Buying new Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 44' sundeck cruiser. 40000 lbs I bought a 105 pound mantus. if I had to do it again I would buy the 85 pound

Picture of Miss Rita

Let's see if you are able to view picture

Attachments

• Miss Rita.jpg
    Miss Rita.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 156
Ranger,
I meant very comparable like Supreme and Rocna, Boss and Vulcan, Davis and Delta.
But many anchors are unique enough not to be part of a group.
Also I question if "roll bar" anchors should be called roll bar anchors.
The roll bar only functions as a setting device. The roll bar dosn't identify the anchor as a basic type. You can call a PU truck an automatic but that only identifies the transmission .. it's still a PU truck. Those anchors usually refered to as roll bar anchors are mostly (or entirely) scoop or plow anchors. And of course anchors like the Delta are plow anchors that use ballast as a setting aid ... like the first plow (CQR). Of course there are scoop anchors like the Max that don't look like the other scoop anchors .. but they are still scoop anchors. The Max is another anchor that stands by itself. No other brand is similar enough for comparison.

Oh great Steve,
And the pic tells a lot about what you need for an anchor. Oversized because you have oversized windage. So look for an anchor that is both a high holding power (HHP) anchor, large and a bit heavier than most would use for your size boat.

You must be about "good to go" on this now.

Size

Do you think 65# Mantus with 150' of 3/8 chain plus 3/4 nylon rope will do it?

I do. But I am also the one that wants you to keep your old one for a while. :)

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked! 24 hours on an anchor thread and only 36 comments:)

Thanks

I will keep it, all 45#s of iron. I will place my order for the mantus tomorrow. Thanks to all members input.

Congrats and good luck with the new boat! We are looking forward to cruising the TN River valley in the next few years.

According to the Mantus website, that should be fine until our get some very high winds. Before you order, check out the size of the anchor to ensure that it will fit on the bow and your anchor roller can take the weight.

Ranger,
I meant very comparable like Supreme and Rocna, Boss and Vulcan, Davis and Delta.
But many anchors are unique enough not to be part of a group.
Also I question if "roll bar" anchors should be called roll bar anchors.
The roll bar only functions as a setting device. The roll bar dosn't identify the anchor as a basic type. You can call a PU truck an automatic but that only identifies the transmission .. it's still a PU truck. Those anchors usually refered to as roll bar anchors are mostly (or entirely) scoop or plow anchors. And of course anchors like the Delta are plow anchors that use ballast as a setting aid ... like the first plow (CQR). Of course there are scoop anchors like the Max that don't look like the other scoop anchors .. but they are still scoop anchors. The Max is another anchor that stands by itself. No other brand is similar enough for comparison.

Fair enough; I was just winging it with the idea of grouping like designs.

I haven't looked across all the makers' recommendation charts to see if the cluster together at similar weights for similar anchor. Have you? Or anyone? Just thinking on behalf of Steve's original question... and the 65# Mantus he recently mentioned, for his pictured boat. (Maybe a 50K# boat? High windage?)

Yep, the SuperMAX is seriously different. I usually describe it as a back-hoe attached to an anchor shank. :)

-Chris

Having chosen your anchor, surely you rely on its chosen manufacturer as to size. Anchor mfrs want good performance and to sell as much anchor as they can, they are not likely to undersize, subject to running your boat type past them, take their advice.
I`m not so negative about CQRs. Ours is now backup to a Super Sarca, but it served us ok, was probably a copy type,it came with the boat, and certainly did not look oversized.

Boat weight

My boat is 30,000#s, but I don't know if the charts are for "dry" weight or loaded, it holds 500gals of fuel and 250 of h2o. Also all the stuff we bring along!
Might be 40,000#s?

SteveandZoila,
Don't worry about the weight unless you will be anchoring where the boat will be heaving or pitching on the rode.
The main concern is your very high windage. A boat 10 or 15' longer may not exceed your windage.

Size

I wonder what the average 40' aft cabin, sundeck, trawler has as a main anchor. But I am not doing a survey, ave. does make it correct, just curious. I want to survive the worst storm.

Yes, I think that would be plenty of anchor and ground tackle for that boat BUT..as already mentioned-make sure it will fit on your bow mechanism. Rollers and bow have to be compatible with the anchor to self release and secure it properly.

Surviving a storm at anchor is probably only 10 to 20 percent anchor...lots more goes into preparing for stormy weather at anchor.

Long duration storms should be avoided in most power vessels like ours....like Craig said.

Short duration storms such as microbursts from thunderstorms can be supplemented by engine power...

I do. But I am also the one that wants you to keep your old one for a while. :)

As did I in post 8, P1, where I said...

"I would just add one thing. Please don't buy a new CQR. If one did come with the boat, by all means try it, but with them, getting the set is critical. It is one type which has definitely been left behind by the newer designs, although they still can (the operative word, can), work well, depending on if it's an original or a knock-off, and how much the shank hinge, (its Achilles heel), is worn. They are often nigh on impossible to set, depending on the bottom involved. Reliability of setting, and easier setting, are the main benefits from the later generation anchors."

Because that's the operative issue here. Nearly new CQRs, especially the Manson version, (as they are better made, & have a longer shank that most), will often be fine if set well, and in the right bottom substrate, as long as the shank hinge is snug, (check for slop & wobble here), but so often when they come with the boat, (as mine did), they are worn, rusty, and often a knock-off as well. From the wear they are often loose and sloppy in the shank hinge, and if so, it is that which tends to add to the design deficiency that makes them hard to set, because they just flop sideways across the bottom, especially if it is a bit weedy. Mine failed to set about 8 times in the space of an hour in mild conditions, in one anchorage, just because of that wear wobble, and the weed on the bottom. I gave up, left that anchorage, bought a Super Sarca the next boat show, and have never looked back. Your Mantus should serve you well, but if the CQR is not worn at the hinge, is ok for a back-up - you won't need it anyway...probably... :D

Last edited:
You're braver than I am. Tie the boat to a dock and stay out of the storms.

And if you live aboard at anchor like we do?

Storms are a part of life here in summer, this year we have had several at 50+ and one at 80+.

NOVEMBER 14 2016

Brisbane weather: Severe storm topples shipping containers, moves planes
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-containers-moves-planes-20161113-gsoj6m.html

All pretty localized, cells are a couple of miles across and travel fast.

Last edited:
And if you live aboard at anchor like we do?.

You might find this hard to believe but I didn't write that reply to you. But since you asked the question go ahead and reread that post you quoted.

If you live aboard at anchor year round first of all, congratulations. Secondly I sincerely doubt you would need to consult the forum about which anchor we think you should use, the one stuck in the mud right now seems to hold you steady enough to receive an internet signal.

My boat is 30,000#s, but I don't know if the charts are for "dry" weight or loaded, it holds 500gals of fuel and 250 of h2o. Also all the stuff we bring along!
Might be 40,000#s?

I wonder what the average 40' aft cabin, sundeck, trawler has as a main anchor. But I am not doing a survey, ave. does make it correct, just curious. I want to survive the worst storm.

I suspect the recommendation charts are meant to represent total (loaded) weight.

Just glanced at the Mantus sizing chart, looks like they think the 65# model would be just right on the edge for serious storms, for your boat: Cruising, 39-43', < 30K-lbs, winds > 50 kts... with no extra consideration for loaded weight or windage evident.

-Chris

Thanks

When I hit the "thanks" button at the bottom of a post, it doesn't seem to work. I am reading every post. Thanks you all. I am working on the boat now, preparing. We will be living aboard this spring for at least 4 months, on the hook as much as possible. Just doing the Tennessee river 1st to gain some skills and finish upgrades. It still will be over a 1000miles of cruising. Then we will plan the open water in the gulf, with a great anchor!

I have researched, and watched hours of videos , the question is the right size for my boat. 30,000 dry, who knows what loaded is, ie 500 fuel 350 h2o, etc.

Rocna Vulcan model. Sticks l like glue and priced right. Check with TF's HopCar for prices. Get the 33kg size using an all chain rode. You'll never look back.

I'm a long term claw guy, and I've had both Bruce and Lewmar, a Bruce knockoff. I have seriously flirted with getting a Rochna based on good reports from friends and at this forum, but it's hard to change from a tried and true setup that has never failed me on this boat: 66 lb Lewmar, 300 ft of 3/8 all-chain rode. It is very rare to need more scope than 3:1 on mud or gravel, typical PNW fare. So....tell me more Rochna success stories that might push me over to the other side. The boat weighs 40,000 lbs, sportfish profile and windage. I'm all ears.

Ken, if it works, keep it. Claws are awesome in the heavy mud of the San Francisco estuary.

I'm a long term claw guy, and I've had both Bruce and Lewmar, a Bruce knockoff. I have seriously flirted with getting a Rochna based on good reports from friends and at this forum, but it's hard to change from a tried and true setup that has never failed me on this boat: 66 lb Lewmar, 300 ft of 3/8 all-chain rode. It is very rare to need more scope than 3:1 on mud or gravel, typical PNW fare. So....tell me more Rochna success stories that might push me over to the other side. The boat weighs 40,000 lbs, sportfish profile and windage. I'm all ears.

Check this series out first. Steve on Panope has tested many types, the Rocna included, and n real world, reversing current type situations. There are some surprises there...

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s42/anchor-setting-videos-23378.html

sv Panope

Thanks , I did watch all the vids, and Yes there some surprises , I trusted his vids over all the others I watched. The reversing was the most important, and well done.

Peter,
"Real world reversing situations" ?
At least 99% of the time reversals are far less than one knot ... not even close to three. So not even close to the real world IMO. Reversals are imoprtant but slow and gentle is the norm.
But the rest of his resting is fabulous .. especially the reducing scope tests. That separates the overall performers from the limited capabilities catergory.

Last edited:
Yes, everyone who spends time on anchor has a story. And no, I never owned a plow but have been the Delta route with boat a 55 and an 88# on my 40' Silverton. I now believe that plow style anchors live up to their names........they plow!

My suggestion to the OP is purchase one of the many newly designed anchors and go at least one size larger. But of course, I suspect....predict someone will respond to this post telling how his 12# Delta or other plow design holds his 50' whatever in gales with no problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom