Getting weird with my search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Wilbur all day long! But, and it's a big but, a downeast boat typically does not have the livable space of a lot of other brands. This means storage as well as sit down & chill space. It's the reason I own a GB. The Eastbay is a really nice boat and will have a little bit more room than the Wilbur but still won't compare to a more traditional trawler or tug design. I'm thinking in the PNW you'll want good comfortable interior space simply for weather concerns. I'm in the NE so the season is short and we usually want to be outside so less interior is usually OK ... we use the flybridge on our GB36 everyday we're on board 'cause it's big and outdoors - cruising, sitting, drinking, napping, reading, etc.

Personally I'd steer clear of the charter vessel simply because it's got lots of hours and is for sale a long time at a depressed price ... suppose it could be a good deal for a DIYer.

And since you're acting openminded, keep looking!

Ha "acting" openminded as opposed to being open minded? I think I will be steering away from that charter vessel. Too big for me anyway. I really like the GB 32. Any for sale? Woodies... The 36 seems huge to me, but I should be considering them as they come up. And I will noodle further on the downeast interior space. Good observation.

Thanks for commenting!

G

I'm surprised you haven't considered an American Tug 34 (or perhaps you have). Older one is in the same price range as some of those you list, and seems to meet all of your criteria.

I would love an AT. Haven't found any used ones around here that aren't pretty new, and accordingly steeply priced. Please let me know if you hear of one!

Greg,
For me, for use in the PNW, I would avoid the Wilbur. Almost half of the boat is devoted to the cockpit (exterior) area. While this could be a nice feature, it rains enough here even in the summer, that I would put more value on interior space. It is a balance though, as part of the reason most people boat is enjoying the outdoor aspects of it.
Just personal opinion. An NT 42 is much, much bigger boat compared to the 32, and single handing would be a bit more difficult, although Sue on the forum does it.
I know an NT 37 owner who has over 10,000 hours on his Cummins engine, but he has been totally on top of all maintenance. However, a charter boat, located in Alaska (in winter) does complicate things for that boat.
Good luck

Thanks Tom - I see you have an NT 37. The perfect boat for a couple really! I think that 42 is not for me. I will keep contemplating the big outside space on the downeaster models. It never rains around here, what are you talking about?! :socool:

Re: Being all over the board on brand and build quality.

I think you are on the right track (course?)! Many folks do get laser focussed on particular manufacturers and miss otherwise great opportunities on "lesser known" brands.

My first liveaboard was a custom William Garden designed Gulf 40 sailboat. She was completely overbuilt and beautifully finished. But because she wasn't a familiar "name brand", she cost less than half that of a comparably equipped (and often lesser quality build) 40-foot pilothouse sailboat.

After that experience, I was very open to ANY boat, as long as it met my criteria and budget...

Thanks, I'm trying! Keep your eyes open for me!

My old boat has thrusters both ends, I can walk it sideways at the dock in tight places safely. With lines and cushions set up, means I'm not dashing around. Means I don't need doors port/starbd. That keeps your boat choices broader.

Really good reminder. Excellent thing for me to keep in mind. Even though it is expensive to install a thruster, it may be worth it. (Kadee Krogrn manatee for example)

Thanks for commenting!

First, I'm a bit of a speed freak. Interestingly I didn't start out this way but in refit I made decisions that impacted how fast my boat would become without realizing it. My boat pre-refit could go about 12 knots top. When I increased the engine size I was aiming to hit about 18 knots, but instead turned it into a 30 knot cruiser. Yes it burns substantially more fuel.

Most of the areas in Washington State (ocean) and coastal BC have destinations that after a "hop" provide multiple opportunities. These hops are repetitious and the more times I do them the more I want to get it over with and get to the area I want to slow down and cruise.

Also when I am headed to the Broughtons, I either go through "rapids" or I go Johnstone Strait. Averaging 22 knots, I can leave Comox in the morning at 8:00 AM and be at Echo Bay in the Broughtons by 1:00 PM that same day. If I instead go through the rapids I have enough power to cheat a little bit on the currents.

I like to have the choice of fast or slow. My credit card company always votes slow. I like the Eastbay Extended hardtop. The boat has a lot of power. My one whiney comment on boat specs is why don't they list cruising and WOT speed and fuel consumption on both. Seven hundred horsepower should move that boat along briskly.

First the hard top, the one surprise is that there are no solar panels on top of the hard bimini and area. That would be the first change I'd make. The second change would be to add some soft roll down side walls for the cockpit in the assumption you aren't going to be just a fair weather sailor. Its nice to have the cockpit area in the rain.

After writing all of this, I just noticed the back seems to be canvas, if it isn't - great - but if it is that would put a damper on this otherwise great boat. The reason is that I do a lot of out of season cruising and that boat would be colder due to the canvas. However, it might even be worth the money to put a "hard" wall in.

Good points from a "local". Horses for courses as the old saying goes. I like the looks of that one a lot. There is a sister ship on our dock that did a "hard" stern wall. Do you have to tow a fuel barge? How bad is it at 3o Knts?

... I can't tell you how many times a boat on the dock has caught my eye and, sure enough, it is a Duffy or the like.

Never been out on one though!

That's telling. I wouldn't discount taste, and the type is generally very capable. Trust your instincts!

I find that considering disparate types when boat shopping helps me flesh out the use case. And use case also speaks to equipment and accessories. Seems like you've got a good approach if you're patient and persistent.

All nice boats - in one way or another. Don't forget Hatts and Tollys...

Do you have to tow a fuel barge? How bad is it at 3o Knts?

I have a gasser but single engine, the newly designed Mer 6.2 L 350 hp with a Bravo two leg. If I were to go 30 knots and stay there for an hour (this is hard on the engine, so I would go for 30 minutes, then slow down to roughly 22 knots). I would be burning close to $150 hour with gas, note diesel is cheaper. And also note, if you are purchasing fuel up here with American dollars you are getting at least a 20 % discount.

But once the hour was up at 30 knots, then 22 knots, I would be cruising at roughly 7 knots as I would have made it close to the beginning of Desolation Sound. Savary Island is 24 miles away from Comox. And then repeat this for the trip home. I often will do 14 knots as well. I don't mind going slow when surrounded by amazing scenery.

For you it is kind of the same, you have hops from Seattle and those hops get repeated a lot. I don't know if you follow MV Freedom vlog but they are out of Seattle and live full time on their Nordhavn 43 (?). They frequently go to the Hood Canal. Before their Nordhavn they had a substantial Sea Ray and I know they brought it up to the Desolation Sound area which must have been expensive.

Here is a 2016 video of MV Freedom (both boats they have owned have the same name), this one on their Sea Ray.

Toba Inlet is in the northern section of Desolation Sound and generally is ignored by the cruising hoards, its also one of the prettiest as the ocean is glacier fed and can take on that neat turquoise colour you can see in lakes in the Canadian and American Rockies:

They might be a good couple for you to follow, they do a lot of cruising, off season cruising and don't just sit and live at the marina. You can get a lot of cruising ideas from them. Here is one vid in their Norhavn:

So their Nordhavn is trawler like (owners will quickly point out they are not trawlers but 'Passage Makers) and 7/8 knots is their typical cruising speed.

I have edited this in, speed comes at a price and of course I'd love to be paying what diesel trawlers usually pay for a particular cruise. But speed does something else as well, for me both a negative and a positive.

On the negative side, it makes a cruising area smaller. When you set out in a sailboat and head over to the gulf islands through Poirier Pass in the gulf islands from the Royal Vancouver yacht club, its a "big trip." You just assume you will be on the water into the gulf islands from Vancouver for 4 to 6 hours. On a faster boat, this same cruise might take an hour and a half. The speed allows you to take in more territory in the same amount of time a trawler would take three times longer.

So for example, I wanted to burn off some old gas so a buddy and I went out on my boat in November from Comox past Savary Island, through the Copeland Islands, past Lund, past Alice point, headed up the west side of West Redonda, across the top, down through the Waddington channel, back home again through the Copeland Islands, past Savary and on to Comox. The entire trip took roughly 5 hours and a bit. As I told my buddy that same trip on a trawler would have taken 15 hours of cruising and a sailboat even longer. So speed shrinks what seems like a large area to smaller geography.

But on the positive side, if I have a 4 night trip I can leave Comox and be in the Broughtons in 6 hours, muck around for a three nights then head home. This would not be possible in a trawler or sailboat in 4 nights, or it could if you were cruising almost continuously.

I will say once you have speed, you don't want to go back to slow cruising only.

Last edited:
Do you have to tow a fuel barge? How bad is it at 3o Knts?

I have a gasser but single engine, the newly designed Mer 6.2 L 350 hp with a Bravo two leg. If I were to go 30 knots and stay there for an hour (this is hard on the engine, so I would go for 30 minutes, then slow down to roughly 22 knots). I would be burning close to $150 hour with gas, note diesel is cheaper. And also note, if you are purchasing fuel up here with American dollars you are getting at least a 20 % discount.

But once the hour was up at 30 knots, then 22 knots, I would be cruising at roughly 7 knots as I would have made it close to the beginning of Desolation Sound. Savary Island is 24 miles away from Comox. And then repeat this for the trip home. I often will do 14 knots as well. I don't mind going slow when surrounded by amazing scenery.

For you it is kind of the same, you have hops from Seattle and those hops get repeated a lot. I don't know if you follow MV Freedom vlog but they are out of Seattle and live full time on their Nordhavn 43 (?). They frequently go to the Hood Canal. Before their Nordhavn they had a substantial Sea Ray and I know they brought it up to the Desolation Sound area which must have been expensive.

Here is a 2016 video of MV Freedom (both boats they have owned have the same name), this one on their Sea Ray.

Toba Inlet is in the northern section of Desolation Sound and generally is ignored by the cruising hoards, its also one of the prettiest as the ocean is glacier fed and can take on that neat turquoise colour you can see in lakes in the Canadian and American Rockies:

They might be a good couple for you to follow, they do a lot of cruising, off season cruising and don't just sit and live at the marina. You can get a lot of cruising ideas from them. Here is one vid in their Norhavn:

So their Nordhavn is trawler like (owners will quickly point out they are not trawlers but 'Passage Makers) and 7/8 knots is their typical cruising speed.

I have edited this in, speed comes at a price and of course I'd love to be paying what diesel trawlers usually pay for a particular cruise. But speed does something else as well, for me both a negative and a positive.

On the negative side, it makes a cruising area smaller. When you set out in a sailboat and head over to the gulf islands through Poirier Pass in the gulf islands from the Royal Vancouver yacht club, its a "big trip." You just assume you will be on the water into the gulf islands from Vancouver for 4 to 6 hours. On a faster boat, this same cruise might take an hour and a half. The speed allows you to take in more territory in the same amount of time a trawler would take three times longer.

So for example, I wanted to burn off some old gas so a buddy and I went out on my boat in November from Comox past Savary Island, through the Copeland Islands, past Lund, past Alice point, headed up the west side of West Redonda, across the top, down through the Waddington channel, back home again through the Copeland Islands, past Savary and on to Comox. The entire trip took roughly 5 hours and a bit. As I told my buddy that same trip on a trawler would have taken 15 hours of cruising and a sailboat even longer. So speed shrinks what seems like a large area to smaller geography.

But on the positive side, if I have a 4 night trip I can leave Comox and be in the Broughtons in 6 hours, muck around for a three nights then head home. This would not be possible in a trawler or sailboat in 4 nights, or it could if you were cruising almost continuously.

I will say once you have speed, you don't want to go back to slow cruising only.

Spectacular post my friend... Lots to think about and watch. That will keep me busy and off the streets for hours!

You should add this to the list then

Attachments

• 193FFEDD-21CE-4EC4-9CDC-31F1A0EFEE59.jpg
    193FFEDD-21CE-4EC4-9CDC-31F1A0EFEE59.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 59147645-6B10-4046-A51D-D0EBEE97BAC2.jpg
    59147645-6B10-4046-A51D-D0EBEE97BAC2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 20
Regarding single handling the Nordic Tug 42... I did two things to mine that greatly enhanced it as a boat for a single operator:

Added a stern thruster, with wireless remote for both
Added a side door in the cockpit

Oh, and hung a two step fenderstep outside each pilot house door. I’m short ;-)

It’s a perfectly workable boat. If it had a fly bridge and I had to drive from there, it wouldn’t be!

Regarding single handling the Nordic Tug 42... I did two things to mine that greatly enhanced it as a boat for a single operator:

It’s a perfectly workable boat. If it had a fly bridge and I had to drive from there, it wouldn’t be!

Step fenders?

You should add this to the list then

Wow - what a beast! And I mean that as a complement. That is a hell of a lot of boat for what you are asking. I had a look at the listing. (It was a little hard for me to find BTW - could have been me / lack of coffee)

I did actually consider it hard. Not for me...

I don't think you are going to have any trouble selling it at that price though. Good candidate for a family "covid" escape pod!

Good luck with your sale and thanks for commenting. I would never have looked at it because I set my max length WAAAAAAY lower than 48.

G

Thanks Sue - I am moving away from that particular '42. Rumor has it that it is a bit more of a rehab job than I can handle. Not knocking the boat in any way. That is a reflection of MY skills. Probably a steal for the right person who wants to get in fairly cheap and put in some sweat equity. I can do the sweating but it doesn't seem to improve the boat much.

Still trying to look at any 32/34 or 37/39 that seems to make sense. It is just odd that none seem to shake loose in the PNW even though we have more of them here than anywhere else. Shipping them makes it pretty tough $$ wise, but I am looking all over the country now.

Broker is preaching patience. NOt my strongest suit.

Thanks for the single handing tips. I think if I had a 32/34 with both a bow and stern thruster even I could handle it!!

Wow - what a beast! And I mean that as a complement. That is a hell of a lot of boat for what you are asking. I had a look at the listing. (It was a little hard for me to find BTW - could have been me / lack of coffee)

I did actually consider it hard. Not for me...

I don't think you are going to have any trouble selling it at that price though. Good candidate for a family "covid" escape pod!

Good luck with your sale and thanks for commenting. I would never have looked at it because I set my max length WAAAAAAY lower than 48.

G

Its a good looking boat for the $$. But it is not ours. We have a sister to it (Pacemaker and Egg Harbors are almost the same, Eggs usually have bigger engines and pack more fuel, Ours has 8-V92TA and 800 gallons). It should read 15' wide, a funny about Egg Harbor was that Pacemaker always ended up with the newer hull designs before the Eggs did.
Ours has a bow thruster, and really its an easy boat to maneuver. Even without the Thruster I can dock it myself better than our old Egg harbor 33'. This one has way more prop walk, and with a little practice I now know how to use that to my advantage.

Last edited:
Its a good looking boat for the $$. But it is not ours. We have a sister to it (Pacemaker and Egg Harbors are almost the same, Eggs usually have bigger engines and pack more fuel, Ours has 8-V92TA and 800 gallons). It should read 15' wide, a funny about Egg Harbor was that Pacemaker always ended up with the newer hull designs before the Eggs did.
Ours has a bow thruster, and really its an easy boat to maneuver. Even without the Thruster I can dock it myself better than our old Egg harbor 33'. This one has way more prop walk, and with a little practice I now know how to use that to my advantage.

:eek: too big for me!:eek:

Na, I went from a 24’ Sea Ray Weekender single outdrive, to a 33’ Egg Harbor with twins to a 48’.
Really after the first few days the 48’ is easier to maneuver and dock. Everything is slower, wind does affect it, but not as bad as the 24/33.

That's telling. I wouldn't discount taste, and the type is generally very capable. Trust your instincts!

I find that considering disparate types when boat shopping helps me flesh out the use case. And use case also speaks to equipment and accessories. Seems like you've got a good approach if you're patient and persistent.

Ah patience...What is that again? Others on this forum have (rightly) got me pondering all that outdoor space in our climate. Lot's to noodle on for sure! Thanks for posting.

Stick with your first choice?

The price range you're looking in should get you a very nice NT32. The Wilbur is a lovely boat but I predict you'l be cursing your choice if you need to spend any time in the engine room.

I like 1,2 and 3, but the Albin is my favorite but then again I am a trawler guy and like the vintage look. My buddy gave me some good advice when I was boat shopping, he has a CHB 36 and said don't get anything smaller than a 38' if you plan on two or three people going on trips for more than a few days. They are large people and I am not sure about the beam of his boat but am guessing it's 12 something.

Get a duel engine or a single with a thruster and spend time on the water with a captain until your confident docking by yourself. That's what I did, it was well worth the money, I went from a 24cc to a 43 foot trawler.

The price range you're looking in should get you a very nice NT32. The Wilbur is a lovely boat but I predict you'l be cursing your choice if you need to spend any time in the engine room.

I think a well found NT 32/34 that is priced reasonably in my region is definitely still my 1st choice. I just haven't seen them come up very often. Mostly sold by the time I find 'em!

Back
Top Bottom