Hand winch steel cable replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Good morning.
The 3/16 steel cable on my hand crank winch I use to raise and lower my inflatable dingy is starting to fray and kink from use. I will be replacing it with 1/4” Dynima line. My dingy/motor setup weighed approximately 250lbs.
The Dynima line has a working strength of approximately 8k. What knot should I use to attach the hook I attach to my sling. I’m thinking a bowline or anchor knot.

Dyneema line.

Look online for knots especially designed for the new lines.

They are extraordinarily slippery and old fashion knots may not work.

• Knots can slip especially with high strength lines. Spectra® or Dyneema®type lines require specialized knots or splices to prevent slipping. For covered lines, a double fisherman's knot works well. For uncovered Spectra®or Dyneema® line use a triple fisherman's knot.

Checked with west marine. They will splice an eye on the line.

Look for brummel splice or brummel lock splice in youtube. Not very difficult & it will not slip.

Love that Brummell splice! However, don't you think you'd want at least a couple of more tucks, especially when you want to achieve maximum strength, or has someone actually tested the strength of that splice?

Just the 2 tucks shown in the videos will give u a locked splice that will not pull apart and will give you the full strength of the dyneema or whatever rope u are using. There are a number of sailors that have converted their standing rigging using brummel splices

Back
Top Bottom