FNG, 32' GB restoration project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tylander

Hi All

Tylander here. got myself a 32' Grand Banks 120FL. She's in decent condition, dry hull and runs but of course has much to restore. I'll have questions as I go on with the project. I hope to learn and have fun conversing with you all.

Tylander out

Welcome to TF. Questions are always welcome. The answers...not always...:D:flowers:

Welcome Aboard

Welcome and I'm sure many will be looking forward to seeing pics of your GB32 as you progress through your restoration process. Everyone is super helpful so ask away, but as noted, some answers may need to be taken w/ a grain of salt :D

Welcome aboard the TF, Tylander, and congrats on your new-to-you GB 32. Photos welcome!

We are beginning the same journey. Our new 1983 GB 32 was struck by lightning 8 days after we bought her. Just now beginning repairs (waiting for insurance adjuster) and some cosmetic upgrades. Looking forward to hearing how your restoration is going.

Have you checked out Onne Vanderwal's restoration videos on Youtube?

Mine was also struck by lightning before we bought her.

Insurance did a great job, replaced all electronics AC, water heater, bow thruster, batteries, battery charger, vacuflush, and antennas.

Workmanship was very good, insurance company had their own EE naval engineer manage repairs to cover their ass.

One of reasons I bought the boat.

Please contact Onne Van Der Wal, Newport/Jamestown< Rhode Island. He has finished a complete restoration of a 32. He is also one of the pre-eminent yacht photographers in the world. His restoration has been highlighted in many yachting magazines in the past two years. He has done it right. I know him personally and although I own a GB 36, I am envious of his attention to detail. If you want accurate, well researched, informative and real, not anecdotal information, contact him. He is very easy to find. Go forth.

Welcome Tylander and Sequana from another GB 32.
Ugh! Now I'm worried about lightning!

Lightning follow up

Got lucky. Electronics all working. Blew out the inverter/charger before reaching anything else. Expensive surge protected. Also shore power cord shows some singes.

Varnish vs Oil

I noticed on the video of Onne Vanderwal's restoration that it appears he has not varnished the railings, but used oil or some other substance. Ours are currently varnished, possibly with two-part urathane, and will need some work this year.

Are there any opinions on Varnish vs Oil on a GB 32? We do not feel the need for a shiny surface.

Moderators. You have access to accounts. Tylander posted October 11, 2023, a single post with 15 replies. Not the first time I have seen similar.

I wonder if a new member has settings to notify that there are replies. Last online 10/12/23. Two months? Asking if you can turn on their notification button.

Sequana: This past year I stripped the (recent and failing) varnish from the caprail and handrail of our 32 GB and applied Semco teak sealer. Not shiny in the slightest but easy to apply, won't peel, and prevents graying and weather damage. Does it look yachty and beautiful? No. Will I have to spend 2 weeks every year re-doing it? No! Add a coat or two a year, takes about an hour to do the whole boat.Comes in an assortment of shades and you can mix them. I used a 50:50 mixture of natural and cleartone. Going forward I will recoat with cleartone which is more brown than natural which has an orange hue.
Time spent boating = +++ Time spent doing brightwork = --- ;-)
Good luck!
Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Semco 1.jpg
    Semco 1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Semco 2.jpg
    Semco 2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Semco 3.jpg
    Semco 3.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 9
I have used varnish, but I do love the rails exactly as you have them. Oil is probably easier to maintain and looks exquisite.

We used Semco on our last boat and loved it. No peeling and very quick and easy to apply. Fortunately our current boat doesn’t have any teak at all.

Sequana: This past year I stripped the (recent and failing) varnish from the caprail and handrail of our 32 GB and applied Semco teak sealer. Not shiny in the slightest but easy to apply, won't peel, and prevents graying and weather damage. Does it look yachty and beautiful? No. Will I have to spend 2 weeks every year re-doing it? No! Add a coat or two a year, takes about an hour to do the whole boat.Comes in an assortment of shades and you can mix them. I used a 50:50 mixture of natural and cleartone. Going forward I will recoat with cleartone which is more brown than natural which has an orange hue.
Time spent boating = +++ Time spent doing brightwork = --- ;-)
Good luck!
Regards,
Scott
I like that look better than varnish....especially neglected varnish...

Back
Top Bottom