non skid or polly teak.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg QS

Vessel Name
Quiet Storm
Vessel Make
Nordlund 61
I would like some input on fake teak or non skid.
Right now I have non skid on some areas of the boat. Real teak in cockpit, swim platform and companionways.
The remainder is non skid. I have some crazing in the decks. I know how to fix. And do the non skid.
Any thoughts or real world experience with the fake teak. Not the foam that doesn't last.

I have done PlasDeck on my aft & side decks and love it. Write up can be found on my Bacchus website Projects section.
I had the factory do all Assy & I did the install in an afternoon w help from a couple friends. When I researched my choice was PlasDeck as the factory does thermal Welding of all pcs vs Superglue if DIY. I also liked the solid vs foam mat'l and have lightly sanded a couple scratches to remove them. Depending on color and location (S vs N) they do get hot underfoot but easy to cool down w a bucket or spray of water.
There are a few patterning & installation tips the factory was helpful with... happy to share if you go that way.

A friend did his decks and had a very coarse non- skid pattern... if doing similar I would recommend sanding off some of the high peaks before installing PlasDeck.

I've also used the PlasTeak on interior and love it.

Non-skid is very affordable. So called fake teak restores the look of original teak decks, and feels better underfoot. It is a least as slip resistant as non-skid. We went with Permateek. It is sandable, comes in many colour variations, and is best templated, put together, and Installed by a pro. Though DIY is possible, you might want to weigh in the potential for a misfire. Was running around 100 C$ per square ft. 2022 price. Times 2 to get to installed.

We have had plasDeck for the last 9 years on aft cockpit and swim platform and love it, so much so this year are in process of adding to the flybridge and for deck, our boat is 34 yrs old and non skid is worn and we feel the PlasDeck offers a great look and better non skid feel on your feet. Only down side is can get a tad warm on very hot sunny day if bare foot, we us wet ours down in those cases.

Back
Top Bottom