Non-marine application of 3M 5200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru
This is not a boating question but it is a 3M 5200 question and I know you guys have a lot more experience than I do with this stuff. I want to apply a very small bead of some sealant/adhesive between the leather and the sole of my boots. Is 5200 the way to go? It is supposed to be amazing stuff. Does the collective wisdom think this is a good application ? Suggested alternatives?

These are my 20 year old boots that I neglected and the leather shrunk away from the sole. I tried Gorilla Glue and it expanded more than I liked. I just bought new boots and want to reinforce the seal between the leather and the sole. I'd love to hear from anyone that has succeded or failed at a similar endeavor.

Attachments

• Timbs.jpg
    Timbs.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
5200 gets pretty hard ad doesn't bend. 4200 would be a tad more flexible.

Have you tried Shoe Goop? My sister and I were just discussing it...she swears by it and I have had limited success...maybe because work boots get so much dirt and contamination withing minutes of you separating the sole.

Also regular 5200 takes a week to cure. Fast cure 5200 still takes 24 hours.

Thanks. I don't mind a long curing time. I don't wear them every day and I have some options....I just need something that will stick to leather and poly, will stay flexible and be waterproof. I had never heard of shoe goo..... I think I will start there. Thanks everyone!

These are my 20 year old boots that I neglected and the leather shrunk away from the sole. I tried Gorilla Glue and it expanded more than I liked. I just bought new boots and want to reinforce the seal between the leather and the sole. I'd love to hear from anyone that has succeded or failed at a similar endeavor.

Finding quality boots that fit is a challenge. Once found you hate to make a change. I've been a Scarpa user for 25yrs and these folks help me keep my boot 'fleet' going.

Send 'em a pic and see what they say....

https://www.davepagecobbler.com/index.htm

I've used Sikaflex 291 for a pir of shoes. Been a bout a year now and no more leaks
unless I step into a deep enough puddle

4200 worked on my Dr. Scholls. I take them off by using one foot to wedge off the other. The original glue lasted 2 weeks. 4200 is good after a year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom