New Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So we are on our second mattress in 3 years. The last was a $1200 pillow top. The springs collapsed and the Admiral and I kept rolling to the middle. It was hard on out back and joints. We discovered that when the mattress was installed they bent it in half to get it through the door, thus the broke springs.

So we looked at the beds at the boat show and got sticker shock! $2300! For a bed?

Then we tested a Leeza mattress (Queen). Price was reasonable and on sale. It came in a small box and we unpacked it, wow it expanded rapidly. Slept on it last night and woke up not hurting. Nice:thumb:

https://www.leesa.com/

Attachments

• IMG_7909.jpg
    IMG_7909.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 122
If it is foam, it can be cut to match your needs with an electric knife.

pete

We love our memory foam mattresses in the boat and also at home.

Did you get the standard foam or one of the spring hybrids?

Any quality home mattress plus there are custom mattress manufacturers in nearly every city and they're also priced quite reasonably.

Springs don't work well for boat applications unless you're prepared to have far more depth than most people choose. Therefore, you generally need to go foam, although a few hybrid can work.

The problem with springs you have to fold the mattress to get it into the berth thus breaking the springs. This looks like it will work for us.
Any quality home mattress plus there are custom mattress manufacturers in nearly every city and they're also priced quite reasonably.

Springs don't work well for boat applications unless you're prepared to have far more depth than most people choose. Therefore, you generally need to go foam, although a few hybrid can work.

The problem with springs you have to fold the mattress to get it into the berth thus breaking the springs. This looks like it will work for us.
This is the worst excuse I ever read for breaking a mattress, be honest, you are just a bit too wild nothing else :)

L

On a previous boat we had custom innerspring mattresses made. They are called articulated mattresses and they fold to go through the doors. They were pretty nice 20 years ago but now I much prefer memory foam mattresses.

Be careful with foam mattresses. We got one from a relative who tried it and didn't like it, but it was newer than ours so we tried it. I found it much too firm, and of course, the boat berth has no box spring (aka "foundation") so it's even worse. We moved it to a guest bedroom ashore and even with a soft box spring, it's just not comfortable.

Maybe someone else would love it. I think the heavier you are, the firmer mattress you need. Or something. But the point is, it's a very personal thing. Don't assume just buying a foam mattress someone else highly recommended is going to work for you.

I really need to get a new mattress. I was sleeping really well on the spring mattress that came with the boat, but for whatever reason, I'm not any more. It's too firm for me, and it's just killing my back.

I really need to get a new mattress. I was sleeping really well on the spring mattress that came with the boat, but for whatever reason, I'm not any more. It's too firm for me, and it's just killing my back.

Dave find a store where you can test a Leeza or purple bed.:thumb:

I have had back trouble for years. Mattress trouble also due to the back trouble.

I won't say a memory foam topper will stop your trouble nor did it STOP mine but the topper made the bed FAR, FAR better. Our home bed, the trailer bed, and the boat bed all got them once we bought the first topper.

I'd like to.

I have had back trouble for years. Mattress trouble also due to the back trouble.

I won't say a memory foam topper will stop your trouble nor did it STOP mine but the topper made the bed FAR, FAR better. Our home bed, the trailer bed, and the boat bed all got them once we bought the first topper.

Yeah, I had one on there for a while. It's weird, it was definitely more comfortable, but I still woke up with a sore back. I don't have a bad back otherwise. As soon as I stand up and move around a bit, its fine.

I dunno. I haven't had good luck with beds for the last few years. Pillows either. It's an odd thing to be bad at, but I somehow manage. I'm also not very good with can openers. I think I'm the only one. Can't imagine how I could possibly be doing that wrong either, lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We have a king sized inner spring mattress

When we ordered it, for $100 extra they cut it in half obviously finishing it off properly and then zippered it top and bottom.

Easy to get into tight spots and you can't feel when your partner moves around and vice versa

There are any number of new “foam” mattresses on the market. Virtually all ���������� money back trials. Either unpack on the boat and try or try at home and then wrestle the mattress from home to boat and dock to stateroom. Virtually all can be cut to fit if you are comfortable on them. Combine with one of the stiff plastic air circulation foundation pads and Robert’s your Mother’s Uncle.

Handcraft Mattresses (boatbeds.com, I think) will add hinges in foam or innerspring mattresses. In our case, that feature would make access to under-mattress storage easier...

Not inexpensive. OTOH, fitterd to shape and covered properly is probably what accounts for much of the cost.

There have been a few long mattress threads recently, here and on cruisersforum...

-Chris

Night 3 and doing great!! So far so good. Getting a good night sleep. One thing I have noticed is when I turn over there is no bouncing over to the other side. Wife like that about it too......

Nova foam mattress from Costco.com.
Cat's meow, have one on the boat and one at home, 3years now and we love them, especially with a heated mattress topper.
They ship vacuum packed and are easy to bring aboard and get to the stateroom.

Bill

Our old KK Manatee came with the best of nearly everything, including a center-hinged Handcraft 60 x 80 Mattress. To no avail, my Admiral has spent a fortune on latex, air, foam and natural material mattresses in the last 10 years trying to beat the comfort of this Handcraft product. She still thinks it’s the best. We’d surely replace it with the same model if and when it wears out. A good night’s sleep aboard is well worth spending a big chunk of boat budget on.

I dunno. I haven't had good luck with beds for the last few years. Pillows either. It's an odd thing to be bad at, but I somehow manage. I'm also not very good with can openers. I think I'm the only one. Can't imagine how I could possibly be doing that wrong either, lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I always just figured the bad nights rest was me getting old. I keep hoping I will find a comfortable mattress when I’m away from home that would point me in a good direction. We stayed in a hotel in Idaho once where the pillows were so nice I was tempted to take them with us. Somehow it didn’t occur to me to pull off the covers and see what they were until we were long gone.

For can openers, try turning the handle the other direction.

So Don, you're telling me that you've got a Queen that rolls you both towards the middle? If it's still for sale, I'll take it. :)

We have had good luck with a queen Leesa, they have a couple of firmness ratings, also Saatva makes a lower height innerspring that can be bent somewhat and is for platform beds, we have that at home on an adjustable base in split king size. That is wonderful as the bed does not transfer movement, and is an innerspring mattress.

I bought an AmazonBasics foam mattress. I got the 8” thick version. It’s a composite type mattress with several layers of foam. I really like it. It gives me plenty of support and isn’t too thick. At $146.00 it was a bargain. I purchased another for the other berth in the main cabin.

We have been sleeping on our new Leeza for a couple of weeks now and can say we are sleeping much better. I am no longer sore and stiff when I get up in the morning. This was a good choice for us.

Tom,
We are also looking for a mattress. Is there a place in Portland or Longview/Kelso where you were able to test drive one? Looked at Ikea and was not impressed.

Wayne & Dana

Tom,
We are also looking for a mattress. Is there a place in Portland or Longview/Kelso where you were able to test drive one? Looked at Ikea and was not impressed.

Wayne & Dana

Yes, we went to Macy's at the Loyd Center, 4th floor.

Mattress marine vs land house

re: foam mattresses,
Is there a difference in foam mattresses built for marine environment versus for houses on land?
Maybe a difference in type of foam that does not retain water?
Kayakeur, surfing the wake.

re: foam mattresses,

Is there a difference in foam mattresses built for marine environment versus for houses on land?

Maybe a difference in type of foam that does not retain water?

Kayakeur, surfing the wake.

Yep, the marine version costs twice as much

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom