Congratulating Paulga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just want to offer congratulations to Paulga. He came into boat at ground zero, not just about boating, but also about most everything that goes into owning and maintaining anything, let alone a boat. I think all of us tend to take for granted all the ancillary homeowner, do-it-yourself knowledge that we have accumulated, but none of us is born knowing it. We all have to learn.

I'll admit to being a bit exasperated at times over the questions, but I really have to hand it to Paul for his persistence, desire to learn, desire to do things correctly, and ability to prioritize projects. I'll also say that from the pictures I've seen, you got yourself a really well cared for boat.

So hats off to you, and I hope the steep learning curve doesn't chase you away from boating, or take away from your enjoyment, especially when the weather gets better.

Hi all,

Amen.

When new to boating, I turned to forums to bootstrap. Wow, were they helpful. But also, just wow!

I pity anyone who has to put up with the rest of us as teachers. Like drinking from a parade of fire hoses.

Forum posts are far from textbooks. They aren't organized, synthesized, edited for correctness, or clarity, or consistency.

Hats off to all of the new boaters out there. We all were there. Forums are full of thise being tested and survivors and many who are both

I've been pleasantly surprised by both the number of members offering advice to Jay (paulga) and the manner in which it has been offered. It is why so many folks say this is a great forum.

I would like to suggest that when offering advice to someone at the bottom of the learning curve on something that you should also note any dangers. They may be obvious to you but not at all apparent to the learner.

In the case of the GFCI thread the Site Team had some requests for us to intervene, somehow, to ensure Jay did not electrocute himself or make his boat unsafe. We felt that in-thread warnings of dangers is the best way to manage situations of that nature. As Peter noted in the OP, Jay's desire to do things correctly while learning is important and a good mitigation of risk.

Unfortunately, in my view, the fact that this is an official request of the site team potentially converts this from a forum where readers have the responsibility to vet advice to one where posters have the obligation to affirmatively ensure that they warn all readers against all hazards in a way all readers understand, including those who may read posts years later after tech or practices change, are not partners to the conversation, and/or the abilities of whom are unknowable to the posters.

I don't know all risks. I don't know what a reader understands from my posts. I don't know a reader's level of understanding or competencies or level of self-awareness about either. I can't accept that responsibility.

I hereby disclaim all of my prior posts and ask that they be deleted as potentially hazardous under what I understand to be this new standard.

Or, alternatively, it should be recognized that the forum permits them to remain at their own risk as the forum has a well demonstrated ability to delete posts.

This forum has been fun, but I'll no longer be posting. Be well, all!

Last edited:
STB

There is no official request from the Site Team in my post above, just a suggestion that posters think about it. Please do not over-react!

You are correct in that we never know what a reader understands from a post!

I just want to offer congratulations to Paulga. He came into boat at ground zero, not just about boating, but also about most everything that goes into owning and maintaining anything, let alone a boat. I think all of us tend to take for granted all the ancillary homeowner, do-it-yourself knowledge that we have accumulated, but none of us is born knowing it. We all have to learn.

I'll admit to being a bit exasperated at times over the questions, but I really have to hand it to Paul for his persistence, desire to learn, desire to do things correctly, and ability to prioritize projects. I'll also say that from the pictures I've seen, you got yourself a really well cared for boat.

So hats off to you, and I hope the steep learning curve doesn't chase you away from boating, or take away from your enjoyment, especially when the weather gets better.

100% in agreement. Jay has his own style of doing things, that’s for sure. But hats off to all who offer help to him or any other member looking for advice.

I was close to 30 years old when I was afflicted with boat disease. My dad had zero mechanical aptitude - could barely change a lightbulb. I learned a lot along the way and can really empathize with newbies. My first sizeable boat was a Uniflite 42 Motoryacht that was docked in South San Francisco, an incredibly windy location. I was terrified to use the boat, and intimidated to work on it. Paulga is doing better than I did.

Paulga - how is it going? NY ain't what I'd call comfortable liveaboard conditions. Is it meeting your expectations? Do your friendsfamily think you're nuts?

TT - incredibly appropriate post. My sense is TF has a lot of contributors who 'pay it forward' and try to help. No one does it better or more consistently than you do.

Peter

STB don't leave. Your posts open the mind to consider alternatives.

I enjoy sharing what I know. Jay unfortunately frustrates me with not following through to the conclusion of the many topics he has asked help about. We all have multiple things to get done, I priortise and complete one task at a time. I cannot stop one to work on another and another and leaving them unfinished.

Mentioned already, the GFI thread, post a picture of the new plug installed and working or hire an electrician.

I'm a newcomer here on the forum.
The reason was to obtain information about paravanes that is not available in my own country {the Netherlands}.
While obtaining information/advice/experiences on this topic, there is often also opposing information/advice/experiences, which is normal.
I try to get the best things out of it, and it's precisely because of the opposing information that you start to think about it much better!
I am very happy that I ended up here and have great appreciation for this forum.
What I really appreciate is the mentality on the forum, everyone is respected.
I use Google translator to transfer my text from Dutch to English, which doesn't always go well, but I've never heard anything negative about it.
I also appreciate the enormous knowledge that is present here and because it takes place in another country you see solutions/implementations and sailing areas that are new to me, that makes it so interesting!

Mvg,

Pascal.

I've been pleasantly surprised by both the number of members offering advice to Jay (paulga) and the manner in which it has been offered. It is why so many folks say this is a great forum.

I would like to suggest that when offering advice to someone at the bottom of the learning curve on something that you should also note any dangers. They may be obvious to you but not at all apparent to the learner.

In the case of the GFCI thread the Site Team had some requests for us to intervene, somehow, to ensure Jay did not electrocute himself or make his boat unsafe. We felt that in-thread warnings of dangers is the best way to manage situations of that nature. As Peter noted in the OP, Jay's desire to do things correctly while learning is important and a good mitigation of risk.

This forum is not different in any way from anything from the net, meaning that any question will receive 100 different answers, being right or wrong and even when wrong it may seems right from the view of the one answering. Any reader should keep a critic mindset and ask himself do I think it is right or wrong and am I confident I can do it safely, if not the reader should first not do it and second seek confirmation from a pro, if any pro exists.
Everybody is trying to help and this can sometimes translate to bad advice due to bad practice, it is not because I do something for 20 years that I am not wrong for 20 years...
At the end it is the responsibility of a reader to make his mind about something and do it or no. It is not because 2 millions people tell me that it is good to jump over a cliff that I will do it...

Just my 2 cents.

L

I too congratulate Paulga on his fast learning path. In fact I`ve done so directly. Likewise I directly thanked STB some time ago for his patient advice and explanations to those needing help. TF would be the poorer without either, and without numerous others who go out of their way to help. I don`t read Insequent`s post as a rebuke, official or otherwise.
To all who help on technical issues, thank you. And to Paulga, press ahead, you are learning fast, tempered with caution and a willingness to ask for help. In time you`ll be returning the favor.

Thanks for the kind words, and the big help from all you guys.
in the first month of my ownership, i was relieved to see my boat still floating when i came back to her, even though she has been doing that for almost 4 decades
I'd hope life on the boat would be comfortable in the season

Back
Top Bottom