and heads, full appliances, etc. Smaller boats will have less space, smaller and fewer major appliances, but all well done and nicely presented. In contrast a fishing or work boat will have many unfinished space, isn't going to have nice wood work, will have utilitarian galley, staterooms, and heads, etc. It's kind of like comparing a dormitory to a nice house. Get on as many boats as you can and you will see what I mean.

For some sure, "nice woodwork" is very important. For us, no.

Any time you would spend responding to this troll should instead be spent looking at his history. I would suggest the threads "Interesting Small Trawlers" or "De-humidifiers"

He knows more than you and will stop at nothing to prove it.

Like others have said: Don't feed the trolls

Why would you enter a thread on a topic you're not interested in? And named calling instead of discussing boats. Talk about.......feeding!

There is no doubt that a Motor Life Boat (which is basically what we're looking at here) are about as stout as they come. The self-righting nature is amazing.

However, these are not normally long range cruisers. These are very high HP (400 - 500HP twins), fast boats that can cruise into the mid 20 mph range, but have a navigable range of only about 200 miles. Even throttling down a high HP engine is not going to get down to the fuel burn to where a Long Range Trawler with high torque, low HP is going to run.

Once upon a time, we were in Scotland and buying stuff at the local RNLI station to support the organization and they had things we wanted. :D

We ended up getting a tour of the "life boat" which was an amazing vessel. It has been awhile, but at cruising speed the boat was burning 100-200 GPH as I remember. They could not go far, 250 NM or so, but they could get there pretty fast. The "pilot house" was out of a space ship with the electronics, seats that keep one in place in heavy seas, along with seat belts.

I don't remember there there being much space above or below decks but they could pack in over 100 survivors if they had too. If they were around 50 survivors the boat would still self right in a capsize. There was one small, tight head, which is what you want on that vessel. The engine room was very nice, large and easy access with two big engines but there was not much space for humans.

Trying to convert that boat class to a long range cruising vessel would be huge undertaking. The power train would have to be replaced and running at under hull speed would likely not be fun with that hull design.

The vessel is an amazing piece of engineering to rescue people in horrible sea states. Not sure it would make a good cruising boat.

The night after our tour of the "lifeboat" it went out on a shout as they say. We were in Campbeltown, Scotland which is on the Mull of Kintyre with Northern Ireland just across the North Channel. Two idiots went out in a 16-20 foot, low free board power boat, to go get alcohol in Northern Ireland. :facepalm::eek: They go into trouble, surprise surprise surprise, and managed to get a call out for a rescue, which I think was done on a cell phone. They easily could have been swept out to sea on an out going tide. The two idiots were very lucky to get rescued.

Campbeltown had two very good distilleries at the time.:rolleyes:

We saw the rescued boat the next morning, and as one of the RNLI crew whom we had met the day before said, he would have felt unsafe in the boat in the sea loch at Campbeltown. The rescued boat was really for small lakes.

The cost of the fuel used by the RNLI boat very likely exceeded the value of the rescued boat. :nonono:

Later,
Dan

Several of the builders I mentioned offer a “barebones vessel”. Capabilities all the same.”fancy woodwork not present. You aren’t speaking to the fundamental issues I and many other posters have raised. Either do or responses will diminish. Would ask have you ever long term cruised?

Dinning area

Wheelhouse

Radio area

One of the cabine with this ensuite toilette and shower

Another cabine also wiht ensuite (like all cabin)

ok ok no watermaker on this one but I think enought room in the engine room to fix one :)

Exactly, has everything , and room for watermaker, and air-fryer.

Several of the builders I mentioned offer a “barebones vessel”. Capabilities all the same.”fancy woodwork not present. You aren’t speaking to the fundamental issues I and many other posters have raised. Either do or responses will diminish. Would ask have you ever long term cruised?

Quite right, I already know they don't have fine woodwork, polished granite countertops, carerra marble in the heads , etc. Thus these are irrelevance to the positive attributes of these boats. If some agent interested in this thread, no problem.

Once upon a time, we were in Scotland and buying stuff at the local RNLI station to support the organization and they had things we wanted. :D

We ended up getting a tour of the "life boat" which was an amazing vessel. It has been awhile, but at cruising speed the boat was burning 100-200 GPH as I remember. They could not go far, 250 NM or so, but they could get there pretty fast. The "pilot house" was out of a space ship with the electronics, seats that keep one in place in heavy seas, along with seat belts.

I don't remember there there being much space above or below decks but they could pack in over 100 survivors if they had too. If they were around 50 survivors the boat would still self right in a capsize. There was one small, tight head, which is what you want on that vessel. The engine room was very nice, large and easy access with two big engines but there was not much space for humans.

Trying to convert that boat class to a long range cruising vessel would be huge undertaking. The power train would have to be replaced and running at under hull speed would likely not be fun with that hull design.

The vessel is an amazing piece of engineering to rescue people in horrible sea states. Not sure it would make a good cruising boat.

The night after our tour of the "lifeboat" it went out on a shout as they say. We were in Campbeltown, Scotland which is on the Mull of Kintyre with Northern Ireland just across the North Channel. Two idiots went out in a 16-20 foot, low free board power boat, to go get alcohol in Northern Ireland. :facepalm::eek: They go into trouble, surprise surprise surprise, and managed to get a call out for a rescue, which I think was done on a cell phone. They easily could have been swept out to sea on an out going tide. The two idiots were very lucky to get rescued.

Campbeltown had two very good distilleries at the time.:rolleyes:

We saw the rescued boat the next morning, and as one of the RNLI crew whom we had met the day before said, he would have felt unsafe in the boat in the sea loch at Campbeltown. The rescued boat was really for small lakes.

The cost of the fuel used by the RNLI boat very likely exceeded the value of the rescued boat. :nonono:

Later,
Dan

Thanks for the anecdote. And we see there are various configurations for these boats. The German ones mentioned already get 1500miles range , as is.

The "fundamental issue" was about capability. Nobody has challenged that these boats aren't sturdy. The objections have mostly on extraneous issues like 'fine woodwork', etc. And some just ad nominums about me.

Last edited:
Converting an old, used commercial boat is a nightmare I'd like to avoid. Reading @dannc's story above reminds me of when I almost pulled the trigger on what would have been a really dumb move.

I was back in my prime, a bit arrogant, making good money, with a new wife who hadn't learned how to put the brakes on me yet :) . Boat was a 95ft ocean tug with a temperamental engine sitting on blocks in the engine room, ready to be removed. My though was to yank it out and replace with an appropriate engine for cruising at 8 knots.

A converted, live aboard ocean tug. What a dream, fantasy, romantic notion... What a dummy!!!

The "fundamental issue" was about capability. Nobody has challenged that these boats aren't sturdy. The objections have mostly on extraneous issues like 'fine woodwork', etc. And some just ad nominees about me.

I challenged they weren't ice breaking or ice capable. They may be in fact dangerous in any icing conditions.

Unless you can provide said info...

Converting an old, used commercial boat is a nightmare I'd like to avoid. Reading @dannc's story above reminds me of when I almost pulled the trigger on what would have been a really dumb move.

I was back in my prime, a bit arrogant, making good money, with a new wife who hadn't learned how to put the brakes on me yet :) . Boat was a 95ft ocean tug with a temperamental engine sitting on blocks in the engine room, ready to be removed. My though was to yank it out and replace with an appropriate engine for cruising at 8 knots.

A converted, live aboard ocean tug. What a dream, fantasy, romantic notion... What a dummy!!!

I'm glad then that I posed a new boat then!!!!! Others posted the used ones.

I challenged they weren't ice breaking or ice capable. They may be in fact dangerous in any icing conditions.

Unless you can provide said info...

I mentioned that we had no plans to winter over in ice. Some other guy posted a boat that was designed to though.

).
Two examples. I bought a one off built for transatlantic single handed racing. I put about 5000 hours into it to convert to a cruiser. Took me years. If I hired the work out at $70-125/hour probably another $100k-200k + in this current world.
A bit more than that
5000 x $70= $350,000
$500,000 @ $100/hr

Here you can see the arrengement

of a German SAR boat not exatly "a bare steel box" :whistling:As I can read ...

https://commercial.apolloduck.com/boat/commercial-vessels-rescue-vessel-for-sale/609838

Also I read "the cost for the refurbishment of an old professional boat " ...depend if you buy an old tug from the sixties ...ok but in my example the patrol and/or the SAR they was perfectly maintained because one day before they stop they was at sea ...
Ok sometime the delay the replacement or rebuilt of engine and some time (who know why !? ) they put news engine 2 or 3 year before the sale (like the C32 on the patrol boat in Antilles

Last edited:
Nice Schilling rudder on that ice breaking tug

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.31.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.31.34 PM.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 20
Yes, another good one! And some think these boats don't have most of the requisite facilities! And....it even has a water maker already!

They don't say in advertising but I think remember the thickness of the hull was 12 mm.
And it is this one who had a leak in one of the fuel tank.

But I could live on one boat like that , only a problem with the consumption, who seem very high at "economical" speed of 7 kts 80lt !!!
Need around (approximately) 350hp to go at only 7 kts !? Something look wrong.

The "fundamental issue" was about capability. Nobody has challenged that these boats aren't sturdy. The objections have mostly on extraneous issues like 'fine woodwork', etc. And some just ad nominums about me.

Nobody is challenging you because nobody disagrees. What people are pointing out is that, despite, their capability in one (and really only one area) there are significant deficiencies in other areas.

With that in mind, the discussion then leads to whether the one benefit you're touting is really reasonable, necessary, worth the cost. or the compromises.

What we have is.....you looking for everyone to agree with you, while debating every other people's opinion who don't.

As usual your posts are contentious and degrade into argument.

People are entitled to their opinions. If you want to keep creating threads asking for opinions, you're going to get them.

If you simply want to lecture people about your opinions and not hear others, I suggest you start a Blog.

Last edited:
We had the same "fisch section" rudder

Nice Schilling rudder on that ice breaking tug

on our Vripack Doggerbank, but may ne not photo of the rudder, may be I will find on another Doggerbank.
First photo our Doggerbank second photo the model of the rudder from another similar Doggerbank for sale buy De Valk

I don't notice a difference under way but for maneuvering , we "little" exaggeration :) it could "push" your stern like if you have a sternthruster ... with "little" exaggeration :)

Attachments

• Arquebusier2.jpg
    Arquebusier2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 18
  • doggersbank-1900-53230_5daec0773e805e.jpg
    doggersbank-1900-53230_5daec0773e805e.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Nobody is challenging you because nobody disagrees. What people are pointing out is that, despite, their capability in one (and really only one area) there are significant deficiencies in other areas.

With that in mind, the discussion then leads to whether the one benefit you're touting is really reasonable, necessary, worth the cost. or the compromises.

What we have is.....you looking for everyone to agree with you, while debating every other people's opinion who don't.

As usual your posts are contentious and degrade into argument.

People are entitled to their opinions. If you want to keep creating threads asking for opinions, you're going to get them.

If you simply want to lecture people about your opinions and not hear others, I suggest you start a Blog.

Im just presenting a boat, the 19 meter one, and I don't mind if others are concerned about the lack of "fine woodwork', etc or if they prefer other less robust boats. Indeed, my ex admiral said she will never go on another boat again without huge picture windows and Tiffany lamps in the salon....and she's getting her wish.......on land forever.

One of my ezlation

Have seen her before
Impressive but a powerful thirst
48 litres at 8 knots
But does have 30,000 litres of tankage.

https://www.mv-astra.com/specs

Grey is the old colour, she's now blue
mv-Astra-Circumnavigation-transom.jpg
bought one of this "fleet tender" around 1996 and began to transform her , unfortunately he died (bone cancer) before finish the job and enjoy his boat :-(
His first project was a 25 m alloy motor sailor...but bankruptcy and the unfinished hull was sold under auction, we know him at this time.
Photo of this (from a lot of !!) stupid thing I do,

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 21
I check

But I could live on one boat like that , only a problem with the consumption, who seem very high at "economical" speed of 7 kts 80lt !!!
Need around (approximately) 350hp to go at only 7 kts !? Something look wrong.[/QUOTE]

With different graph or source :

For example if

22.83 m wl and 100t for 7 kts : 95 hp
19 m wl and 100t for 7 kts :105 hp
18.24 m wl and 60t for 7 kts : 70 hp

Keep the "worst" 105 hp, one engine at low rpm not the best for the optimum said 0.25lt/hp (around 35% above the best) the result 25l per hour at 7 kts, or 3.57 lt per nm.
It is already not good but far less the 80lt per hour at 7 kts
For example motor sailor Tangier was 25/28lt hour at 8.5kts for around 22 m wl and 109 t ..

If someone have one explanation for the 80lt/h at 7 kts it was welcomed because don't understand that .

Anyway if I know she was still for sale AND :
"The Nis Rander will be sold to a very reasonable price due to some drip leakage in one wing tank and into the black water tank. Offers are invited for a quick sale."
we made an offer even if "some drip leakage in one wing tank and into the black water tank"

Enough volume for us inside, ok the look is ...special. But all we need (even more !)
And a good ...tender if your anchorage is in remote place :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom