Another PNW question - Dinghy question this time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob B.

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Honu
Vessel Make
25 foot Atlas Acadia
As my wife and I continue to prepare for a trip to the San Juan islands this summer, I have a dinghy question.

Our boat is a 25 foot Acadia with a deep keel. We travel with 2-60 pound dogs.We have a 10 foot inflatable we may either tow or store on the roof over our deck. My question is this; I have a 46 pound trolling motor. I do not know if that is enough trust for the tender with myself, wife and two dogs, we are like 500 pounds. It would be very convenient to use, but I wonder if it has enough thrust for our combined wait and the tidal currents from moorings to the islands.

So is it recommended that this would be ok to use or should I look for a small outboard motor?

Bob.

As my wife and I continue to prepare for a trip to the San Juan islands this summer, I have a dinghy question.

Our boat is a 25 foot Acadia with a deep keel. We travel with 2-60 pound dogs.We have a 10 foot inflatable we may either tow or store on the roof over our deck. My question is this; I have a 46 pound trolling motor. I do not know if that is enough trust for the tender with myself, wife and two dogs, we are like 500 pounds. It would be very convenient to use, but I wonder if it has enough thrust for our combined wait and the tidal currents from moorings to the islands.

So is it recommended that this would be ok to use or should I look for a small outboard motor?

Bob.
Bob, why not get everyone into the dingy where you are and find out?
IMO, it sounds underpowered except in no wind, no current conditions

Soo he talks about a 46lb “motor” ....
And 46lbs.
Don’t know if it’s the weight of the engine or motor or the thrust it makes.
I’ll wait for more clarity. But it sounds like a dinghy situation w 500lbs of dogs and people. Is this a 2.5 knot get me to shore operation? Yup

Bob, I'd say your motor would get you to shore from your mooring. It wouldn't be pretty but I'd guess rowing would even work for that short of distance, although you'd get a workout!

I wonder if it has enough thrust for our combined wait and the tidal currents from moorings to the islands

Not sure what your itinerary for the San Juans looks like, but I assume you'll be selecting from the many protected coves and anchorages available. If your plan is to anchor or grab mooring balls in these coves and dinghy to shore, power really isn't an issue. Many boaters don't even use outboards and just row/paddle in.

Soo he talks about a 46lb “motor” ....
And 46lbs.
Don’t know if it’s the weight of the engine or motor or the thrust it makes.
I’ll wait for more clarity. But it sounds like a dinghy situation w 500lbs of dogs and people. Is this a 2.5 knot get me to shore operation? Yup
I took it to mean either weight or thrust to be equal an electric trolling motor or about a 3 HP OB.
The weight popped out as I just purchased a 5HP propane Mercury which weighs 60LBs for the dink.

I'm using a 1KW electric outboard on a Bullfrog 10' (heavy, 600 lbs + with two aboard), usually run it at 500W or less. Plenty of power for going ashore or toodling around the anchorage if you aren't in a hurry. I wouldn't go out in a 50 knot gale with it but then who would? Currents are not that strong in most of the San Juan anchorages, and the weather typically benign in summer.

We have a 9'6" Zodiac inflatable floor dingy with a 4 hp, 70 lb. motor, and two kids that weigh just a little more than your dogs. Rated capacity of the dingy is something like 1100 lbs if I remember correctly (inflatable floor adds a lot of buoyancy). We're going to buy a bigger one for this season (new dingy, sticking with the 4hp motor). It goes fast enough for us even through heavy chop, but loaded with all four of us, plus stuff, plus a spare gas can, it's low in the water and the ride is wet and sloppy. I remember one long choppy run from Genoa Bay marina to Cowachin that I would not have wanted to do in our current dingy. Not intolerable at all, but I would have preferred another couple feet.

My trolling motor is 46 pounds of thrust - sorry for the confusion - add to that the weight of a battery and the trolling motor, people, dogs, cargo would be likely 600 pounds-ish.

Bob.

Bob it dosn’t really matter if you have 2hp or 5hp. A 10’ boat with 600lbs aboard will will just sludge along at 2 knots or so. The 2hp will make more noise and the electric motor will weigh more and cost more with more thrust.

With the load mentioned it will be kinda like a barge. I’d be thinking about a bigger boat. Perhaps an aluminum skiff that will have far more volume in the hull and flotation. Volume and carrying capacity will get you where you want to be IMO. Then power = whatever it takes. But generally speaking for you the bigger the boat the better.

Most boaters with really small tenders make two trips to shore if hauling more than 2 people.

The currents in small PNW bays and harbors can get strong but only during peak. Wait for the current to slow.

And with small boats, anchor closer to shore.

With our previous boat, we had a 9' Livingston tender that we rowed to shore. It was wide and difficult to row. But we had no problems getting around.

Last edited:
Nomad Willie,

I totally agree. We want to get out to see the islands. Also we explore the Upper Mississippi River and visit beaches and sand bars. The full keel keeps us in deeper water. The boat is on a trailer so although we can visit many new places, we are limited to less than optimum choices with a dinghy and power. I can row, but wondered if the 46 pounds of thrust would be enough to get us to shore and back to the boat, even in some current - never gonna get on plane or even be quick for sure. I have some doubt about 46 pounds of thrust but wanted to ask those who have more experience.

Bob.

Bob.

Wifey B: In the famous words of Roberto Duran, "No Mas." :nonono:

You have two people, two large dogs, and a 10' inflatable. You're going to carry 500 lbs in a 100 lb boat. Use the smallest thing you can to just get you through the water, whether that's your trolling motor or a 2 hp outboard and likely your trolling motor will handle that weight better. If the currents are too strong for that combo, then wait or move the Acadia. Just don't add any more weight or size or anything to take up your space or increase your load. Try it with what you've already got. Keep in mind that moving the Acadia to a convenient dock or another anchorage is an easy thing to do. :)

The electric trolling motor will work fine. We have spent time in the San Juans without ever bothering to put the motor on the inflatable, just rowing it.
I assume you have already figured out a way to keep the battery charged up, that would be the toughest part of your plan.

As noted the currents shouldn't be much of an issue in the common anchorages. Once you know your vacation dates you can look up the tides which will inform you about currents. I think the bigger issue you'll face would be wind and waves with a fully loaded boat. There are some nice anchorages like Blind Bay on Shaw Island where you need to motor maybe a 1/4 mile to get to the attraction, such as an ice cream from the store at the ferry landing. With being loaded it won't take much of a head wind to get you wet. So either plan on spray getting you wet or splitting up the load like others have suggested.

You should be able to tow your dinghy most of the time however if the wind and waves are up you may need to store it on the boat. Wind and waves can flip a dinghy and it can be a chore to get it flipped back over especially if it's sloppy out. Rosario Strait would be the likely crossing that you'll need to watch if the wind is up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom