Old Autopilot motor wiring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvmahal

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mahal
Vessel Make
23m Trawler
Have this old 32v auto pilot motor, it has 6 wires on it. If I connect the white and green the motor spins CW if I reverse the wires still spins CW any idea how I can ket it to spin CCW? Or know the wire connections?

Thanks

Whats-App-Image-2022-10-20-at-11-22-21-AM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-10-20-at-11-22-29-AM.jpg

Might be helpful if you can identify the make of the autopilot.

Ted

the motor has a tag with some hard to read info but this is what I pulled off:

Wood Freeman Pilot
Automatic Pilot
Steering Motor
Model: 420
Serial R 113.5
Volts 32
Met?? Marint Pilot ???
Tacoma Wash 884?6 USA

I had a Wood Freeman autopilot on a boat about 30 years ago.had them do a repair for me. They seem to be gone, but a Google search for Wood Freeman autopilot yeilded this:

https://www.presleysautomotive.com/About-Us/Marine-Autopilots

Maybe they can answer your question. If not, try the search for other possibilities.

Ted

Get in touch with Comnav. They do a great job of matching up new autopilot controls with older drive motors. I had a conversation with someone out there 4 or 5 years ago. He explained the two types of drive motor wiring systems. Of course I have forgotten the specifics. Worth a call or email. https://comnav.com/autopilot/

I'd guess you have 2 sets of windings in it. What does the other pair (Red/Black) of large-gauge stripped wires do when you hook current to them?
I can't imagine wasting too much time on it anyway. If you were thinking of using it for an autopilot drive, it would have to be a heavy duty pilot, since I'm sure that motor draws a lot of current, even at 32v. You could maybe set it up with relays driven from the pilot but it's still not worth a lot of effort.

Thanks all for the info.. I contacted presleysautomotive who recommended the comnav ct2.

However I managed to sort it out. Its apparently a shunt field motor. I had to apply power to the red/black wires. then with the yellow and white was able to reverse the motor. Now I will try to connect it with a new AP computer and see what happens :)

Now I will try to connect it with a new AP computer and see what happens :)

Good luck. Check the current used against the AP computer if you can. It may work fine initially, then quickly fail under heavy going. The AP units typically have pretty strict ratings on pump draw.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

Wood Freeman pilots had dynamic braking and limit switches. I don't remember the wiring, but attached is an old book showing the various models.

Wood Freeman is the most reliable autopilot I ever used.

Attachments

• WoodFreeman_MetalMarinePilot_p0-p12.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom