Name the one thing you dislike about your boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Instead of a new thread, I was wondering if anyone here has or had a faux smoke stack. I've seen them on Willards and Tugs. I actually convinced my friend to remove his from his Willard. Obviously I'm not a fan.

Our Sundowner Tug has one. Not too stupid looking, meaning it isn't too overbearing on the eyes. I think it's main function is to visually break the line created by overhanging windows on the pilothouses aft wall. More compositional in a design sense than functional.

The chimney for the old cast iron diesel stove comes up through the top of it, so serves a purpose, in a way.

Last edited:
Instead of a new thread, I was wondering if anyone here has or had a faux smoke stack. I've seen them on Willards and Tugs. I actually convinced my friend to remove his from his Willard. Obviously I'm not a fan.
Spy's faux stack is in my garden shed.

Is there one thing you don't like about your boat? One thing I dislike about mine is the gear lever positions are the opposite of every boat I've owned. To Reverse you push the gear lever away from you, to go Forward you pull the gear lever toward you. Makes it difficult to operate the boat intuitively in tight spots. Muscle memory kicks in.

That DOES sound like a challenge. I have a Beneteau ST44 and so far like almost everything about it. But one thing that bothers me about all trawlers is the lack of all-around integrated camera imaging such as newer cars have. You probably know what I mean but it’s like viewing the car from above and it’s amazingly helpful in tight quarters. With that one could more easily dock from the flybridge. I wonder why this is not available and my only guess is the algorithms are complex/expensive and maybe there isn’t the scale to make it cost effective. Anyone know?

That DOES sound like a challenge. I have a Beneteau ST44 and so far like almost everything about it. But one thing that bothers me about all trawlers is the lack of all-around integrated camera imaging such as newer cars have. You probably know what I mean but it’s like viewing the car from above and it’s amazingly helpful in tight quarters. With that one could more easily dock from the flybridge. I wonder why this is not available and my only guess is the algorithms are complex/expensive and maybe there isn’t the scale to make it cost effective. Anyone know?

buy a bunch of now defunct Kodak auto focus camera sensors. Adjust the distance so that it alarms at a predetermined distance (resistors). Then buy a backdown camera.
Gosh, that was easy.

I’ve heard of Nordic Tug owners who put antennas, radar reflectors and propane bottles in their stacks, at least the older versions. Maybe fake but, they weren’t entirely useless.

I’ve heard of Nordic Tug owners who put antennas, radar reflectors and propane bottles in their stacks, at least the older versions. Maybe fake but, they weren’t entirely useless.

I believe it houses a radar reflector equipped from the factory. A consideration when removing it, I suppose.

I detest faux junk on anything. Won't watch a show with "laugh tracks". However, I will say that boat's faux exhaust chimneys at least provide some useable mention. Another item I cringe on... BS spoilers on a car's trunk!! :dance:

My biggest gripe about my boat is that it's in a slip in Seattle awaiting some knowledgeable boat shopper to come along and fall in love with her. :facepalm:

The flip side of that gripe is that when that buyer comes along and signs on the dotted line the two of us are going shopping for a Class A diesel pusher., :thumb: :thumb:

Mike - I've noticed you on iVR2. :hello:

I detest faux junk on anything. Won't watch a show with "laugh tracks". However, I will say that boat's faux exhaust chimneys at least provide some useable mention. Another item I cringe on... BS spoilers on a car's trunk!! :dance:

I was going to post that too. Worst thing is the vinyl roof-- faux convertible on 60's cars. What were they thinking!

The one thing I dislike about ours is the 60ft hull
Our cabin built on the 65ft hull would give us 4ft extra beam and a cockpit large enough to entertain

I was going to post that too. Worst thing is the vinyl roof-- faux convertible on 60's cars. What were they thinking!

Rust underneath the vinyl to keep auto body shops going strong... I guess??

Rear window trim and gutter over the doors could rust so badly in Maine [salt freely spread on roads during snow/ice conditions] that in a few years from new some cars' the hardtops were total toast!!

Rust underneath the vinyl to keep auto body shops going strong... I guess??

Rear window trim and gutter over the doors could rust so badly in Maine [salt freely spread on roads during snow/ice conditions] that in a few years from new some cars' the hardtops were total toast!!

My parents had '68 GTO and it was handed down to me (They thought it was *just* a Pontiac). It had a black vinyl roof. In 12th grade I stripped it off.

What we dislike !!

Lot of thing for us may be , probably for another it could be advazntage :)

too beamy 5.90 m maxi for our use must be 5.08m
too air draft 4.95m arch removed for our use must be 3.45m
too draft 1.70m (full "maxi" loaded) for our use below 1.30m will be perfect
too big engine 2x705 hp C12 CAT for our use 2x300 hp it will be enought by far (or even only one 400hp)

too large "window"

not enough thickness of thermal insulation
too "sophisticated" : 2 reverse water chilled aircon, two generator, two windlass, 3 inverter, 3 charger, side power hydraulic system for windlass, bow-trusther, stab, rudder, crane, hydraulic gangway ... etc etc

We like more, more basic boat...

Ok ok some are usefull

My parents had '68 GTO and it was handed down to me (They thought it was *just* a Pontiac). It had a black vinyl roof. In 12th grade I stripped it off.

Too Cool! Still have her??

For Sunday drives we currently have a 67 Buick Wildcat.

Attachments

• 2A - CAT.JPG
    2A - CAT.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 24
Wish it were a cockpit version. We love the sundeck, but the almost vertical ladder to the swim platform will probably get old - as we get older. Alas, as most things - a little trade and a lot more boat bucks could fix it! Love the engine access - tons of room.
Lear, that sundeck style vs cockpit style does not need to be the trade off. You can have both. We loved that about our Albin 49 -- big, covered sundeck for the old bald guy, huge master stateroom, yet still a cockpit for easy boarding from dock or dinghy, and great for line handling. Of course, like everything else boating related, that cockpit does bring up another trade off. It makes our boat 6' longer than it otherwise would be, so there is that.

Years ago, MAN engines were having a bunch of failure. The factory tried to blame it on the owners....
Results: class action against MAN. I am told, it was traced to defective pistons made in China.

That's why some people call MAN engines Man grenades

My stack contains propane to fuel the stove. Don't want to eliminate the stack and increase dependency on electricity and a genset.

Attachments

• IMG_1016_zps79a0851a.jpg
    IMG_1016_zps79a0851a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I recently had my faux stack off for maintenance. I had to recaulk the pilothouse to "boat deck" seam. I decided to just glass it in for a permanent fix. The boat looked very strange without the stack. I really like it, and feel that it helps with the Nordic Tug (distinctive) "look".

That is one of the things about people, different strokes for different folks!!!! And that is a good thing. Otherwise, the boat builders would only make a very few models :).

We had also a faux stack on our former "long-cours 62" first with project to fit remote control for engine and a joy stick for the rudder but never needed , finally stay in place just for the "fun".
First I want paint it in "retro mustard" color but my boss oups :facepalm: my wife said : NO !

Attachments

• 100_0984.jpg
    100_0984.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The swim platform is too low to the water. When we are in full traveling dress with the dinghy on back and the 120 gallon water tank, which is as far back in the boat as it can be, full, it's practically dragging at cocktail cruise speed. At anchor, boat wakes coming from behind compress under the platform and blow up through the vents like Old Faithful. It could be mounted higher, and the water tank could be up under the pedestal queen berth in the bow. Aside from that, no real gripes, she's treated us well over a lot of years, miles and hours.

The swim platform is too low to the water. When we are in full traveling dress with the dinghy on back and the 120 gallon water tank, which is as far back in the boat as it can be, full, it's practically dragging at cocktail cruise speed. At anchor, boat wakes coming from behind compress under the platform and blow up through the vents like Old Faithful. It could be mounted higher, and the water tank could be up under the pedestal queen berth in the bow. Aside from that, no real gripes, she's treated us well over a lot of years, miles and hours.

It's funny your screen name is "Drill guy" because your comment made me think of a Sawsall.

Decades ago.

Re the MAN engines.

BandB, MAN kept saying, "Owner's fault", till the class action suit and the threat of court case. It was only after they were presented with the legal papers that MAN decided to investigate further.
I remember a plane with trailing banner, over head at the Miami boat show.....inviting folks to join the lawsuit.
I guess they either had to rebuild or replace a number of engines.

Last edited:
Chine slap (bow slap).

I have used ear plugs at night at home because I am a light sleeper and it really was impacting my daytime hours... $5 for a bunch of ear plugs - it takes about 2 weeks to get used to them - I tried them because my doctor did not want to medicate me... I was angry with him but it really worked out best for me... Noise reduction allows me to sleep.

Howdy LovetoBoat

Welcome... Gota boat? Photos??

I don't want to sleep too soundly while at anchor. Usually wake to check situations once or twice during night. At dock... I sleep like a baby!!

We love ours - except....

Its on the hard hybernating! [emoji42]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom