Bow Thruster Choice Vetus vs SidePower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
I have a friend that is interested in having a bow thruster installed after purchasing a (used) boat.
Boat is a 39 ft Azimut so not really a trawler but looking for any / all TF experience.

He has obtained 2 proposals from installers - no significant difference in price between installers and they include dual station, dedicated batty and charging (details not specified):

SidePower SE100/185T - 12V unit, dual prop, 2 yr warranty, 220-250 lb thrust (depends on V lower at 10.5 V)
Installer states he prefers SP as they are "better built"?

Vetus #9524 - 24V, single prop 3 yr warranty, 210 lb (V not stated)
Installer states he prefers Vetus as single prop equal performance, simpler design and less less chance of jamming between props

I have SP BT & ST and zero problems in 10 yrs (in fresh water). Operation of "new" boat will be fresh water.
I'm guessing most members have experience with one or the other but few with experience with both mfg.
Willing to listen to TF experience, thoughts / recommendations

My experience with vetus single prop thruster is that it’s more powerful to one side vs the other. This is due to the lower unit being in the path of water flow. If the thruster is marginally sized, this can make a difference.

I put in a SidePower in 2018 and I have been very happy with it. 24V 435lbs thrust max. It has a prop on each side so it has the same power in both directions. It also has a variable speed joystick for better control. I'm using two group 31 batts with a dedicated 24v Stirling charger after going through two ProNautic chargers.

I put a Sidepower thruster in our last boat and it worked very well. Good support.

My only comment on the Side Power that came with my boat is that the propellers are either fiberglass or some type of plastic. In 8 years of cruising, I probably broke 3 blades necessitating replacing the propeller. The blabes aren't fragile, it's more about sucking a fish into the tunnel while pushing off from the dock. I don't know what the Vetus propellers are made of, or if they use a shear pin instead of breakable blades.

I really liked my Side Power thruster after swapping the motor for a 24 volt one. But I wouldn't feel comfortable without the spare propeller kit (2 propellers with all the bits) onboard.

If he prefers the Vetus, I would research the sacrificial element in the system. Even if you can't change it yourself, having the parts only means you now need a diver to install them.

Ted

My 2005 SP suddenly began to display very poor performance in 2020. I checked in with tech support at IMTRA, the current owners of SP where I received excellent advice for all the horrible possibilities which came to my mind. However, the tech guided me in the direction of accumulated carbon and how to remove it. It was a relatively easy fix, and the old unit is as peppy as ever. Good gear, good support.

My 2005 SP suddenly began to display very poor performance in 2020. I checked in with tech support at IMTRA, the current owners of SP where I received excellent advice for all the horrible possibilities which came to my mind. However, the tech guided me in the direction of accumulated carbon and how to remove it. It was a relatively easy fix, and the old unit is as peppy as ever. Good gear, good support.
Rich
Can you elaborate on what you did re carbon clean up?
I have (2) SP and notice lots of carbon dust in the vicinity but no noticeable loss of power...yet.

Don,
I think I overdid it when I pulled the looong bolts out of the top in order to remove the short section holding the brushes in, but I wanted to get a good look at the brushes. The tech told me the brushes were so overly engineered that they should last a lifetime, and from my inspection, I'd say he was correct - those things are huge. Anyway, I dowsed the thing in brake cleaner to solve the problem and probably could have done just that without all the hassle of messing about getting the brushes back in alignment.

I have a Vetus 9512 from 2006. Boat has ~5k hours.

After erratic recent behavior, I removed the motor, took it to a local alternator shop, and got a complete rebuild with about ten days turnaround time. No issues getting replacement brushes, bearings and relay. the rebuild cost less than 50% of a replacement motor, which was also available.

That impressed me.

The only other comment I'd make is in favor of 24v over 12v. My 12v works fine, but the current required to get 6kw in a 12v system is enormous, 600+ amps. Getting 10.5v from LA batteries at that load may be unrealistic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom