Marine Elegance issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
Since the vacuflush group are exchanging maintenance items, I thought we who have ME heads can do the same.

My ME now four years old has lost the slow drop of the seat. I actually have to lower by hand. Short of buying a new seat, any repair solutions? My second 2 year old ME has become the go to head, :D

The beauty of a ME head is that there is so little maintenance that there aren’t that many threads on them as far as maintenance goes. I have put them in 4 boats so far and nave never had to do anything to them, knock on wood…

Since the vacuflush group are exchanging maintenance items, I thought we who have ME heads can do the same.

My ME now four years old has lost the slow drop of the seat. I actually have to lower by hand. Short of buying a new seat, any repair solutions? My second 2 year old ME has become the go to head, :D
Called Raritan and they sent out a new set of soft closing hinges. I believe they may have them listed on their website.

Their support has always been great whenever I had a question.

I had the same problem after 3 yrs. Basically a 1st world problem, so now we lift and lower the seat manually. (Replacing the hinges requires rear access which requires basically unmounting the throne in our case). Ok so I’m lazy

Well I went to purchase the new hinges from Raritan I found that the shipping was twice the item cost approx. I can go to the local hardware and have the seat included, I drew the line, manual it will remain.
Ok, what other problems does the ME have.

I haven’t had the hinge issue, but I would take them any day over random vacuum leaks…

Absent the hinge problem, no issues whatsoever since 2019. We cruise approx 3 mos of the year so good mix of daily use & prolonged disuse. Very happy with em since we replaced the vacuflushes, which worked fine, but we needed the space taken up by 2 vacuum generators, 3Y valves, etc.

My new ME is sitting on the garage floor awaiting my installation.

A hidden issue that slowly creeps up on you: After about four years (liveaboard), I noticed the toilet wasn't filling up to it's original level and the fill pressure was reduced. I re-programmed the fill time length. After awhile, I noticed the same issue. Long story short, after removing the inlet water hose, I noticed a filter inside the fitting for the inlet hose. It's thimble shaped and you won't see it unless you use a mirror to look up inside. The filter had small debris inside that restricted the water flow. After cleaning, the toilet filled normally. The store I bought the ME from was not aware the filter was there. I removed the filter in favor of a remote filter I could see/clean easier. I have a filter in line for water going to my house pump and I have not had this issue with my other two ME toilets. I will add remote filters to them as the problem occurs.

Good tip, I didn’t know about the filter either.

It’s not in the diagram. I believe it would be at the entrance to the solenoid. Marine Sanitation and Supply in Seattle thinks they started adding them to prevent a piece of debris from causing the solenoid/valve to stay open and flood the boat.

screen.jpg

I thought it was #75 as well but the filter I pulled out was all plastic, shaped like a thimble and was inside the pipe. I think it had a tab in the middle so you could pull it out with needle nose.

I had the same symptom on a Tecma and found some sandy particles in a filter in the same location. Problem solvced.

I have a raw water adapter option to install in case of fresh water shortage. Can select fresh or raw. That process will let me look for this screen.

Back
Top Bottom