Let's talk about induction tops and stoves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

So many of our boats have the typical electric oven with burners on top. They work pretty well but how about an induction top?

Now, if one got and induction top, what options are there for the oven, that perhaps could be an electric over combo microwave or air fryer?

Are there combos that have the above, all in one simple package?

Anyone modify/replace their old range, and what did you do?

Once you remove the stove/oven and install an induction stove top, you will have a big hole where the oven lived.
Do you currently have a microwave?
You can buy the holy grail 3 way oven provided you have 4 inches of space on 3 sides. Someone suggested installing a fan behind the unit, to encourage cooling. I don't know if that is the solution to less than the 4 inch requirement. It is not as big as a conventional oven.
Personally, the think a group of engineers were sitting around discussing this problem, "Maybe it needs only 2 inches but to be safe, let's make it 4 inches."
Maybe the the addition of a high volume fan and venting will satisfy this requirement???
Remember, currently you have a oven with a resistance, glowing red, hand and finger burner. You haven't set the boat on fire yet. My Force 10 does not have excessive insulation.

Whatever you put in, I would not consider running on an inverter. Most of us do not have a LOTS of batteries nor the space to put lots of batteries and an really big inverter to supply that amount of power.

Last edited:
Now, if one got and induction top, what options are there for the oven, that perhaps could be an electric over combo microwave or air fryer?

Are there combos that have the above, all in one simple package?

We just replaced the original (recently crapped out) combo microwave/convection oven with a new Panasonic NN-CD87TK... their more recent combo which now also includes air fryer. No experience with it yet; too new.

We had a Sharp R820 combo microwave/convection oven in the previous boat; worked great.

-Chris

Once you remove the stove/oven and install an induction stove top, you will have a big hole where the oven lived.
Do you currently have a microwave?
You can buy the holy grail 3 way oven provided you have 4 inches of space on 3 sides. Someone suggested installing a fan behind the unit, to encourage cooling. I don't know if that is the solution to less than the 4 inch requirement. It is not as big as a conventional oven.
Personally, the think a group of engineers were sitting around discussing this problem, "Maybe it needs only 2 inches but to be safe, let's make it 4 inches."
Maybe the the addition of a high volume fan and venting will satisfy this requirement???
Remember, currently you have a oven with a resistance, glowing red, hand and finger burner. You haven't set the boat on fire yet. My Force 10 does not have excessive insulation.

OldDan,
Yes, have a micro above, and thinking about replacing that, too.

What is the holy grail over of which you speak? I just might find the 4 inches.

We just replaced the original (recently crapped out) combo microwave/convection oven with a new Panasonic NN-CD87TK... their more recent combo which now also includes air fryer. No experience with it yet; too new.

We had a Sharp R820 combo microwave/convection oven in the previous boat; worked great.

-Chris

Let me know how you like that new unit. Other than the $$$$$ Bosch unit I'd really like and a Samsung where I'd have to heavily modify the trim kit, it's one of the few I can fit in the microwave spot on my boat.

OldDan,

Panasonic is a good name. Look at the NN-CD87TK. Make sure you can broil and the temp goes up to around 500F

OldDan,

Panasonic is a good name. Look at the NN-CD87TK. Make sure you can broil and the temp goes up to around 500F

As another example of an induction top installation, there's this. You can skip to 11:45 to focus on the galley changes.

I think I got the model wrong; should be NN-CD87KS.

Let me know how you like that new unit. Other than the $$$$$ Bosch unit I'd really like and a Samsung where I'd have to heavily modify the trim kit, it's one of the few I can fit in the microwave spot on my boat.

I chose this one because it was the closest fit to the original. I had to modify a bit too; not too bad, but would have been easier if I had any woodworking skill and the correct tools.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom