Security while at anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've been all over the Bahamas in the last few years, there's nowhere that I'd be concerned about security- except for Nassau and Freeport.

Petty theft is a minor concern- don't be the easiest target. If we leave our RIB down and tied to the boat for the night I use a cable and padlock. It's far from burgler-proof but I just need to be a harder target than the next boat.

I keep a couple of machetes stashed onboard in case anyone gets a crazy idea to break in. Perfectly legal, and in close quarters a large blade is more dangerous than a handgun.

Near Nassau our German Shepherd sleeps on deck- we've never had an issue. A dog adds a lot of inconvenience to a cruising boat, I wouldn't recommend one for a security system. But we had the dog before the boat, so since im dealing with the inconvenience I'm quite content to let him do his job.

Without using a/c I want airflow,that requires some form of ventilation both ends, in our case leaving the cockpit door partly open. Never bothered me, until I saw this thread.
But I have thought about the easy target: dinghy and outboard, left in the water overnight. So easy to row up,uncleat or cut the line, and row away with it in tow to a safe motor starting distance.

Is it really that much of a problem in the land of the free and the home of the brave? (-;

Seems a bit extreme to be locking yourself in with laser beams, panic buttons, tacks on the deck, electric fences and shotguns at the ready.
I thought the whole idea of getting away was to leave your worries behind, not add to them.

On the West Coast of the US I don't lock down the boat overnight when anchored out.. never felt the need. That being said I do also have other deterrents available if necessary.

Out of the US I often feel the need to keep the boat closed up so it makes it harder to get in from the outside when all are asleep. This includes everything from the West Coast of Mexico to Florida where we are not allowed to have additional deterrents. In these areas we always lift the dinghy at night.. this appears to others your conscious of your security.

When we cruised the So. Pacific there was a fair amount of theft that occurred in the cruising community, So it happens even in paradise, I didn't know anybody that had boats " broken into" if they were locked down.
HOLLYWOOD

Personally I like the idea of a silenced 9mm for restricting damage limitation to the intruder without collateral to the boat.
If anyone's considering a dog then do a little research for a Belgian breed called a 'Schipperke' (Shipperkay).
These dogs are bred specifically as barge security dogs and are extremely good at defending their territory whilst making good family pets.
We always lock the doors and only leave windows open with screens on, I have a tazer by the bed and a very good baton. Only had to use the baton once, broke a left collarbone, right thigh, then 'helped' the intruder over board and we've never had trouble since.

The OP is asking about the Bahamas.

Absolutely he is. However, good practices are good practices and bad ones are bad. Pick the worst place you might be and design for that, then you'll be fine everywhere. If you can't design comfortably for a location then don't anchor there overnight.

Nassau and Freeport to have high crime rates, like any city that has many times more people there daily than they have residents. Simple math. However, most marinas are secure and many anchorages are. The crime that happens with a purse snatcher in the old town area is different.

There are places in the Caribbean that are worse, but if you read through all the security reports you seen 90% of the water crime with a common pattern. It is outboards on boats left in the water. It is dinghies left in the water. It is entry when the boat is anchored but no one on board and the doors are unlocked.

One also must condition oneself to what is important and "things" are not, compared to "lives and health." Most of the crime is petty theft of possessions, not theft of boats and not piracy and kidnapping. I'd suggest to all to go to noonsite and then to the Caribbean Security and read the details of all the crimes reported. Then think of how that one could have been prevented.

I just went to safetyandsecuritynet.org and read the most recent five reports.
1-Martinique-Unsecured dinghy stolen overnight.
2-Grenada-Unsecured dinghy stolen overnight (dinghy found sunk in Mangroves the next day and motor gone.
3-Same as #2
4-Antigua-Unlocked dinghy stolen from restaurant dock
5-Sint Maarten-Sailing school dinghy stolen from dock around 8 pm.

Here is the link for reported crimes and in 2018, there were 7 violent crimes, 3 of which were in Honduras.

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/cssn-annual-report-2018-reported-yacht-crime-caribbean/

Here are noonsite's reports of piracy.

https://www.noonsite.com/General/Piracy/piracy-reports-2018

And here is 2019 so far:

https://www.noonsite.com/General/Piracy/piracy-security-incident-reports-2018-1/

There were 13 reports in February and I'm sure many more not reported, but here's a bit of info on them.

8 were dinghy and or outboard.
2 boats burgled while all ashore during the day.
1 boat burgled while ashore at night.
1 suspicious activity
1 theft of a dinghy hoist and a grill

Now, I'm not suggesting to feel there is no risk, but the number of boats invaded with persons sleeping aboard just is very low.

In January, in the Portobello area of Panama, several boats were either attempted or boarded by armed men in a panga. In one case the thieves kept yelling "Cocaine" but the owners claimed they found none. They stole computers, etc. but didn't take the jewelry. In another case, a large dog deterred the criminals. In another they did pistol whip and rob.

Just use your best judgement. Look for patterns. For instance Rodney Bay in St. Lucia has had dinghies stolen every year I've followed this. Seems common sense not to leave them accessible there.

I would personally not leave my boat as the only one in an anchorage and go to town anywhere, but definitely not in areas we're discussing. However, as someone mentioned above, I live in a community with 325 houses and security and no robberies in the 6+ years we've been there. I still have gates and my home is still alarmed.

...We always lock the doors and only leave windows open with screens on, I have a taser by the bed and a very good baton. Only had to use the baton once, broke a left collarbone, right thigh, then 'helped' the intruder over board and we've never had trouble since.
With those injuries, his swimming style would have been interesting.:)

Personally I like the idea of a silenced 9mm for restricting damage limitation to the intruder without collateral to the boat.
If anyone's considering a dog then do a little research for a Belgian breed called a 'Schipperke' (Shipperkay).
These dogs are bred specifically as barge security dogs and are extremely good at defending their territory whilst making good family pets.
We always lock the doors and only leave windows open with screens on, I have a tazer by the bed and a very good baton. Only had to use the baton once, broke a left collarbone, right thigh, then 'helped' the intruder over board and we've never had trouble since.

We have a Schipperke, I will attest she is a better watchdog than any of the three German Shepherd's we have had over the years.. and her size makes her a perfect boat dog. The sounds that wake that dog up from a dead sleep are rarely heard by us.. and she rarely has sounded a false alarm.
Being all black they like to hide in the shadows and just watch.. most of the time people dont even know she is aboard until they touch the boat!
HOLLYWOOD

The OP also raised a specific concern about the boat being left unattended for long periods, remote from where he lives (Bahamas versus California). I have been considering the same future issue, with a boat in another country and perhaps even moored out in the harbor as opposed to being in a marina.

The key to managing security in that situation is in technology. Various solutions have been mentioned such as motion sensors, pressure switches, door switches, infra or laser beams, lights, sound alarms, cameras, etc. All of this must be coupled to a central security control system with a dependable wifi connection. Buy a local SIM card with data, ensure solar can charge a dedicated battery to run the security system. Then obviously all monitored by a good phone and laptop app.

It's all doable and will be an investment. Perhaps hiring a consultant would be worthwhile if one doesn't have the personal technical skills.

This level of security obviously gives peace of mind even when sleeping onboard, where it can help to deter petty theft as well.

Of course, if you're cruising Patagonia and the natives are still running around in loin clothes, then you can spread tacks on deck - all of this to protect your stash of paraffin that you trade with remote tribes :)

Wow, quite a myriad of responses. Thanks to everyone who replied. My take away is that there doesn’t seem to be a high likelihood of someone entering the boat while we are sleeping on anchor. That being said it would be prudent to at least close the doors, locking them would certainly be better.

I will leave my skiff in the water but I do have a good cable and lock.

Wow, quite a myriad of responses. Thanks to everyone who replied. My take away is that there doesn’t seem to be a high likelihood of someone entering the boat while we are sleeping on anchor. That being said it would be prudent to at least close the doors, locking them would certainly be better.

I will leave my skiff in the water but I do have a good cable and lock.

Cable and Lock no problem for thieves, but it's your choice.

Lets not forget that bringing a firearm to the bahamas will either get confescated or if you hide and use it be prepared for a uncomfy jail cell.

In the US I don't worry much about property.. That's what insurance is for and for security at night I sleep with a gun..

You foreign guys might think a break in isn't such a big deal but here in the states a home invasion carries a higher penalty(a stiff one) and keeping someone from leaving would add kidnapping charges(which carry up to a life sentence). People frequently get shot during a home invasion because they may have seen something and this is where the castle doctrine/shotgun wielding homeowner reputation the US has comes from.

In the Bahamas i'd just keep an eye out but play the odds and hope they just want my stuff.

Is that so the wife can sleep thru the shooting? :eek:

But, don't you have to wake her anyway to help drag out the offensive body?

I was hesitating to share, since it's a bit off topic, but this seems to have digressed already.

Once I was on a mooring ball, I believe it was at Sucia. It was a nice night so we left the dinghy in the water on the snap davits, and the cockpit door open. In bed nearly asleep I felt the boat rock as though someone had climbed aboard the swim platform. Having heard no dinghy, and assuming nobody was swimming out there, I ignored it. Later I thought I felt / heard it again, but thought maybe my brother had gotten up. It didn't repeat so back to sleep.

Eventually the wind shifted and the boat started banging against the ball. I had to get up and fix it. When I walked out to the cockpit, I nearly had a heart attack as someone DOVE out of the dinghy into the water!

Fortunately, it was just a seal.

BD

Lets not forget that bringing a firearm to the bahamas will either get confescated or if you hide and use it be prepared for a uncomfy jail cell.

Not true.

I have cruised the Bahamas with firearms on board. I'm in the Bahamas at this moment. You must declare them, record the serial number, and report the number of rounds on board. They DO NOT confescate (sic) them, but you'd best be honest with your reporting. The regulations say they must be kept under lock & key. In the event that you must leave the boat unattended (fly home), you are required to turn the firearm in to the local police who will give you a receipt, and return the firearm upon your return. Customs want to inspect the firearm when clearing in, but I have yet to have them come aboard, they always say they will but don't show, haven't yet. They make no fuss about guns.

My take, is pretty simple.
I don't go places or even stop at any place where I am going to be concerned.
And once I've made that determination, I don't worry about it.

There are simply too many things to be worried about, if you worry about everything, in life in general, but certainly on a boat.

I've been to the Exumas because it was considered "safe".

Conversely, I did three days off shore skipping most of Central America because it was iffy enough for me not to stop.

If you can't sleep at night, what's the point?

Lastly, my 30 year old key for the doors broke 5 years. I have one spare, but decided the bigger danger is me locking myself out. Therefore, I haven't locked the doors since 2014.

Make a choice and go for it.

Not true.

I have cruised the Bahamas with firearms on board. I'm in the Bahamas at this moment. You must declare them, record the serial number, and report the number of rounds on board. They DO NOT confescate (sic) them, but you'd best be honest with your reporting. The regulations say they must be kept under lock & key. In the event that you must leave the boat unattended (fly home), you are required to turn the firearm in to the local police who will give you a receipt, and return the firearm upon your return. Customs want to inspect the firearm when clearing in, but I have yet to have them come aboard, they always say they will but don't show, haven't yet. They make no fuss about guns.

As I understand it if you bring a gun to the Bahamas you must also declare the ammunition (type, count). If on the way out, the ammunition count doesn't match, you'll have some serious explaining to do.

"Only had to use the baton once, broke a left collarbone, right thigh, then 'helped' the intruder over board and we've never had trouble since."

Irish Rambler, where are your manners!? You failed to give him a weight belt as a party favor!
Seriously, good for you! In my book, walking stool samples like that have by choice crossed a line that has dire consequences.

Be careful with Terriers. We had one that would keep tabs on everything, she would alert us to the slightest of sounds and bark at the threat. One night, we heard a terrible crash towards our back door in the middle of the night. I’ll be damned if that dog didn’t dive behind a pillow in absolute silence, tapped her paw on my arm and looked towards the door “you go this time”. Smart dog. Never trust a Terrier.

Well, if things are that bad where you are that you need to resort to killing people or even consider it to stay safe it time to get the hell out of dodge IMHO.

I can't even imagine having that sort of mindset.

Living aboard 3 years, doors haven't been shut let alone locked.

Last edited:
Heard lots of yelling in my driveway at 3:30am this morning. I opened the back door and stuck my head out to see what was up and the police yelled at me to get back inside. Turns out they were chasing and arresting some suspected car thieves. They walked all around my property for 15 minutes looking for another person who ran off allegedly but couldn’t find him/her. So I’ve been up googling security options for the house (boat?). [emoji30]

Back to the boat security idea— I wonder if a taser-type gun is legal in the Bahamas? Thinking about one for the house after the incident this AM. I’m not thrilled with handguns because I figure I would probably shoot myself or someone accidentally if sleepy. I do have shotguns for hunting in the house and after this incident actually got one out after the police left, but then realized I had no shells and I felt pretty silly walking around inside the house with a shotgun with no shells. [emoji849]

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/taser-pulse-review/

Edit:
This was a first-ever incident like this for me, so I am probably overreacting. It’s funny how you always feel safe until something happens and then you don’t as much. We’ve had some car break-ins in this neighborhood a few times before, but I never really thought much about it. Hell half the time I forget to lock the car doors and the doors to my house.

I’ve always felt safe on the boat at anchor as well, but again nothing has ever happened to me to make me feel less safe so maybe I’m over confident because of my lack of experience?

Last edited:
Well, if things are that bad where you are that you need to resort to killing people or even consider it to stay safe it time to get the hell out of dodge IMHO.

re: bahamas; I've put in over a hundred nites at anchor. San Sal to west end and all in between. Neither boat HAD doors.

Yes, we’re just grateful we make it from moment to moment here in the US. Personally, I thank God if I wake up each morning without having had a home invasion during the night. Honestly, do you have nothing better to do than vent your obvious bias toward other countries?

Yes, we’re just grateful we make it from moment to moment here in the US. Personally, I thank God if I wake up each morning without having had a home invasion during the night. Honestly, do you have nothing better to do than vent your obvious bias toward other countries?

:thumb: Life must be perfect down under!

You would think they would be a little kinder to us after we played a major role in keeping their language from switching over to Japanese in the 1940's

HOLLYWOOD

You would think they would be a little kinder to us after we played a major role in keeping their language from switching over to Japanese in the 1940's

HOLLYWOOD

Thanks, but to be clear I’m not out to criticize the Aussies. Some of the most helpful folks on this forum are from down under. Joking’s fun, but I just think it’s lame to constantly take cheap shots at anybody’s country/state/religion/boat model.

PNW boater here...I cruise alone, 95% of the time. No worries re security here! From what you all are posting, I am pretty sure I won’t be boating in the Bahamas/Exumas!

I rarely lock anything on the boat or at home.
The only time I almost had an issue was docked at the Mystic Seaport for an MTOA rendezvous. We were 60 feet away having dinner in the tent and apparently either our dog (mighty Shizu) or a passerby scared off the would be thieves who were after my dinghy which was tied off the transom.

They were kind enough to leave behind a very nice lock blade knife, TiN coated and half serrated, right on the platform. :lol:

47 countries by boat and we’ve never locked it at night nor have we been boarded or had anything stolen. We’ve never been Freeport or Nassau or the East Side of Chicago though. When we’re out, the coconut telegraph is pretty good on letting us know where the problem areas are and we don’t go there. The same as when we’re land traveling.

HOLLYWOOD

I thought this was a post about security in the Bahamas?
Last time I checked it was British.

Back
Top Bottom