Average Length of Time Boat Owned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landshort

Howdy all,

I am located in the PNW.

My enjoyment of the Trawler world has been by Charter only and not Ownership.
As I have gathered information from this Forum on possible make and model for ownership it seems clear that most folks tend to buy and sell more than one boat as they move through ownership.

I'm curious what the average time of ownership is of a given boat prior to change?

I only have had one trawler and expect to keep it 15 years, not a boat flipper.

Ted

Landshort,
I have owned 2 boats so far (no plans to change that). First was a sailboat for 11 plus years. Sold that due to a health issue (foot problem) with my wife, and bought the trawler. Plan to retire from boating by selling this trawler sometime in the future.
I think this is a totally personal thing, and will vary greatly for many reasons.
The least expensive way is to get your last boat first! :)

First was a 22 C-Dory (7 years). Next a Bounty 257 (18 years). Now a 37 Nordic Tug (4 years so far, many more to come).

We had a Bayliner 3587 for seven years and are about to commission a North Pacific 45, which we jokingly call our “20 year boat”.

When we bought our first boat we didn’t have a good idea of what we wanted. We really didn’t want to spend a fortune, so we got a cheaper boat and applied ourselves to learning. After seven years and several hundred hours, we have a much better idea of what we want in a trawler.

Hard to imagine upgrading from the 45, but I suppose you never know.

Had a variety of small sailboats and outboards for 20 years.

First big boat was a 1981 Mainship 34 that we had for 15 years.

We sold that in 2000 and bought a 1976 Bluewater 40 Trawler which we've had for 20 years.

The Bluewater is our final boat and we hope to boat for at least another 15 years until we are in our mid 80's. If our health allows it.

The less boats bought and sold is a less expensive way to boat. Every boat purchase and sale require expenses, fees and commission, that are not recovered. Then you have all the equipment that is replaced or installed on the purchased boat. And finally the depreciation when you sell.

We owned our first trawler, a Gulfstar 36, for eight years, and we are now close to 8 years on our Mainship 400. No plans to sell it any time soon, but we may change when we retire in 3 to 5 years.

Interestingly, I bought my flats boat (an 1820 Action Craft) new when I was guiding and it is close to 20 years old now, though I have replaced the motor and the trailer. I think I will keep it for quite a while longer. It's currently worth almost exactly what I paid for it in 2001. I guided with it for 12 or 13 years, so it's been a great investment. That's not something you can say about a boat very often.

As Firehoser75 says “the least expensive way is to get your last boat first”.
Great advice!
We have looked at everything from Nordhavn to Nordic Tug. Sure is fun looking!
Our Chartering has helped define what would work best for us as well.

Owned by us and not a parent?

First a Hobie Cat. 3 years in the UK before we left for America.

When we moved to Florida in 2000 bought a Silverton 40 Aft Cabin September 2001 and had it for 14 glorious family years.

Donated that to a Boys Home.

Now Sonas, fifth season. Will keep until we are ready to downsize to a Sabre 48 or similar. Probably in about 12-15 years.

Will put us in our mid-seventies. Maybe ten years with the downeaster if we keep in good health. Then, who knows.

Dougcole,
We chartered a Mainship for 2 weeks couple years ago on a trip in the San Juan and Gulf islands, had a great time. Boat functioned well, was roomy and comfortable. Have you taken yours to Bahamas?

We are on our 23rd boat. The longest we have ever kept a boat was 8 years, but we had another boat during that time. I still look for number 24 but we will probably stick with the current boat until we have to move to something like the dreaded pontoon boat...

It varies so from person to person and to type of boat.

On the lake I averaged 7 years per boat. Went from 17 to 30' over the years.

In 2012 we moved to the coast and every boat we've purchased then and since, we still have except a boat we bought to do the loop and then a couple of years later got an offer we couldn't refuse and we didn't need it at that time. Our plan was 7 years and 10 years depending on size. Well, the boat we planned on keeping 7 years, we've now had 8 and no plans of getting rid of it.

I apparently learned how to buy boats in 1978 and have honed my skills many times since.
They forgot the chapter on selling boats and I have never sold a single vessel. It is beyond ridiculous at this point, even I agree.

I have a little expedition planned for this coming weekend that involves my first boat, a 1959 aluminum 14' Canadian made Thornes powered by a 1980 OMC 9.9 HP outboard. This vessel is so much smaller than the mountain of fun that is has been responsible for and with both boat and motor still going quite strong, I expect to add to that mountain in a couple of days. That boat should write a book.....
Added some flip down wheels to the transom this past weekend(among some other projects on her) for her new role in the saltwater.

The question looks odd to me.
Would be similar to ask how long on average before your divorce or how long on average do you keep your house before selling it.
Pretty sure there is no average and as many answers as there are trawler owners.

L

bought her in 2002.

I figured if I got 20 years out of her, I could justify the cost.

Just had an insurance survey and the value went up 10% versus the last survey 9 years ago.

I may get more years than I thought.

During my many decades of boating I've owned numerous boats. Seldom one at a time. Three right now... one for 12 years, one for ten years, one for one year.

I become owner of a boat when it "speaks" to me. Sometimes I sell em when their "speaking" stops making very much sense. Sometimes I sell them for other reasons... like another boat begins speaking even more clearly to me... and, I need to make room for its presence.

I listen to what a boat may be loudly saying or what they might need to say to me. Sometimes their communication path to me starts with a whisper. Occasionally they may whisper to me different times during a span of years before I become ready to purchase and spend time in ongoing conversation

You see, IMO: Most boats do actually have a soul... a female soul. Although I do know of some waterborne craft with male souls. I completely prefer those with female souls!

:speed boat:

Well, I have owned Weebles, my Willard 36 for 22-years and have no plans to sell her. That is an outlier though.

When I was an active delivery skipper in the late 1990's through 2004, about half my business was delivering Nordhavns. For some reason, there was a predictable pattern of boat ownership for owners. They bought the boat (or had it built), spent a year getting ready for an adventure, then headed off for about 2-years. By then, they had accomplished what they set out to do and were ready for something else. So many seemed to own their boat for around 4-5 years. Some moved to larger boats (often Nordhavn). But many had shore-side responsibilities to attend to - aging parents, grandchildren, etc.

I'd also guess that asking folks like myself and others who respond on a forum like this is probably going to draw a skewed answer. Many responses are from posters with very high post-counts and are hopelessly afflicted with a rare form of fiberglass virus that causes ownership derangement.

Peter

Buy a boat too small, then make small 2 foot jumps, and the answer will be every few years. Buy a large enough boat and make decent sized jumps and the answer will be a longer number of years.

If you want a 35 but settle for a 30, you will outgrow it. If you outgrow the 30, don't buy a 33.

I seem to have a 6 year problem. I owned every boat in my signature 6 years. I have my reasons....more like rationalizations. But I just bought this boat and it is not likely to be my retirement boat. It could be but that is not the plan. So I should have it for about 6 years....and then the final boat!!!

Well, I have owned Weebles, my Willard 36 for 22-years and have no plans to sell her. That is an outlier though.

When I was an active delivery skipper in the late 1990's through 2004, about half my business was delivering Nordhavns. For some reason, there was a predictable pattern of boat ownership for owners. They bought the boat (or had it built), spent a year getting ready for an adventure, then headed off for about 2-years. By then, they had accomplished what they set out to do and were ready for something else. So many seemed to own their boat for around 4-5 years. Some moved to larger boats (often Nordhavn). But many had shore-side responsibilities to attend to - aging parents, grandchildren, etc.

I'd also guess that asking folks like myself and others who respond on a forum like this is probably going to draw a skewed answer. Many responses are from posters with very high post-counts and are hopelessly afflicted with a rare form of fiberglass virus that causes ownership derangement.

Peter

:rofl: :dance: :thumb: :D :facepalm: :whistling: :socool: :angel:

"... hopelessly afflicted with a rare form of fiberglass virus that causes ownership derangement." LOL X 2 - And, TRUE!! :blush:

We have had a fair share of smaller trailer boats. We bought an older/cheaper bigger boat this year. We plan on keeping it for at least two years. If we like the big boat ownership we will then sell the egg and get a better/newer/bigger one. If we can't stand boats at the end of two years we will sell it and move on.

Dougcole,
We chartered a Mainship for 2 weeks couple years ago on a trip in the San Juan and Gulf islands, had a great time. Boat functioned well, was roomy and comfortable. Have you taken yours to Bahamas?

Yes, we primarily use it in the Bahamas. It's a great Bahamas boat.

We have had a fair share of smaller trailer boats. We bought an older/cheaper bigger boat this year. We plan on keeping it for at least two years. If we like the big boat ownership we will then sell the egg and get a better/newer/bigger one. If we can't stand boats at the end of two years we will sell it and move on.

Photos?? Eggs are good boats!

Attachments

• fishing2.jpg
    fishing2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 49
Owning a variety of increasing size boats is a good way to becoming a proficient boater. For younger people. You learn what you want or not want in a boat while moving up through various types of boats.

Most of us lifelong boaters started boating as youngsters in small boats and worked up in size as finances, family or boating ambition grew.

For people getting into boating later in life, those intermediate steps need to to be shortened or eliminated due to time constraints. They either need to buy their last boat first or make a couple large jumps in size. Professional training will most likely be required by insurance and is highly recommended. If making incremental steps, buy a big enough boat so that everything involved in boating can be experienced so that when the time comes, you will know what features and amenities are desired or not on the last boat.

A lot depends on the age of the new boater, health and finances. Also how long they anticipate boating.

In the last 20 years, I've seen more older people get into boating because it was on their "bucket list" or it was their retirement dream or it's something they always wanted to do. They purchase a boat, get trained and go to Desolation, Broughtons, Alaska, Mexico, Panama Canal, Loop, etc. When they finish checking off the list, they go on to something else. A few loved boating so much that they altered their "bucket list" timeline to continue boating.

My advice would be to stop talking and dreaming about a boat and just do it!. Go buy a decent size boat and start enjoying boating before you run out of life.

A few loved boating so much that they altered their "bucket list" timeline to continue boating.

My advice would be to stop talking and dreaming about a boat and just do it!. Go buy a decent size boat and start enjoying boating before you run out of life.

Man! That pins the tail on the donkey. i.e. puts it in a nut shell!! "... before you run out of life."

Back
Top Bottom