keypower stabilizer install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good yard will not get pissed off if they screwed up. They will just work to fix the problem. The manager of the yard that tracked paint on the carpet just shook his head and said if we can’t clean it up we will recarpet the salon, and they did. No bad feelings, cost of doing business.

I found putting down indoor outdoor carpeting with the upside down, protected the inside and outside walk areas, didn't deteriorate when it got wet, and was cheap enough to discard when the project was done. Also, the pile of the carpet becomes padding, so when a tool or heavy item hits the floor or deck, there aren't any marks or dents.

Ted

I cut cheap 1/8-1/4" paneling up and lay it down with duct tape. Then cardboard from an appliance dealer, also taped down.

I also wrap all corners and entrys. That way they don't ding doors.

It's amazing the damage a drill bit can to teak.

A good yard will not get pissed off if they screwed up. They will just work to fix the problem. The manager of the yard that tracked paint on the carpet just shook his head and said if we can’t clean it up we will recarpet the salon, and they did. No bad feelings, cost of doing business.

And unfortunately, one of the reasons they have to charge $100 - $150/hr for workers they pay $20. Not really an indictment of the workers, even when I do work myself - and I am very careful - stuff happens.

If I have any work done by a yard, I protect all the surfaces that they may touch myself if they didn't at the outset. It both protects the boat, and puts them on notice that you don't expect to tolerate any damage.

gel coat and the start of setting the housings.This was at noon so i would think they are getting ready to start drilling the mounting holes.I would think they will have the housings installed by then end of tomorrow and drop the shafts in Wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_8348.jpg
    IMG_8348.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8349.jpg
    IMG_8349.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8350.jpg
    IMG_8350.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 38
You must be thrilled to see progress. It's looking good.

I assume the thickness build up is also glassed into the surrounding stringers? And is that sleeve what spreads out the load from the stabilizers onto the new, thickened FRP? Or is there another large plate involved? I just haven't seen how the Keypower product goes together and how it mates with the hull.

The frp was glassed into the surrounding stringers and over to the chine. The system should be around 4 inches thick and around 1 1/2 at the chine. The units i have seen installed were cored with wood but i didnt want any wood on the boat which is why the FRP.The glass over teh FRP is 1/2 thick.I added a couple pictures of the housing.The hole in the hull is 6 1/4.

Attachments

• IMG_7790.jpg
    IMG_7790.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7791.jpg
    IMG_7791.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 36
today's progress. They hope to have both sides set today and will drop in actuators tomorrow.They set a thin layer of bedding epoxy to confirm full contact with the flange .

Attachments

• IMG_8360.jpg
    IMG_8360.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8361.jpg
    IMG_8361.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8362.jpg
    IMG_8362.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8363.jpg
    IMG_8363.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 36
Today's visit.Looks like were getting close to the end of the housing and reinforcing installation.They are going to start cleaning up the inside and removal of the plastic. The next step is dropping in the actuators and attaching the fins.

Attachments

• IMG_8366.jpg
    IMG_8366.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8367.jpg
    IMG_8367.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8368.jpg
    IMG_8368.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8369.jpg
    IMG_8369.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 40
Nice that you are reaching the end of the road, hope it all finishes up well.

They got the actuators installed today.

Attachments

• IMG_8387.jpg
    IMG_8387.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8388.jpg
    IMG_8388.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 51
One setback today was the factory installed ring that goes around the shaft was loose. The yard tried to tighten but it didn't want to line up correctly. I was told they had made calls to the factory and after messing around they got it to work. This took two or three hours to resolve. I still need to talk to keypower but have to admit i am loosing confidence.

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpg
    IMG_8390.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 50
Just think that if you were not hands on and just came to pick it up after the install you wouldn’t have any idea how much trouble they had during the process.

Your right but we had budgeted 5 to 10k for the reinforcement and actual fin install. We were at 11k at the end of November and still have 2 weeks in December. At this point i dont need them working on reassembling components .There were parts missing from the original order that took a month to get and i just discovered another part that is wrong and will be here the 25th. I want to be honest with this thread for those looking to do this in the future. During my research i didnt find a lot of info which is why i am trying to build this thread. Likely not smart for me since the manufacture is likely watching but i am still going to post the good and the bad. I think they will have this phase done by weeks end so will have a final bill and then i will complete the rest of the install at the slip.The wife wants her boat back and i am getting a lot of heat.I told her two weeks.

Interior mechanical work is completed along with the re-installation of the interference items. Whats left is lifting the fins on the tapered shaft and tightening the bolt and the installation of kelp cutters once the fins are in place.

Attachments

• IMG_8413.jpg
    IMG_8413.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8414.jpg
    IMG_8414.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 45
Fins

Do you have a picture of you fins? From the pictures you posted of the inside, it looks like a quality install.

Thanks

Mike

No fins installed yet. They are not very consistent with there work progress . Job was scheduled for completion the first week of november so i doubled there estimate and set completion the second week of november. We cancelled our December cruises and have christmas boat stuff back in the garage. I think they have one day more of work so i have set the return to water date first week of 2022 but wouldn't bet on it.

Too bad they can’t stay on schedule. Understand what you are dealing with. We are having our primary bathroom remodeled and they can’t keep to their schedule either. Only good thing is that it is just the bathroom and not my boat…

im sorry i brought up the boat yard issues in this thread. My intent was to make an informational thread regarding the install and performance results of digital fins to help others. I need to leave out the performance of others.
Once in the water i will be more focused on the install of each component of the system and what i may have learned.

They got the fins bolted on today.

Attachments

• IMG_8426.jpg
    IMG_8426.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8425.jpg
    IMG_8425.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8424.jpg
    IMG_8424.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8423.jpg
    IMG_8423.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 33
I am hoping this week. They are forecasting a good freeze starting saturday and they cant seem to keep the boat plugged in. I would be more comfortable with it in the slip sitting in water helping keep the temp up.

i got an email from the yard tonight that they got the kelp cutters installed today so they are looking at a Thursday am launch.My photos were at noon today so they must have spent some more time. They also have to clean the resin that was spilled on the deck but they have tomorrow to wrap that and everything else up. I am ready to start the remaining install.

Sounds like you are making progress, that is good.

I'm installing a pair of Niaid 252's with 7 sq ft fins starting January. Delayed from mid-November start date. I'll start a new thread for my install.
Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

I look forward to following along. Who's doing the install? How did you end up selecting Naiad vs others?

Kelp cutters installed.

Attachments

• IMG_8430.jpg
    IMG_8430.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8429.jpg
    IMG_8429.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 35
Those definitely look like they require some caution while painting the bottom!

Got the boat launched today so the hull reinforcement and fin install is complete . This obviously does not include the hydraulics ,cooling and wiring.Boat yard cost to this point was $24,350.00 and included bottom paint,zincs, and prop speed on shafts and prop.
Looks like i lost about a half knot in performance.I am having a problem with the bow thruster running the wrong direction so will need to get that sorted out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom