Gas Range Clearances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmt

Veteran Member
Hey all, i just purchased a Defever 41 that does not have a stove or fridge. I’m looking for a propane stove to replace it. I had been looking at marine models but don’t like the prices. So I have been looking at 20 inch RV and household stoves. I noticed they all have side clearance requirements that are tough because my stove space is right next to the fridge box, see image. Has anyone dealt with this before and come up with a solution? Can I just cover that side of the fridge wall in a non combustible material like stainless or tile and be okay? Or should I stick with a marine stove as they don’t seem to have clearance issues? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 19617B26-8B99-4DD1-9C0A-13E5394F1642.jpg
    19617B26-8B99-4DD1-9C0A-13E5394F1642.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 16
Best would be a marine or other stove which doesn't have the side clearance issue. The greater expense may be better insulation/containment of the heat.

Otherwise stainless over cement board would work. I did that as side/backsplash on our mainship 390. Converted from electric to propane and needed the insulation mainly on one side.

I got the he stainless from a guy who re-covered his home refrigerator. It's expensive to buy and ship sheet stainless.

--kevin

A propane burner is a propane burner. Makes no difference if RV or Marine. Suggest a stainless panel with spaces or washers to stand-off the wall 1/4" or so. Also the RV ranges are not as deep as the Force 10 range.

I thought my oven door was broken but managed to repair it. I was looking at this GE Profile RV range HERE. I'm glad I managed to fix my Princess range, though it' starting to get a bit rusty beneath. I think my next step will be induction cooktop and some sort of combo microwave/convection oven.

Peter

Thanks, Peter & Kevin!

@Peter, I was looking at that GE Profile. Used to be sailor and had terrible experiences with force 10 ovens. I want a useful oven. Leaving between the GE Profile, the RecPro 21 inch Greystone stove, and this Forno household stove. For the household one, it will fit, just have to cut out the bottom cupboards. Leaning towards going the stainless route with one of these stoves.

The Forno looks interesting. The Force 10 is supposedly better, but a lot of money for what may be a mediocre cooker.

Dickenson makes a range but I read several reviews and it has some design flaws. I don't remember exactly what the flaws were, but they steered me away.

I saw a video review of a sail-cruising couple who bought a Dickenson but hated it and had a European yacht cooker shipped. Looks nice but no idea how to get it. Looks like Fisheries Supply carried it for a while.

Marine Galley Product: OceanChef LPG Cooker

Good luck.

Peter

EDIT - here's the review of the Dickenson I mentioned.

Last edited:
Just be aware that a surveyor will flag an RV stove if he knows what he's doing. Marine stoves have thermocouples that shut off the gas if a burner goes out. I haven't seen that on any RV stove.
That said I have an RV unit in my boat, it was about half the cost of the cheapest marine stove. I also have a two channel gas control/alarm with one sensor under the stove and the other in the bilge near the engines. Should be about as safe as the marine version but is not AYBC compliant. Also the RV version won't be stainless steel. Even if the skin panels are, the innards won't be. It will rust out eventually. My last sailboat had a marine alcohol stove that was about 35 years old when I removed it. No rust anywhere.

Oh yeah, I watched that review and turned me off from the Dickinson. Found a used GN Espace but they are asking $2500! Wild to me.

Thanks all, good points all around.

We switched from the original princess electric 3 burner range to the Dickinson Mediterranean and have been quite happy with it. I did watch the video and agree with some of the shortcomings, however the point of only one useable burner isn't really accurate. We have no problem using all 3 burners at once but made sure our pots and pans were compatible. The ignition system is a weak point that they are aware of, I suspect the complexity of the thermocouples required for safety are part of the issue. I'm sure extra pot holders are available so not a huge issue, just extra expense. We are a power boat so don't use them. The quality of the construction, all stainless and substantial insulation is quite good. Support is good, I had an installation question and they answer the phone!

James

I have a force ten gas unit and it’s perfectly adequate.

Back
Top Bottom