Canadian Derilicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We took Covid-19 seriously from the start and don't want to squander all that sacrifice and effort by allowing a free flow of people from the USA across our border.

Actually many Canadian places were hit very hard with the virus and many US places were not hit hard. Don't get your knickers in such a twist, just take a deep breathe now 1-2-3------- wasn't that easy ;)

MurrayM, I still considerate a skirmish or squabble≥ Neither side are sending out armed patrols.... I haven't read about anyone sneaking into Canada nor sneaking into the US from Canada.
If a boat strays over the 'line', more times than not, they are chased down and given a warning.... Oh that is ignoring the isolated boater who is dead set on getting arrested and then taken to a Canadian facility for further processing.
I suspect most American boater try to respect that invisible line, crossing into Canadian waters.
I do not know of anything in Canada that I cant live without.
I worked in Canada for about 4 months. The people I met and worked with were fine people. I do hope I left the same impression with them.
It is my humble opinion, both Canada and the US are populated by mostly wonderful people.
Again, I say, we will work through this, together.

How is Canada handling those towns that straddle the 2 borders?
Dan,
If it was not for the border gates, living near the border, the people are the same east-west or north-south. I always wonder why we have the expense of border guards on the 49th. I have Nexus and mostly just drive through slowly in case I am picked for a chat. (pre covid days)

No

Although you are certainly entitled to your opinions, and I am sorry for whatever happened to you to cause your dislike of Canadians, but your comments don't help international relations??:dance:

This guy speaks for only himself. All my American boater buddies love Canada and the Canadian people. This is obvious I hope, but felt it needed to be reiterated here.

Dan,
If it was not for the border gates, living near the border, the people are the same east-west or north-south. I always wonder why we have the expense of border guards on the 49th. I have Nexus and mostly just drive through slowly in case I am picked for a chat. (pre covid days)

My brother used to live in upstate NY. On one road.... go straight you were okay, turned left.... 50 yds to US/Canadian border with a sign, if going to Canada, call in and maybe Canadian customs will come and inspect your car.

Used to be the same with returning from the Islands. Call in and maybe US Customs would right down the information. Or tell you to go to your slip and Customs will come visit you. I only know of one time Customs did that to a boat.... That was many years ago.

Things were easier when we were younger.

So the video said they had until May to comply. Its now September. What is the current status?
In keeping with social media standards, the article and video are more than two years old, so reference to May would have been May 2018.

What's the current status? It flows in and out just like the squats; the same as any other "issue" they come and go, get replaced by others and once in a while a local reporter sniffs, writes and moves on to snakes in the toilet stories.

This guy speaks for only himself. All my American boater buddies love Canada and the Canadian people. This is obvious I hope, but felt it needed to be reiterated here.

He may speak for himself...as all really any of us can do....

But to a person...I have not spoken to one Floridian who hasn't echoed a similar thought about no Canadians coming to Florida this year.

Sure we all have friends from north of the border that we miss.

We also have a batch that as posted earlier.... loved to come and tell us how FUed we are. And we are called "ugly Americans" worldwide? That hasn't helped international relations for years and years...

Guess we are the only country with mirrors?

This is not situation that I like...but sitting back for a time I have seen and heard things that I can perfectly see where tensions are high on both sides. This COVID/political debate made me change opinions on a whole lot of people...on both sides of the border.

So yes Jack can only speak for himself...but he is far, far, far from the only one I know.

Last edited:
Looking at the date above the video it's from March 2018....so this is really old news.

Anyone know the outcome?

I didn't realize that when I posted it. Sorry:flowers:

Enforcement is logistically and financially problematic; no different than tent cities, barking dogs and beach burning garbage.

The City of Victoria now has some authority, if needed, with the knowledge it could go become lost in the usual legal maze.

Last edited:
Rural areas ....you wouldn't think anchoring legislation is a big deal...

But the wrong people with a loud voice can eliminate anchoring for everyone, everywhere but in very special areas.

The State of Georgia passed legislation to that effect.

Fortunately boaters sprang into action and overwhelmed the few misinformed that the legislation was not needed to that extreme and unbelievably that part of it violated federal law....it was modified to something more workable.

So giving local authorities power to regulate derelicts is great...as long as they don't include all boats that anchor in that legislation.

To all Canadians here, Jack probably also gets bent out of shape seeing New Yawkers coming down here telling us how to do things. So just think of yourselves as accepted like any other state.:hide:

Got a great chuckle out of that but be careful which cannuck you say that to, you might need a sturdier chair or perhaps a small caliber hand gun...... something I am told that can be readily purchased at any vending machine in the US. :whistling:

Got a great chuckle out of that but be careful which cannuck you say that to, you might need a sturdier chair or perhaps a small caliber hand gun...... something I am told that can be readily purchased at any vending machine in the US. :whistling:

LOL, 'guns in vending machines.'

Wow, how did I get soooo misinterpreted?? :facepalm:
All I meant was that for this thread, Sailor's comments might not help with international relations, and it was said in jest!!!!
I am sorry that Sailor finds the Canadians he comes across in Florida behave like jacka$$es. Each of our countries has it's "bad actors", none are exempt nowadays.
Personally, I have great respect for America and Americans (in general), but as stated, we all have our "bad actors". I am happy that our two nations generally have good relations, and view America as Canada's "best friend". Probably not all Canadians would agree with me, but then we (Canadians) can't all agree on face masks either:whistling:.

Rich, thanks for your comments. I concur.

Wow, how did I get soooo misinterpreted?? :facepalm:
All I meant was that for this thread, Sailor's comments might not help with international relations, and it was said in jest!!!!
I am sorry that Sailor finds the Canadians he comes across in Florida behave like jacka$$es. Each of our countries has it's "bad actors", none are exempt nowadays.
Personally, I have great respect for America and Americans (in general), but as stated, we all have our "bad actors". I am happy that our two nations generally have good relations, and view America as Canada's "best friend". Probably not all Canadians would agree with me, but then we (Canadians) can't all agree on face masks either:whistling:.

Rich, thanks for your comments. I concur.
Do you mind if we agree this time? I want to be on the majority side once at least.

Actually many Canadian places were hit very hard with the virus and many US places were not hit hard. Don't get your knickers in such a twist, just take a deep breathe now 1-2-3------- wasn't that easy ;)

Never said we were perfect. It’s Canada’s national shame that workers in most seniors homes don’t get hired full time and are forced to get several lower paying part time jobs at two or more seniors homes to make ends meet.

That’s where 80% of Canada’s deaths came from.

No knickers to get twisted, as a proud Canadian I wear gonch :D

Attachments

• L Js.jpg
    L Js.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 28
As a proud Canadian, especially way up there, you should be in Stanfields.

:thumb: :thumb:

Two things people should know about Canadians...

1) We can make love in a canoe without tipping, and

2) we can take a crap while wearing snowshoes (utilizing the trap door in the Stanfields) without making a mess.

We can make love in a canoe without tipping.
Yeah, well, don't get too smug about that. The guy standing by, patiently holding your clothes, will soon tire of you never tipping and walk off with your Stanfields.

Well it seems PNW has the same issue/problem. B.C. courts are basically stating the the municipality owns the land under the water? If so this is what Washington State has done.

I have a dock. I own the dock and a small strip of land. However, any land from high tide outward that is under water is owned by the state.

Derelicts have increased along in the Portland area. It got so bad I believe Portland passed a law that restricted moorage.

Now these derilics have discovered other areas like St. Helens Oregon. They camp out in the near buy channels, then they come to town and fill up the city dock. Then things start disappearing from boats like us. St. Helens has tried to regulate the time on the docks to 14 days in any month. So they have figured out how to get around it.

Below is a link to Portland. Even 40 miles down river in our neck of the woods is this cement sail boat. He got tossed from the dock due to non payment of moorage fees and insurance. I am worried about it dragging and ASD could be in its path.

One place I see may be changing in Canada is across from Nanaimo. Lots of derilics there all summer.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/201...waterways-receive-long-awaited-attention.html

View attachment 108207

Actually St Helens has limited dock stay to only 72 hours in a 14 day period. this occurred about a year ago after many complaints from residents like me. Trouble is they DO NOT enforce it and there are regularly "squatter boats" at city docks for weeks to months at a time. until they actually begin to consistently enforce it, it will continue.

Yeah, well, don't get too smug about that. The guy standing by, patiently holding your clothes, will soon tire of you never tipping and walk off with your Stanfields.

I never know how much to leave in that situation....is 15% being cheap?

Greetings,
Further to Mr. f's post (#45)...Not all Americans are ugly nor are all Canadians impolite.

iu

Steve, certainly we can agree. To be honest, this is not the first time!!
RT. Good one, and mostly true. But what is wrong with our hero's the brothers McKenzie (Bob and Doug). Take off, eh. :)
For any of you who don't know of them, that statement (Take off, eh) was a mainstay of their conversations. They also called most people, "hosers", including each other. :)

Some good chuckles there Steve.
Now, back to derelict boats :)

Ha, silly Canadians! They probably think that we have free speech so
they can say whatever they please when they're in SOF's earshot!

We (City of Martinez, Carquinez Strait) had a long-term wreck along the shore of a wooden schooner previously involved in the coastal lumber trade. It was considered a landmark, deserving its own historical plaque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom