Air Compressor Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dry Dock

Vessel Name
Never EZ
Vessel Make
Hatteras 42 LRC
As always...looking for advice and ideas on the replacement of an air compressor primarily used for the horns, but also for light use air tools.
Had a 110V compressor/3 gal tank 150 psi package unit which has gone belly up and sifting through some options;

1. 110V via inverter vs 12v
2. Package unit vs split (compressor in engine compartment w/remote tank at
fly bridge
3. Manufacturer recommendations

Thoughts, comments and crude remarks welcomed

It depends on how many cubic feet, and at what pressure. A nail driver or even a ratchet can get by with a small compressor. But continuously running tools like a drill, sander, impact wrench may take more. My 6" orbital sander slowly bleeds down the tank with a 3hp compressor but will run forever on a 5hp compressor.

I have air shifting, throttle and a big air horn. So I had a 3hp, but wore it out running the sander. Now with a 5hp the compressor stays ahead and gets rest time. Wood boat, lots of sanding.

A DC 12v unit will supply horns, other accessories and the smallest of tools only.

An single phase AC unit can be sized to run all but large industrial tools. Generally speaking the larger the better: less duty cycle, cooler air, more tankage, likely less $$/cu.ft.

When in doubt go for the biggest that you can fit and power. Better to have and not need rather than vice versa. Go name brand of it's going to see real work or chineseium if it's not.

Direct drive oiled units are a dime a dozen and easy to find/replace. Oil free units can be used for breathing air for hull cleaning etc (obviously, with the correct precautions).

Personally, I went 2hp 30ltrs oil free. For a 54' Steelie. Ran a nailer and light sanding no worries but gave up at a paint sprayer.

My $0.02 - belt drive reduces vibration and noise, and do not go oil free because they are very noisy.

Does anyone have an air compressor on their main engine? That’s standard equipment for diesels in vehicular applications for air brakes. The pumps mount to an engine PTO pad. On smaller engines it may be the same pad that’s used by a sea water pump in marine applications, but larger engines typically have more than one PTO pad.

Does anyone have an air compressor on their main engine? That’s standard equipment for diesels in vehicular applications for air brakes. The pumps mount to an engine PTO pad. On smaller engines it may be the same pad that’s used by a sea water pump in marine applications, but larger engines typically have more than one PTO pad.

Even if there's no PTO spot available, I don't see why you couldn't install a belt drive one (provided you can make a suitable mounting bracket). The old York automotive A/C compressors have an oil sump (unlike newer units) and can be converted to work as an air compressor without them dying an early death due from lack of lube. It used to be common in the off-road community before large alternators and bigger electric compressors became common.

The PTO option never crossed my mind. Thanks for the collective for giving me another rabbit hole to explore

...do not go oil free because they are very noisy.
Actually, there are some very quiet oil free compressors available nowadays. I own one from California Air Tools. It does not make any more noise when it is running than my 2021 Toyota Camry makes when idling.

Back
Top Bottom