New XYZ Anchor Report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter,
You're absolutely correct ... it does try to lever the XYZ up. BUT consider that the cross sectional area of the "contraption" (I call it a horn (haha horns and hoops)) is far less than the R or MS roll bars and still less than the smaller dia hoop on the SARCA. So the pitch up force is less. Also the shape and length of the fluke of the XYZ has extremely high reluctance to being pitched up ... far less so on all the RB anchors. Also notice Peter that the weight of the horn is right over the fluke tip. Ideal for setting and "digging". And that there isn't much else but fluke to the XYZ ... also ideal.
So that's where it is eh? Horns and hoops.

Sorry Eric...can't buy it. If that flat stalk thing does not deflect the fluke upwards on the XYZ, then you can forget the roll bar of those anchors doing it as well, as they positioned in a place much less likely, ie nearer the fluke end, and in the case of the Super Sarca, less surface area as well. Please watch that DVD again, and this time, believe your eyes. Truly...

Peter,
Indeed you could be right there. The horn is higher and if had equal drag would tend to pitch up the fluke as much. That could very well be. So if I try the horn on my Supreme and remove the RB the resulting anchor may have the same tendency to pitch up. BUT it would need to be buried over 12" before any pitch up moment would occur. The shank on the Supreme is much higher than on the XYZ. On the XYZ itself the rode attaches below the horn so the XYZ would be buried that far before ANY upward force was generated.

I think both the RB or the horn will tend to pitch up the fluke but other forces will make it an acceptable negative. Kinda like the horizontal stabilizer on an airplane. It pushes the tail down and of course the tail being connected to the aircraft means the tail is pushing the aircraft down. The tail is more drag also (and more weight) but the benefits are worth it. With a canard airplane the "tail" is in front and provides lift .. the opposite of the aft mounted tail (horizontal stabilizer) that pushes the aircraft down.

How a bout the shank? One could eliminate the shank and just attach the rode to the fluke but no control of the attitude of the fluke would result. So we have shanks. And pads and roll bars and stocks and other stuff to control the fluke. The name of the game may be to minimize the "stuff" so the performance of the whole anchor is maximized.

But yes the RB, hoop and horn all tend to pitch the anchor up when pitching it down is more desirable. I'll bet that's why Rex made his hoop much smaller in diameter than the other RB anchors. The hoop is longer though. But when all things are acting together the anchor goes down most of the time. And the shank on most anchors tends to lift the anchor up but the flukes overpower it enough so that everything comes out right .. usually.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom