I hear that FireFly folded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read in the Mobius blog that by all indications FireFly has folded?

Anyone heard more?

Greetings,
Mr. tt. I just didn't have the cards. I got a bum deal.

iu

Anyone heard more?

I had heard that also. Don't know if it was throughout the world or just the USA. I would imagine it was a case of lowering costs for Lithium, increasing costs for lead, too many AGM manufacturers and a shrinking market.

Ted

Firefly was always an outlier. Claimed most of the advantages of lithium, but not all- charging wasn't as fast as lithiums, at half the price. When lithium prices dropped in half, they no longer had a market.

David

My understanding is that the production was moved to a different country than the “first generation” batteries (which is what we have had since 2015) and there were quality control issues with the new manufacturer. The problems were so bad that the National distributor, Bruce Schwab of Ocean Planet Energy, could no longer in good conscience represent the batteries.

It was not because the technology behind carbon foam batteries did not work as advertised. Our Fireflys still perform like they did 7 years ago.

Greetings,
Mr. M. "Our Fireflys still perform like they did 7 years ago." I wish I could say the same...

iu

Greetings,
Mr. M. "Our Fireflys still perform like they did 7 years ago." I wish I could say the same...

iu

RT - I was just watching a full-on movie review of Jane Goodall... yet... still... I like the ear on your chimp best!

My understanding is that the production was moved to a different country than the “first generation” batteries (which is what we have had since 2015) and there were quality control issues with the new manufacturer. The problems were so bad that the National distributor, Bruce Schwab of Ocean Planet Energy, could no longer in good conscience represent the batteries.

It was not because the technology behind carbon foam batteries did not work as advertised. Our Fireflys still perform like they did 7 years ago.

I heard exactly the same thing, I believe production was moved to India, and tech and warranty support evaporated.

I had batteries from both the older original runs which performed flawlessly, and I believe are still in use on that particular boat I owned, and the newer run. The newer run batteries from India did not do as well and I had 1 that had to be replaced on a warranty claim. I've also had a number of customers who have had both versions, with a much higher amount of issues with the newer ones.

I saw Wayne's post about the Firefly issues he's experiencing, and it seems to line up with the other things I'm hearing and seeing. The website being down, some/all dealers no longer selling them, some/all dealers and OPE saying they won't or might not replace if a failure occurs. All of the signs of a company and technology that is on its way out.

I loved carbon foam because of how they didn't get pissed in partial state of charge situations - perfect for sailboats and smaller vessels without generators and limited charging capabilities, among other things. Maybe we will see another vendor or technology come out as a result, or maybe Firefly will rise from the ashes as a phoenix might....

I believe carbon foam was like a trade name incorporated by FireFly. The technology being represented is adding carbon to the lead to mitigate the PSOC problem. The are several mfrs offering lead carbon AGM batteries, including Victron. I recently purchased a set of L16 lead carbon from a local business that has been around a long time (HUB Power). Way cheaper than FireFly (or Victron) and I’m trusting their quality. I’ve not got them fully into production so no real-life experience to share. I’m still happy with the decision to go this way; I just wasn’t quite ready to go Lithium. As it is, my situation is the very definition of drop-in replacement. 6 x L16 in the exact same space, like to the 1/16” dimensionally. Slightly better capacity (420AH vs 415AH that previous Full River’s had) and wayyy better cycle life.

I had a short conversation with Bruce Schwab (the marine distributor of Firefly), as he is working on his boat 100 yards from mine. He confirmed what TT says - early production in the US on a very small line was good (but very limited in quantity) and the move to India was accompanied by so many quality problems that it became untenable to sell.

I don't believe Victron, or any other vendor, is using the same technology. Victron does not claim any special PSOC capability for their VLRA batteries.

Anyone heard more?

Just to emphasize TT's note and avoid any confusion, my post on the Mobius blog was that ".. by all indications", FireFly batteries no longer appear to be available. I have not yet seen any official word from the company itself and so I provided a list of all the "indications" that led me, and others, to this conclusion.

The FireFly International web site seems to be working again however none of the Email addresses provided are working.

As several others have noted, the problem was not with the technology or chemistry but with lack of consistent QC at the factory in India. Like Steve and others these Carbon Foam batteries offered a great option for many of us so it is a real disappointment if they are as it seems, no longer available.

I am still holding out hope that I will be able to find twelve of the L15+ 4V FireFly batteries to replace the ones I have now that have lost most of their capacity and do not respond to the recommended Restoration Charge process. However so far I have not been able to find any dealer or distributor with any in stock.

If anyone here happens to know of a source that can supply me with up to 12 of these FF batteries I would be most appreciative if you would let me know here or via PM.

Thanks,
Wayne

Check with West marine. I do believe I saw 2 in Ft L. Maybe they can check the Warehouse in various states?
Why would you buy something that has quality control problems?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom